Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 16, 2020, 22:46   #31
Sky
Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: London-ish
Age: 47
Posts: 1,631
Sky is on a distinguished road
Angband Vanilla (this game) doesn't have auto-swap with diggers.
__________________
"i can take this dracolich"
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2020, 15:57   #32
whartung
Scout
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 28
whartung is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
Angband Vanilla (this game) doesn't have auto-swap with diggers.
From the 4.2.1 tarball, in src/cmd-cave.c

Code:
static bool do_cmd_tunnel_aux(struct loc grid)
{
        ...
        /* Find what we're digging with and our chance of success */
        best_digger = player_best_digger(player, false);
        if (best_digger && best_digger != current_weapon) {
                /* Use only one without the overhead of gear_obj_for_use(). */
                oldn = best_digger->number;
                best_digger->number = 1;
                player->body.slots[weapon_slot].obj = best_digger;
                memcpy(&local_state, &player->state, sizeof(local_state));
                calc_bonuses(player, &local_state, false, true);
                used_state = &local_state;
        }
        ... dig ...
        /* Swap back */
        if (best_digger && best_digger != current_weapon) {
                best_digger->number = oldn;
                player->body.slots[weapon_slot].obj = current_weapon;
        }
        ...
}
So, looks like it does auto swap.

Oh, and this (from src/effects.c):
Code:
 * Teleport player or monster up to context->value.base grids away.
 *
 * If no spaces are readily available, the distance may increase.
 * Try very hard to move the player/monster at least a quarter that distance.
Helps explain my teleport question.
whartung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2020, 19:03   #33
Sky
Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: London-ish
Age: 47
Posts: 1,631
Sky is on a distinguished road
that must be a 4.2 thing because i just tested it in 4.1.3 and swap doesnt work.
__________________
"i can take this dracolich"
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2020, 21:43   #34
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 55
Posts: 8,399
Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
that must be a 4.2 thing because i just tested it in 4.1.3 and swap doesnt work.
Yes, correct.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2020, 15:28   #35
moosferatu
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 99
moosferatu is on a distinguished road
I've made it to DL 85 now! You all were right that the later levels weren't noticeably harder, though I assume that's because my stealth is good and I avoid a lot of fights.

I updated my character dump: http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=23594

I have a couple of questions:

1. I've been using Aglarang for a very long time:

Code:
the Katana 'Aglarang' (6d6) (+10,+10) <+5, +1>
     Found lying on the floor at 1950 feet (level 39)
     
     +5 dexterity.
     +5 speed.
     +1 attack speed.
     Cannot be harmed by Acid.
     Sustains dexterity.
     
     Combat info:
     6.0 blows/round.
     Average damage/round: 345.
I've found weapons that do more damage in special cases, but I like it because of the speed boost and the consistent standard damage. However, since I have so much speed, I was considering switching to one of these:

Code:
the Lochaber Axe 'Mundwine' (3d10) (+12,+17)
     Conjured forth by magic at 4250 feet (level 85)
     
     Slays demons, animals, evil creatures.
     Provides resistance to Acid, Lightning, Fire, Cold.
     Cannot be harmed by Acid, Fire.
     
     Combat info:
     4.7 blows/round.
     With +1 STR and +0 DEX you would get 5.0 blows
     With +0 STR and +1 DEX you would get 5.0 blows
     Average damage/round: 504.5 vs demons, 404.6 vs animals and evil
     creatures, and 305.1 vs. others.
Code:
the Mace 'Taratol' (3d6) (+12,+12)
     Dropped by Tom the Stone Troll at 2050 feet (level 41)
     
     Slays dragons (powerfully).
     Branded with lightning.
     Provides immunity to Lightning.
     Cannot be harmed by Acid, Fire.
     
     When activated, it hastens you for d20+20 turns.
     Takes 383 to 760 turns to recharge at your current speed.
     Your chance of success is 96.2%
     
     Combat info:
     5.0 blows/round.
     Average damage/round: 507 vs dragons, 377 vs creatures not
     resistant to lightning, and 247 vs. others.
Mundwine seems like a good choice, though I haven't really fought that many demons. The lightening immunity on Taratol is appealing, but it's damage against non-dragons isn't much better than Aglarang. Perhaps I should just stick with Aglarang until I find something even stronger?

2. With understanding that I could still die before making it to Sauron, I'm starting to get nervous about the final fights. Is my character strong enough? Should I be fighting more uniques and gaining more levels? Is there any other prep I should be doing?
moosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2020, 15:43   #36
sffp
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: DC Area
Posts: 76
sffp is on a distinguished road
Are you actually hitting things?

