AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old November 29, 2014, 20:19   #11
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Randarts keeps the game varied for long-term players. (I've never used it myself)

The greatest cause of death for junior players is lack-of-knowledge-of-what-can-kill-you.

A really interesting and crazy equalizer for hardcore players could be "randMonsters", or at least "RandUniques" (except a very few)! Has any variant explored this possibility?

I wonder how many 'Kavlax' types the RNG would throw at you each time!?
This is one of these things that needs an absurd amount of balancing to avoid ridiculous instadeaths. A classic case is the game-that-shall-not-be-mentioned-in-roguelike-circles[1] with its Fire Enchanted bosses that would instantly kill basically any character from full health when it died (rather than by hitting the player or anything else). Not that that particular example is particularly likely in Angband, but I could imagine similarly stupid scenarios.

[1] Alright, it's Diablo II.
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2014, 20:29   #12
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousHero View Post
This is one of these things that needs an absurd amount of balancing to avoid ridiculous instadeaths. A classic case is the game-that-shall-not-be-mentioned-in-roguelike-circles[1] with its Fire Enchanted bosses that would instantly kill basically any character from full health when it died (rather than by hitting the player or anything else). Not that that particular example is particularly likely in Angband, but I could imagine similarly stupid scenarios.
I'd be more worried about the ToME4 problem. The game gives you complete monster info for every monster you encounter, but most of them are roadbumps, which encourages you to not really pay too much attention to what the monster can do. However, every once in awhile a monster will get a combination of abilities that makes it into a massive threat...and if you don't realize this pronto then it can readily kill you.

If we can figure out how to have randomized monsters without requiring the player to read the monster info on every monster they encounter, then great. The two approaches I'd be inclined to take are:

a) bonus template systems, where you take a base monster and apply a template to it that modifies its stats in known ways. For example a "Nimble Fire Hound" would have +5 speed, an "Armored Paladin" would have +25% AC, etc.

b) a randart approach, where every monster race is rerolled each game, but inside of a given game, all monsters of that race are identical (to the extent that any two monsters of the same race are currently identical, of course). Randarts took an awful lot of fiddling to avoid making inappropriately over/underpowered items, though, and I expect a randmonsters approach to have similar issues.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2014, 20:38   #13
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I'd be more worried about the ToME4 problem. The game gives you complete monster info for every monster you encounter, but most of them are roadbumps, which encourages you to not really pay too much attention to what the monster can do. However, every once in awhile a monster will get a combination of abilities that makes it into a massive threat...and if you don't realize this pronto then it can readily kill you.
You just summarized exactly what the D2 problem was. I say "was" because eventually everybody learned (either by experience or word-of-mouth) to never ever stand near a Fire Enchanted boss in D2/HC.
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote