Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old February 8, 2018, 19:34   #11
CyclopsSlayer
Adept

CyclopsSlayer is on a distinguished road
I will admit to a bit of rage as the RNG decided to hate me, and a simple Evil Eye paralyzed me through 3 pips of FA. Only lasted an instant, but still pissed me off.
CyclopsSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2018, 20:17   #12
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
My personal take on status effects is that effects that remove all options from the player aren't very interesting unless they're heavily telegraphed and there are clear actions the player can take to avoid being hit by the status effect in the first place. Angband does not do a good job of telegraphing anything, so paralysis is not very interesting in it.

As an alternative, consider replacing paralysis with temporary slowing. Make it impossible to clear with CCW/Curing if you like. Being slow is still quite dangerous, but the player still has options.
In pos a lot of these things get you until you learn to adjust to it. Probably a play style thing but I tend to have 3 pips of rfear (1 being !heroism) just because that's pretty much the pt where fear won't paralyze you. I like the new FA. The dracolisk paralyzes you flashing on the screen is a nice shock even (or because) you are still alive and unparalayzed the next turn. I don't like FA (& SI) breaking pos's (heng's?) rule of 3. 3 rfire is 100% equipment protection, same with acid etc. 3 rfear is a little different but the safe pt from personel experience. 3 FA should just work, 3 SI should just work. At least in my opinion.

Edit: cloakers are pretty dangerous for there depth. I never notice the issue, as they appear in my monster list window but I have seen how hard they can hit. They suck.
wobbly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2018, 20:36   #13
Gwarl
Knight

Gwarl is on a distinguished road
afaik rule of three is for elemental resistance but higher resistances (eg chaos) is rule of two - two pips frees you from worry. Which is what I had in mind for inertia resistance (replacing free action)
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2018, 21:51   #14
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarl View Post
afaik rule of three is for elemental resistance but higher resistances (eg chaos) is rule of two - two pips frees you from worry. Which is what I had in mind for inertia resistance (replacing free action)
Quite possibly & I never know what part of effects is rconf & what rchaos. Ideally I grab both. I'm kind of a fan of having a wall of resists, saves remembering which of a thousands critters does what & which night-foo is actually dangerous. 2 or 3 is workable, I'd say ballance it on which gives interesting gear trade offs.

Last edited by wobbly; February 8, 2018 at 22:59.
wobbly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2018, 02:37   #15
Sideways
Swordsman

Sideways is on a distinguished road
It's 3 pips for all resistances when it comes to item damage, not sure if status effects are different.