Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old August 20, 2010, 20:20   #41
Therem Harth
Knight

Therem Harth is on a distinguished road
I've got mixed feelings about increasing artifact rarity, but I do like the idea of making artifacts monster drop only.
Therem Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2010, 22:00   #42
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road
Also, I think *destruction* should destruct artifacts lying on the ground --- but maintaining the rule that artifacts are lost forever only after you get to know their name (in the latest nightlies, by either picking them up, or IDing them on the floor).

Otherwise clearing vaults for artifacts with *destruction* is too easy. Want that un-id'ed ring at 4000' in a vault? Sorry, you'll have to kill everything in between. (or use teleport-other on them. Duh. That's another issue.)
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2010, 22:57   #43
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Destruct not removing artifacts always struck me as a bit weird. I suppose it's a holdover from the days before preserve mode, when removing an artifact from a level was a Seriously Big Deal. I wouldn't mind removing that behavior, especially since it's fairly exclusive to late-game scumming.

I also wouldn't mind trying a patch where TO doesn't work on icky floors. Then at least you'd have to lure monsters outside of the vault before TO would work. It'd completely change the dynamics of GCVs, especially for the classes without Stone to Mud.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2010, 21:23   #44
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewert View Post
Currently I am hard pressed to come up with anything other than:

Unlimited home space.

Yep, that's it. Randart games are so troublesome with limited home, for myself it detracts from the fun of kill-and-gather to have to junk so many maybe useful artifacts.

I'd love an option for it. Hell, put it in "cheat" options I don't care. I play with know full monster info anyways, as I start new savefiles so often the "noncheating" method of gathering a full monster knowledge doesn't work for me...
Nice thread. It was great to skim the whole thing and take away a bunch of thoughts:

1. Very nice to see no selling mentioned so often. I'll make a renewed effort to persuade Takk to do this.

1a. Ditto 4GAI: I really love this, but not sure if Takk thinks it might not be V any more. Time to raise this one again, I think.

2. Disappointing to see so many requests for an expanded home and/or inventory. Don't get me wrong - I am the world's greatest packrat (let me send you my spreadsheet of all the Diablo II and Titan Quest items I ever found ...) but definitely not in Angband. YMMV of course, but it just isn't my thing. Not that I'll throw my toys out of the pram if somebody commits it, of course. I'm sure I'll love it - my games will just take longer, that's all.

3. Nice to see a lot of suggestions that have been discussed on IRC and/or trac and might actually happen: fractional blows, multiple pvals, themed drops, indexless edit file syntax, etc. (Derakon: the latter has already been done btw, just not committed yet.)

4. Someone mentioned "player artifacts" in the same breath as player ghosts. Tell me more ...
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2010, 23:04   #45
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
1. Very nice to see no selling mentioned so often. I'll make a renewed effort to persuade Takk to do this.
Unfortunately, it is getting harder and harder to think about balancing gold drops. Every time value pricing is tweaked, the game moves more towards selling for money.

At the moment, prices are crazy. At an absolute minimum, they should be rescaled so that reading an enchant scroll on a weapon has an expected price increase of at most 100. That's my suggested scaling factor. So the price difference between a +2 and +3 heavy crossbow should be at most 100 * probability of success, same for a chaos blade. Just maybe that would get things in line.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2010, 00:40   #46
Hariolor
Swordsman

Hariolor is on a distinguished road
This is almost certainly variant territory - but it would be fun to drastically reduce the number of artifacts, make them all more powerful overall, but allow them to "level up" with the PC (earning equal exp to the PC as long as they are being used), granting new abilities as they gain levels. Artifacts found deeper in the dungeon could still be better overall, regardless of the CLevel of @ when they're found.

Thus the phial might start off as just another everburning lantern, but over the course of the game could add activation for light, then an Rdark flag, then Rfear, etc etc.

I won't go into more detail because it's not a detailed thought, or one likely to see implemented. But since we've been discussing changing artifacts to make them more special...
Hariolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2010, 01:01   #47
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
ToME has "sentient" weapon artifacts that gain experience when you make kills with them, giving access to various elemental realms that each have sets of powers that can be randomly "purchased" by the artifact when it levels up. It's a very complicated system with the practical upshot that you eventually end up with an earthquake brand and find a new weapon.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2010, 01:42   #48
camlost
Sangband 1.x Maintainer

camlost is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I implemented this in S as a birth option, and turned it on by default. I don't recall it being difficult. Also, I'll probably be getting reports back soon regarding the popularity of the change.
Old September 1, 2010, 02:04   #49
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camlost View Post
I implemented this in S as a birth option, and turned it on by default. I don't recall it being difficult.
The coding is trivial. The problem is balancing money drops. Currently in V, you can collect all of the money from the first 3 levels and possibly still be unable to buy an average sling. In the old days, or in S I imagine, a single money drop would buy that sling.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2010, 02:52   #50
nullfame
Adept

nullfame is on a distinguished road
Quote:
2. Disappointing to see so many requests for an expanded home and/or inventory.
+5

Quote:
4. Someone mentioned "player artifacts" in the same breath as player ghosts. Tell me more ...
That would be me. Like any good Angband player I dream of my own feature/variant ideas. What I am thinking is like this:

Before my first win I had a very promising character named Wait. To this day she is my second deepest non-winner. I remember her as wielding Aglarang, branding rings and most often being fire, having pretty good (heroic) stealth, and even once wearing and activating a red dragon armour (3.1.1). Eventually she bit off more than she could chew: Tselakus. It would be nice to have an artifact that commemorated her kit choice. Maybe The Red Dragon Scale Mail of Wait with a small stealth and/or speed bonus and fire branding.

I'm thinking somewhere on the side (in the savefile, somewhere else, I haven't thought about it but you asked so I'm freestyling) save player statistics and artifacts. In some X% of the games include some very small N of those artifacts in the artifact set. While a player is playing track equipment she uses and their attributes. Did she have fire brand a lot? Maybe she carried a high stealth item for a long time? Had the same dagger for 30+ dls? Or had chaos covered since dl15? Those things become the essence of her as a character. If she crossed level Y then upon death or retirement there is a Z% chance an artifact is created based on some randomly, maybe weighted, selected number of these essences with a proper depth and rarity (which I assume exists elsewhere).
nullfame is offline   Reply With Quote