Or are you standing down the hallway firing arrows?

I might consider swapping for something that gave me another Con point (just to max out HP) but for me I keep Aglarang

(Taratol's haste self doesn't do you as much good as it does to other non-ranger @'s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosferatu View Post
I've made it to DL 85 now! You all were right that the later levels weren't noticeably harder, though I assume that's because my stealth is good and I avoid a lot of fights.

I updated my character dump: http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=23594

I have a couple of questions:

1. I've been using Aglarang for a very long time:

Code:
the Katana 'Aglarang' (6d6) (+10,+10) <+5, +1>
     Found lying on the floor at 1950 feet (level 39)
     
     +5 dexterity.
     +5 speed.
     +1 attack speed.
     Cannot be harmed by Acid.
     Sustains dexterity.
     
     Combat info:
     6.0 blows/round.
     Average damage/round: 345.
I've found weapons that do more damage in special cases, but I like it because of the speed boost and the consistent standard damage. However, since I have so much speed, I was considering switching to one of these:

Code:
the Lochaber Axe 'Mundwine' (3d10) (+12,+17)
     Conjured forth by magic at 4250 feet (level 85)
     
     Slays demons, animals, evil creatures.
     Provides resistance to Acid, Lightning, Fire, Cold.
     Cannot be harmed by Acid, Fire.
     
     Combat info:
     4.7 blows/round.
     With +1 STR and +0 DEX you would get 5.0 blows
     With +0 STR and +1 DEX you would get 5.0 blows
     Average damage/round: 504.5 vs demons, 404.6 vs animals and evil
     creatures, and 305.1 vs. others.
Code:
the Mace 'Taratol' (3d6) (+12,+12)
     Dropped by Tom the Stone Troll at 2050 feet (level 41)
     
     Slays dragons (powerfully).
     Branded with lightning.
     Provides immunity to Lightning.
     Cannot be harmed by Acid, Fire.
     
     When activated, it hastens you for d20+20 turns.
     Takes 383 to 760 turns to recharge at your current speed.
     Your chance of success is 96.2%
     
     Combat info:
     5.0 blows/round.
     Average damage/round: 507 vs dragons, 377 vs creatures not
     resistant to lightning, and 247 vs. others.
Mundwine seems like a good choice, though I haven't really fought that many demons. The lightening immunity on Taratol is appealing, but it's damage against non-dragons isn't much better than Aglarang. Perhaps I should just stick with Aglarang until I find something even stronger?

2. With understanding that I could still die before making it to Sauron, I'm starting to get nervous about the final fights. Is my character strong enough? Should I be fighting more uniques and gaining more levels? Is there any other prep I should be doing?
sffp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2020, 15:51   #37
moosferatu
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 99
moosferatu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sffp View Post
Are you actually hitting things?

Or are you standing down the hallway firing arrows?
I do both. I have a fear of wasting too many arrows. If I'm afraid of a monster (and/or don't know what it does), I will just shoot arrows at it. Otherwise, I usually start with a few arrows and finish with melee.
moosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2020, 16:47   #38
wobbly
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 2,351
wobbly is on a distinguished road
Pretty sure Aglarang does the most damage when you multiply by the extra speed. Particularly if you are shooting.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2020, 16:59   #39
Sky
Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: London-ish
Age: 47
Posts: 1,631
Sky is on a distinguished road
the unfortunate truth of rangers is that at a certain depth, you only shoot arrows at uniques or other really big mobs, because *everything* can destroy your arrows - acid hounds, plasma vortex, fire dragonfly, ice elementals, hydras, ugh, the list is endless. So yeah, you will hit things.
__________________
"i can take this dracolich"
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2020, 19:33   #40
Pete Mack
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,752
Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Taratol is nice for the immunity and activation. It is a great swap against (blue) dragon pits. But it isn't an endgame weapon. Nor, for that matter, is Mundwine. Aglarang is better, especially for a ranger who benefits from the speed whilst shooting.
You will find better weapons
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beginner questions: abilities and kemenrauko Holy_Rage Sil 8 September 1, 2016 18:36
Beginner's luck? TeKRunneR AAR 9 June 19, 2010 20:12
Modding for beginner? Zambaku Development 3 June 11, 2010 16:58
Beginner Questions ramier Vanilla 40 June 4, 2010 17:06
[U] beginner AR_chie Variants 21 August 28, 2007 08:39


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 19:06.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.