Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old September 23, 2015, 14:35   #41
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post

'With a suddenness that startled them all the wizard sprang to his feet. He was laughing! "I have it!" he cried. "Of course, of course!"'

Sure sounds like it.
That was relief. The previous hour had been no fun at all.
Old September 23, 2015, 15:46   #42
Bogatyr
Swordsman

Bogatyr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
That was relief. The previous hour had been no fun at all.
No magical detection of doors. No magical dealing with traps. Seems there's a large anti-red-book sentiment hereabouts. As was mentioned before, don't forget the mage-bargain. They are super weak and in return they are given magical mastery of the dungeon. Mages are already inferior to rogues vs. traps. Mages have to m-b-c every single step through long trapped corridors of a vault, having to make a tradeoff vs. spending a turn attacking/dealing with a monster, while rogues (at least once they reach 100% disarming) just wade through traps like they're not there.
Bogatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2015, 16:00   #43
mushroom patch
Swordsman

mushroom patch is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogatyr View Post
No magical detection of doors. No magical dealing with traps. Seems there's a large anti-red-book sentiment hereabouts. As was mentioned before, don't forget the mage-bargain. They are super weak and in return they are given magical mastery of the dungeon. Mages are already inferior to rogues vs. traps. Mages have to m-b-c every single step through long trapped corridors of a vault, having to make a tradeoff vs. spending a turn attacking/dealing with a monster, while rogues (at least once they reach 100% disarming) just wade through traps like they're not there.
?????

Mages are in no way forced to disarm traps while monsters are in LoS. What are you talking about?
mushroom patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2015, 16:43   #44
Carnivean
Knight

Carnivean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
  • No more door detection
  • Doors are identified as such as soon as they're in LOS
Are there still going to be secret doors? If there are, is this another perception check?
Carnivean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2015, 17:48   #45
Bogatyr
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom patch View Post
?????

Mages are in no way forced to disarm traps while monsters are in LoS. What are you talking about?
Nobody's forced to "not step on a trap." The claim was made that mages are equal to rogues in terms of traps, I was pointing out that they must spend (small cost, to be sure) mana on disarming them (actually my point may be slightly less valid if the rogue still must spend a turn disarming, I realized). So the rogue at 100% disarming is already in a (slightly) superior position than mages WRT traps.
Old September 23, 2015, 17:52   #46
Grotug
Veteran

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom patch View Post
?????

Can you post a youtube video of you playing? Would be fun to see.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2015, 18:05   #47
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Nobody's forced to "not step on a trap." The claim was made that mages are equal to rogues in terms of traps, I was pointing out that they must spend (small cost, to be sure) mana on disarming them (actually my point may be slightly less valid if the rogue still must spend a turn disarming, I realized). So the rogue at 100% disarming is already in a (slightly) superior position than mages WRT traps.
How soon do you expect a rogue to achieve 100% disarm rates? How early is the mage given their disarming spell? Remember that disarming can take multiple turns even if it is safe (i.e. without risk of triggering the trap).

In any event, I don't think people are opposed to red-book casters; the goal is merely to not give them a free pass from having to deal with an obstacle that everyone else must cope with. Of course ideally different classes deal with traps in different ways, but nobody should be able to ignore them outright except for certain limited cases in the late game (a rogue with 18/220 DEX should be able to walk freely through traps without them ever triggering).
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2015, 21:51   #48
Bogatyr
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
How soon do you expect a rogue to achieve 100% disarm rates? How early is the mage given their disarming spell? Remember that disarming can take multiple turns even if it is safe (i.e. without risk of triggering the trap).

In any event, I don't think people are opposed to red-book casters; the goal is merely to not give them a free pass from having to deal with an obstacle that everyone else must cope with. Of course ideally different classes deal with traps in different ways, but nobody should be able to ignore them outright except for certain limited cases in the late game (a rogue with 18/220 DEX should be able to walk freely through traps without them ever triggering).
In what universe is "having to cast disarm every step" equivalent to "able to ignore them outright?"
Old September 23, 2015, 22:17   #49
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivean View Post
Are there still going to be secret doors? If there are, is this another perception check?
No, no more secret doors. Or, if you like, doors are secret until you get LOS on them.
Old September 23, 2015, 22:18   #50
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
No magical detection of doors. No magical dealing with traps. Seems there's a large anti-red-book sentiment hereabouts.
Don't worry, everyone else will be punished too