Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 30, 2007, 23:35   #1
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 55
Posts: 8,406
Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Youth or experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas View Post
I like Eddie's patch so far, and would recommend giving it a try. I've been thinking about game balance a lot recently, and coming to the conclusion that it doesn't make sense to talk about it without specifying a turn-count.
My apologies for grabbing this quote from a ladder dump

The point I wanted it to help me make is that (roughly speaking) there are two types of players - those who have ever won Angband or a variant and those who haven't. The quote, IMHO, only makes sense for players of the second type. For a player who hasn't won, the basic game-balance question is whether the game is possible to win by any means at all.

So who do we balance the game for? I say type 1 players.

Discuss.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2007, 23:59   #2
Bandobras
Knight
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 725
Bandobras is on a distinguished road
For me, the balance should be done mainly against boredom. This criterion is, of course, highly subjective. I don't even mind if the game is unwinnable or trivial, if it's not boring. Of course, most kinds of unwinnability (always killed on DL1) or triviality (just press arrow keys randomly) lead to a boring game. But if levels 1--20 are highly replayable I don't mind if I never get any deeper (which mostly the case with me through boredom or death ).
Bandobras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2007, 00:26   #3
aeneas
Adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The place of virtuous unbelievers
Posts: 158
aeneas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
My apologies for grabbing this quote from a ladder dump

The point I wanted it to help me make is that (roughly speaking) there are two types of players - those who have ever won Angband or a variant and those who haven't. The quote, IMHO, only makes sense for players of the second type. For a player who hasn't won, the basic game-balance question is whether the game is possible to win by any means at all.
Hmm- I'm not quite sure I follow you, and from the way you've phrased it I'm wondering if you might have inverted your formers and latters. Are you saying that that quote only makes sense for those who have won, or for those who haven't? I should also mention that I'm talking about V specifically- I haven't played Faangband, for instance, but I gather that it is very different from V. And Ironband, or Ironman mode in V, has built in limits as long as you don't sit on a level waiting for things to be generated.
aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2007, 01:10   #4
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 55
Posts: 8,406
Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas View Post
Hmm- I'm not quite sure I follow you, and from the way you've phrased it I'm wondering if you might have inverted your formers and latters. Are you saying that that quote only makes sense for those who have won, or for those who haven't?
Aaargh! Yes, I got that the wrong way round. I meant that the quote only means anything to those who have already won. And that players who haven't won won't care about turncount.

Quote:
I should also mention that I'm talking about V specifically- I haven't played Faangband, for instance, but I gather that it is very different from V. And Ironband, or Ironman mode in V, has built in limits as long as you don't sit on a level waiting for things to be generated.
V is the one that's most important to get balanced right, because it's likely to be the one that new players will start with. So, priority one is to get V balanced to be possible to win.

I'm not sure if I actually have a point or not.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2007, 11:01   #5
Lipa
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Slovenia
Age: 37
Posts: 24
Lipa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandobras View Post
For me, the balance should be done mainly against boredom. This criterion is, of course, highly subjective. I don't even mind if the game is unwinnable or trivial, if it's not boring. Of course, most kinds of unwinnability (always killed on DL1) or triviality (just press arrow keys randomly) lead to a boring game. But if levels 1--20 are highly replayable I don't mind if I never get any deeper (which mostly the case with me through boredom or death ).
I couldn't express my feelings any better than the above post by Bandobras. I completely agree with him. I've never won V so far, but I don't mind - as long as I'm having fun!
Lipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2007, 18:16   #6
darkdrone
Apprentice
 
darkdrone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 72
darkdrone is on a distinguished road
i havent won ever - but i cant say ive been bored!! even dying 40 times for IronBand , i cant say i've thrown the Iguana against the wall ...
darkdrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
YACD my first mage (but not getting the full mage experience) will_asher AAR 9 September 8, 2007 06:34
Really odd artifact experience ctate Vanilla 12 August 7, 2007 12:13


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 16:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.