Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 21, 2009, 08:08   #1
PaulBlay
Knight
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 657
PaulBlay is on a distinguished road
Announcing Angband/65 (pre-alpha)

The aim of this project is to produce Angband/64 reborn.

Rather than attempt to update the Angband/64 code directly I have decided to start from the Vanilla Angband code in the SVN repository and change the data (and code where required) to reproduce the Angband/64 gameplay.

Because I'm using GPL clean Angband + My code + (some of) Jurriaan Kalkman's code this is intended to be under the GPL.

I would welcome help, from coders or from normal Angband players, but I know you've all got your own things to do. Anyone interested, please let me know.
__________________
Currently turning (Angband) Japanese.
PaulBlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2009, 12:43   #2
PaulBlay
Knight
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 657
PaulBlay is on a distinguished road
Now have a page up at SourceForge.JP. Currently lots of tickets, very little actual work done.

Assistance welcome from all levels of expertise.
__________________
Currently turning (Angband) Japanese.
PaulBlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2009, 22:03   #3
Pete Mack
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,399
Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
I have only one question: why?

Presumably it's not much more complicated than updating* main-c64.c, utils.c, init1.c, angband.h, and the makefile, but still...

* PS: (as you requested help) when doing a port, these are the files that generally need to be modified.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2009, 23:00   #4
takkaria
Veteran
 
takkaria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,599
Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
I have only one question: why?

Presumably it's not much more complicated than updating* main-c64.c, utils.c, init1.c, angband.h, and the makefile, but still...

* PS: (as you requested help) when doing a port, these are the files that generally need to be modified.
Angband/64 isn't a port to the commodore 64, but a variant in its own right.
__________________
"Physician, heal thyself."
takkaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2009, 01:38   #5
PaulBlay
Knight
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 657
PaulBlay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by takkaria View Post
Angband/64 isn't a port to the commodore 64, but a variant in its own right.
Correct, which is why it has an entry near the top of the Oook Angband Variants list.
__________________
Currently turning (Angband) Japanese.
PaulBlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2009, 20:48   #6
PaulBlay
Knight
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 657
PaulBlay is on a distinguished road
If anybody's interested, here's a brief progress statement.

I'm just getting a grip on how much stuff I'll be including in the alpha release (and how much work it will be ;-).

I currently have 39 open tickets (6 for alpha release) and 7 closed tickets. I'm sure there will be a few more tickets opened before the alpha release is out.

See SourceForge site for specifics.
__________________
Currently turning (Angband) Japanese.
PaulBlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2009, 21:46   #7
Arendil
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 77
Arendil is on a distinguished road
Hmm. Looking at this thread I feel like dinosaur. I actually played Angband/64 some years ago, but it seems I'm dying breed. Trying hard to remember what features it has, I think there were huge levels - many times larger than in Vanilla, levels within levels, few interesting races, extra bonuses while creating characters at the expense of slower leveling...and here my memory fails.

Anyway, huge levels - bad idea. Endless search for a stairs down gets boring quick. Towers and whatnot within levels - cool, but stairs leading to them were impossible to tell apart from stairs leading to another level, so it needs better implementation. Extra races and bonuses were great.

So, that would be my - rather insignificant - two cents.
Ah, and yes, Angband/64 had one of the best manuals in a roguelike world.

Cheers.
Arendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2009, 00:02   #8
PaulBlay
Knight
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 657
PaulBlay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arendil View Post
Hmm. Looking at this thread I feel like dinosaur. I actually played Angband/64 some years ago, but it seems I'm dying breed. Trying hard to remember what features it has, I think there were huge levels - many times larger than in Vanilla, levels within levels, few interesting races, extra bonuses while creating characters at the expense of slower leveling...and here my memory fails.

Anyway, huge levels - bad idea. Endless search for a stairs down gets boring quick. Towers and whatnot within levels - cool, but stairs leading to them were impossible to tell apart from stairs leading to another level, so it needs better implementation. Extra races and bonuses were great.

So, that would be my - rather insignificant - two cents.
Ah, and yes, Angband/64 had one of the best manuals in a roguelike world.
Cheers for the feedback.

'Huge levels' and areas within areas will be one of the very last things to get implemented. I might put in a birth option to turn them off (assuming I can get them working in the first place ).

In general, though, I plan to recreate Angband/64 rather than trying to change it. If anybody wants to change it they'll be welcome to take over from me at that point.
__________________
Currently turning (Angband) Japanese.
PaulBlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2009, 22:05   #9
Magnate
Angband Devteam member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 4,992
Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by takkaria View Post
Angband/64 isn't a port to the commodore 64, but a variant in its own right.
But what a fabulous idea!
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2009, 16:08   #10
PaulBlay
Knight
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 657
PaulBlay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
But what a fabulous idea!
Angband/64 does support the Amiga. Angband/65 might support Amiga (emulators), but only if I get as far as the beta version without incident.

Current progress(?) is 41 open tickets, 9 closed.

Anybody is welcome to comment on tickets or take on any I haven't assigned to me and submit patches. Some of them should be a walkover for anybody who's familiar with Angband code.
__________________
Currently turning (Angband) Japanese.
PaulBlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Z+Angband 0.2.0 (alpha) released! Mangojuice Variants 25 July 23, 2008 20:15
Zaiband 3.0.9 alpha released zaimoni Variants 0 July 3, 2008 05:52
Announce: DaJAngband v1.0.93 (pre 1.1.0) will_asher Variants 0 May 6, 2008 21:49
Announce: DaJAngband v1.0.90 (pre 1.1.0) will_asher Variants 11 April 29, 2008 16:43
[Z] 2.7.5 Pre I Irashtar Variants 4 October 21, 2007 07:54


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 17:02.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.