Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 5, 2020, 20:05   #321
spara
Adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 234
spara is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by luneya View Post
It certainly was true back when rune id was introduced. Perhaps it's been changed since. This is really an issue where I have no opinion either way--and I expect most players would be similarly ambivalent. The behavior of the potions with respect to runes should be whatever is easiest from a code-maintenance standpoint.
Whatever the system is, it should be consistent. Back in the day when rune-ID was introduced I remember quite a lot of discussion on this and in the end I "think" the consensus was that you can't learn runes from drinking potions, reading scrolls or innate abilities since those have no runes. They are different kind of magic or alchemy or whatever. That was quite some time ago though so I might be totally wrong here.
spara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2020, 20:55   #322
wobbly
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 2,375
wobbly is on a distinguished road
resist heat potions do teach the rune if you are wearing rfire at the time. Presumably because of the double resist. This however doesn't work with potions of rpoison for some reason.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2020, 20:56   #323
DavidMedley
Knight
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 763
DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
resist heat potions do teach the rune if you are wearing rfire
What a weird trick! Got it to work for rCold just now.
DavidMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2020, 21:48   #324
spara
Adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 234
spara is on a distinguished road
Maybe @ could only learn runes when wearing a concrete rune. Fire and cold by drinking a potion and wearing the rune. See invisibility scroll when wearing the rune. Innate abilities would identify the associated runes on wearing them. After shapeshift to bat @ would learn the assosiated runes if wearing them. And so on. That would be logical and consistent.
spara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2020, 22:03   #325
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 55
Posts: 8,456
Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by spara View Post
Maybe @ could only learn runes when wearing a concrete rune. Fire and cold by drinking a potion and wearing the rune. See invisibility scroll when wearing the rune. Innate abilities would identify the associated runes on wearing them. After shapeshift to bat @ would learn the assosiated runes if wearing them. And so on. That would be logical and consistent.
I've filed an issue for this; I'll look more closely at the logic, but this does appear sensible.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2020, 22:23   #326
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 1,950
Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I've filed an issue for this; I'll look more closely at the logic, but this does appear sensible.
Ever backward in what I thought was one of the principal purposes of rune-id, to remove some of the tedium of the identification process. I'm quite certain that I've begun to despise the reversals in the jewelry identification game. Seeing DL 98 littered with Amulets of Resist Lightning and Rings of Protection, is ridiculous. They don't have to be cursed, they just don't disappear until @ physically walks over them. Tedious.
__________________
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2020, 22:35   #327
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 55
Posts: 8,456
Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
Ever backward in what I thought was one of the principal purposes of rune-id, to remove some of the tedium of the identification process. I'm quite certain that I've begun to despise the reversals in the jewelry identification game. Seeing DL 98 littered with Amulets of Resist Lightning and Rings of Protection, is ridiculous. They don't have to be cursed, they just don't disappear until @ physically walks over them. Tedious.
Are you also complaining about the separate change that was suggested, and that you quoted my response to? I can't see anything obviously wrong with it, but I do miss things.

Rune ID was certainly intended to remove some of the tedium, but also make it a meaningful part of the game, and like any part of the game it has to be open to questions of whether it makes logical sense, whether there are jarring inconsistencies, etc.

As for the unknown rune change - in the 5 days since that change was made, the discussions here have led me to think that automatic ignoring of standard jewellery, but not of stuff that has extra curses, is probably the correct thing to do (although we may end up going back to the original situation).
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2020, 23:30   #328
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 1,950
Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Are you also complaining about the separate change that was suggested, and that you quoted my response to? I can't see anything obviously wrong with it, but I do miss things.
Possibly I misunderstood the proposed change, but, would it mean objects like scrolls and potions wouldn't be identified unless the relevant situation were present?
__________________
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2020, 00:35   #329
DavidMedley
Knight
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 763
DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
Possibly I misunderstood the proposed change, but, would it mean objects like scrolls and potions wouldn't be identified unless the relevant situation were present?
No, the idea is to sometimes give rune knowledge as well as auto-id scrolls and potions on use as usual.
DavidMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2020, 00:36   #330
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 55
Posts: 8,456
Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
Possibly I misunderstood the proposed change, but, would it mean objects like scrolls and potions wouldn't be identified unless the relevant situation were present?
Ah, I see what you mean. I was taking this as no change to ID of potions and scrolls, but the runes for properties acquired by shapechange would only be learned if the character is wearing a relevant piece of equipment - the way it works for !rFire now.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Current master post-4.1.3 Nick Vanilla 505 June 16, 2019 00:26
Suggestion for Rangers (repost from master-post thread) Thraalbee Vanilla 1 April 13, 2019 18:08
Issues on current master Nick Vanilla 277 June 18, 2017 22:30
Bugs and complaints on current master Nick Vanilla 588 April 27, 2017 22:54
Master Thief Grotug Idle chatter 1 March 26, 2017 23:54


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.