AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old May 5, 2020, 20:05   #321
spara
Adept

spara is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by luneya View Post
It certainly was true back when rune id was introduced. Perhaps it's been changed since. This is really an issue where I have no opinion either way--and I expect most players would be similarly ambivalent. The behavior of the potions with respect to runes should be whatever is easiest from a code-maintenance standpoint.
Whatever the system is, it should be consistent. Back in the day when rune-ID was introduced I remember quite a lot of discussion on this and in the end I "think" the consensus was that you can't learn runes from drinking potions, reading scrolls or innate abilities since those have no runes. They are different kind of magic or alchemy or whatever. That was quite some time ago though so I might be totally wrong here.
spara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2020, 20:55   #322
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
resist heat potions do teach the rune if you are wearing rfire at the time. Presumably because of the double resist. This however doesn't work with potions of rpoison for some reason.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2020, 20:56   #323
DavidMedley
Knight

DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
resist heat potions do teach the rune if you are wearing rfire
What a weird trick! Got it to work for rCold just now.
DavidMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2020, 21:48   #324
spara
Adept

spara is on a distinguished road
Maybe @ could only learn runes when wearing a concrete rune. Fire and cold by drinking a potion and wearing the rune. See invisibility scroll when wearing the rune. Innate abilities would identify the associated runes on wearing them. After shapeshift to bat @ would learn the assosiated runes if wearing them. And so on. That would be logical and consistent.
spara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2020, 22:03   #325
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by spara View Post
Maybe @ could only learn runes when wearing a concrete rune. Fire and cold by drinking a potion and wearing the rune. See invisibility scroll when wearing the rune. Innate abilities would identify the associated runes on wearing them. After shapeshift to bat @ would learn the assosiated runes if wearing them. And so on. That would be logical and consistent.
I've filed an issue for this; I'll look more closely at the logic, but this does appear sensible.
Old May 6, 2020, 22:23   #326
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I've filed an issue for this; I'll look more closely at the logic, but this does appear sensible.
Ever backward in what I thought was one of the principal purposes of rune-id, to remove some of the tedium of the identification process. I'm quite certain that I've begun to despise the reversals in the jewelry identification game. Seeing DL 98 littered with Amulets of Resist Lightning and Rings of Protection, is ridiculous. They don't have to be cursed, they just don't disappear until @ physically walks over them. Tedious.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2020, 22:35   #327
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
Ever backward in what I thought was one of the principal purposes of rune-id, to remove some of the tedium of the identification process. I'm quite certain that I've begun to despise the reversals in the jewelry identification game. Seeing DL 98 littered with Amulets of Resist Lightning and Rings of Protection, is ridiculous. They don't have to be cursed, they just don't disappear until @ physically walks over them. Tedious.
Are you also complaining about the separate change that was suggested, and that you quoted my response to? I can't see anything obviously wrong with it, but I do miss things.

Rune ID was certainly intended to remove some of the tedium, but also make it a meaningful part of the game, and like any part of the game it has to be open to questions of whether it makes logical sense, whether there are jarring inconsistencies, etc.

As for the unknown rune change - in the 5 days since that change was made, the discussions here have led me to think that automatic ignoring of standard jewellery, but not of stuff that has extra curses, is probably the correct thing to do (although we may end up going back to the original situation).
Old May 6, 2020, 23:30   #328
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Are you also complaining about the separate change that was suggested, and that you quoted my response to? I can't see anything obviously wrong with it, but I do miss things.
Possibly I misunderstood the proposed change, but, would it mean objects like scrolls and potions wouldn't be identified unless the relevant situation were present?
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2020, 00:35   #329
DavidMedley
Knight

DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Possibly I misunderstood the proposed change, but, would it mean objects like scrolls and potions wouldn't be identified unless the relevant situation were present?
No, the idea is to sometimes give rune knowledge as well as auto-id scrolls and potions on use as usual.
DavidMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2020, 00:36   #330
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Ah, I see what you mean. I was taking this as no change to ID of potions and scrolls, but the runes for properties acquired by shapechange would only be learned if the character is wearing a relevant piece of equipment - the way it works for !rFire now.