Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old January 9, 2009, 21:39   #1
Donald Jonker
Knight

Donald Jonker is on a distinguished road
How to not townscum?

Since it seems competitions from here on out will be using disconnected stairs and taking turn count into consideration, it seems that I ought to rethink my current practice of townscumming like a fiend... only I'm not sure how.

There are simply too many items that appear too essential to gather to return to the dungeon without buying, particularly as a warrior (which I play 90% of the time), such as _dEvil, ?mapping, ?enchant_weapon (in the early game), _tele, ?phase, !CCW, and of course the perennially necessary !restore_stat.

So how do non-townscummers deal with returning to the dungeon lacking these things? Do you just deal with it, accepting that sometimes you're vulnerable from lack of kit and you'll lose a character every now and then as a consequence? Do you stockpile when possible? - I never seem to accumulate enough cash for this.

Or is playing without townscumming kind of like learning to dive - you go through growing pains and die a lot but eventually become a better player?

edit: praise the maintainer that ?phase and ?WoR are no longer problems.
Donald Jonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2009, 22:03   #2
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Life in the dungeon is tough. One must learn to do without luxuries, and necessities, on occasion.

But really, keep an strategic reserve of items that you can't live without in your home. A means of teleport comes to mind, as you'll need a 1000 turn dive in order for the stores to restock (is this still correct?).

Aside from that, just keep your fingers crossed. As your essential equipment gets low, you'll, quite naturally, have to recall more often, thus giving you more chances to find such items.

I just kind of tough it out. It's a challenge, and that's the way I like it... at least until it just becomes down right evil and disheartening.
buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2009, 22:46   #3
Donald Jonker
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
As your essential equipment gets low, you'll, quite naturally, have to recall more often, thus giving you more chances to find such items.

I just kind of tough it out. It's a challenge, and that's the way I like it... at least until it just becomes down right evil and disheartening.
Thanks for the tips. I often get disheartened as it is, waiting for goods the easy way. I sometimes wish that simply popping into the dungeon for one turn would cause all stores to restock - maybe this should be the humans' racial ability. They sure need some sort of advantage.

All in all, I'm not sure I like the buying game anymore than I like the selling game.

BTW: I think I read somewhere that buying out a slot of items at a store forces the store to restock. How does this work - they don't seem to do it right away... do you have to go to the dungeon first and come back?
Old January 9, 2009, 22:55   #4
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Jonker View Post
BTW: I think I read somewhere that buying out a slot of items at a store forces the store to restock. How does this work - they don't seem to do it right away... do you have to go to the dungeon first and come back?
Buying out the entire store makes it restock (immediately). Buying out a slot, IIRC, just means that there's more places to be filled next time there's a regular restock.
Old January 10, 2009, 03:22   #5
Larvitz
Adept

Larvitz is on a distinguished road
I have this same problem pretty often... there's just too much stuff I need all the time to not townscum...

So I resign to a life of scum. And more scum. Oh well. ^_^
Larvitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2009, 09:50   #6
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
There are two types of townscumming: for gold and for shop turnover. It sounds like younuse it for the latter, which is minimally affected by disconnected stairs: a reasonable character shouldn't spend too much effort searching for the stairs back up. More to the point: by the time you really need dEvil, you should be able to buy out the store and force restock. In a competiton, where turncount matter, this is the right thing to do. As for townscumming for gold, all characters start with 200gp, and can afford ?WoR. It's not nearly so useful anymore.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2009, 14:20   #7
Donald Jonker
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
More to the point: by the time you really need dEvil, you should be able to buy out the store and force restock. In a competiton, where turncount matter, this is the right thing to do.
I typically need _dEvil at 1000', so I can detect and avoid paralysers on account of the fact that I don't have FA yet. There's no chance in hell that I can buy out the entire store at that point... do you mean just one slot? At what point were you thinking that dEvil would become necessary?
Old January 10, 2009, 18:14   #8
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
If you really want detections, perhaps you should try a half-troll rogue with 3 melee blows. You can restrict yourself to books 1, 4, 5, and 8 if you want to keep the bookcount down. OTOH, there's been a recent theme posted to always m3g after m1b ...
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2009, 18:56   #9
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
I use dEvil when ghasts are native if going without FA. (of course I use it earlier if it's available.) I also make heavy use of light rods as early as possible. I buy them in the BM if I find it before finding one in the dungeon. With FA, I'll go to around 2000' without dEvil; so long as I'm diving fairly fast it's not a bad risk. Slowing down means the odds will catch up after a while. I do carry ?TL/?Tele/*destruct* when available for guaranteed escapes.

But the light rods & illumination really cut down on the need for _dEvil.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2009, 19:41   #10
chem
Adept

chem is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
There are two types of townscumming: for gold and for shop turnover. It sounds like younuse it for the latter, which is minimally affected by disconnected stairs: a reasonable character shouldn't spend too much effort searching for the stairs back up. More to the point: by the time you really need dEvil, you should be able to buy out the store and force restock.
Townscumming the black market for !heal, !speed, ?tele, or other interesting items is something which is quite useful to a character possibly even clvl 50, but perhaps not possible to perform repeatedly by buying out the shop to force restock. Even for a rich character, that will end up being quite expensive.
chem is offline   Reply With Quote