Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > The real world > Idle chatter

Old May 14, 2012, 03:51   #1
chem
Adept

chem is on a distinguished road
Diablo 3

Hi! We all know that the Diablo franchise took many of its ideas from roguelikes, probably even Angband in particular. I really like Diablo and will be playing Diablo 3 on release day.

If anyone wants to play, my battletag is pmchem#1417 and I'll be playing a Hardcore Monk as soon as possible. North America (Eastern time).

This thread is for Diablo 3 chatter! woot.
chem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 05:29   #2
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I hope you enjoy the game. Personally I'm much more interested in Torchlight 2, since Blizzard made a few decisions about Diablo 3 I don't really like -- specifically, the online requirement and especially the nullification of moddability. Diablo 2 was made absurdly better by the addition of mods, since the base game's drop rates were predicated on the assumptions that a) you would be able to trade with other players, and b) players should be balanced against each other for PvP. Practical upshot being that all of the really interesting gear statistically never dropped. Mods fixed that nicely, and of course also could tweak or completely replace the skills, add new crafting recipes, add more enemies, etc.

Anyway, as I said, I hope you enjoy Diablo 3.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 11:54   #3
dzhang
Scout

dzhang is on a distinguished road
Erm, hardcore? I don't trust my Internet connection that much...

My battle tag is ghostaxe#1937 if you decide to play normal mode (I'll likely be playing Barbarian or Demon Hunter).
dzhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 19:28   #4
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
I'll be online as soon as it's ready - Magnate#2642. I won't be playing hardcore, at least not for a good while. Depending on how good it is, I might be away from Angband for a bit ...
Old May 15, 2012, 21:48   #5
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
I'll be online as soon as it's ready - Magnate#2642. I won't be playing hardcore, at least not for a good while. Depending on how good it is, I might be away from Angband for a bit ...
So let me rephrase that: I'll be online as soon as Blizzard recover from the clusterf*** that is release day. Not only did we all have to download it twice (ok so I exaggerate, but lots of people did), we now can't get online.

Error 37: the servers are full. Please try again later.

Also known as:

Error 37: We already have your money, sucker.

Score -1 for online-only games, +eleventy billion for piracy.
Old May 15, 2012, 21:55   #6
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I'm reading that Diablo 3 actually does most of the game logic on the server, MMO-style, meaning that the usual pirate crack (to just omit the "am I authenticated to play this game" check) wouldn't work. You'd need to get a leaked copy of the game logic, or reverse-engineer it, and make your own local server if you wanted to play without a net connection.

Which is really bizarre, frankly.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2012, 07:31   #7
Narvius
Knight

Narvius is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I'm reading that Diablo 3 actually does most of the game logic on the server, MMO-style, meaning that the usual pirate crack (to just omit the "am I authenticated to play this game" check) wouldn't work. You'd need to get a leaked copy of the game logic, or reverse-engineer it, and make your own local server if you wanted to play without a net connection.

Which is really bizarre, frankly.
And also the only thing that would ever make me even consider trying this abomination. (that said, I never really liked any of the Diablos.)
Old May 16, 2012, 10:17   #8
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

So I finally got online and started a character (playing solo because none of the people I was teed up to play with could get online). First impressions:

- it's pretty, of course. Think about how much nicer D2 looked than D1 (or how much nicer TQ looked than D2), and you have the same sort of progress again. The combat animations (I'm playing a monk) are both smooth and fast (I have a 5750 GPU which seems comfortable at max detail).

- it's eye-wateringly linear, at least so far. Very reminiscent of TQ, in fact - there's basically one route to the next objective, and almost no freedom to deviate from it at all (save for the occasional cellar). So far it feels like a prettier version of TQ. I stopped playing TQ precisely because it was too linear (I took about four or five builds through all three difficulties, compared with dozens of D2 builds).

- this is the biggie - it's been dumbed-down a lot. You get your RMB skill at cl2, your first LMB skill upgrade at cl3, your first "action bar" skill (of which you can eventually have a whole four) at cl4, etc. There aren't any choices - the cl3 upgrade is strictly better, so there's no scope for builds which maintain the cl1 skill instead. As far as I can see at the moment, every monk is going to be identical, at least until much later when the runes come into play. Compare with the divergence of builds in TQ, which starts from the moment you get your first skill point at cl2.

- the dumbing down extends to items too - there are only about four variations of early magic affixes (scouting is +MF, adventuring is +XP, reptilian is +regen, and sharp or solid or whatever it is is +dam). Admittedly this is arguable either way - too many early affixes means lots of junk, but at the moment I fear that the richness of D2's item gen will be absent.

Let's hope it picks up.
Old May 16, 2012, 11:11   #9
Thraalbee
Knight

Thraalbee is on a distinguished road
Appreciate the review. Will be interesting to see how it develops further ahead.
I use thin clients and laptops but have no gaming rig. But if DIII is good enough I might just have to get one but if it isn't, I wont.

btw, have you tired to play on a laptop? I have an i7-2620M CPU (2.7 GHz, 2core) laptop with Intel built-in graphics. That is hardly enough to run DIII, is it? Did a graphics performance test and it compares to rather slow cards.
Thraalbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2012, 14:07   #10
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraalbeast View Post
Appreciate the review. Will be interesting to see how it develops further ahead.
I use thin clients and laptops but have no gaming rig. But if DIII is good enough I might just have to get one but if it isn't, I wont.

btw, have you tired to play on a laptop? I have an i7-2620M CPU (2.7 GHz, 2core) laptop with Intel built-in graphics. That is hardly enough to run DIII, is it? Did a graphics performance test and it compares to rather slow cards.
I don't play on a laptop but my brother does - but his is a top-end Macbook with non-integrated graphics. I doubt it would run playably on any integrated GPU.

I built my new rig specifically for D3, and very pleased I did. Went from a 3.2GHz P4HT (3GB RAM) to a 3GHz i3-2120 (8GB). In the process my 5750 went from a 1st-gen x1 PCIe slot to a x16 slot! I'm not sure if D3 makes use of multiple cores though. And I'm not yet using the extra RAM because I haven't installed a 64-bit OS - that's on my to-do list.