Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 26, 2007, 18:21   #1
Elsairon
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 97
Elsairon is on a distinguished road
Terrain changes visible outside characters sight -- Feature or Bug??

Something I noticed today which IMO would be nice to clean up.

I had explored part of a map. An Umber hulk started walking towards me. I could observe its progress toward me as walls became floors in an areas that were not within my characters direct sight.

I would like to see terrain changes when the character sees them rather then when they happen outside los.

I know doors opening/breaking have the same issue, but I hadn't given it much thought until now.

Thoughts?
Elsairon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2007, 19:31   #2
andrewdoull
Unangband maintainer
 
andrewdoull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Age: 39
Posts: 871
andrewdoull is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsairon View Post
Something I noticed today which IMO would be nice to clean up.

I had explored part of a map. An Umber hulk started walking towards me. I could observe its progress toward me as walls became floors in an areas that were not within my characters direct sight.

I would like to see terrain changes when the character sees them rather then when they happen outside los.

I know doors opening/breaking have the same issue, but I hadn't given it much thought until now.

Thoughts?
Unfortunately, this requires a large rearchitecture of the way terrain works.

Its been done in Zangband, but its not a straightforward piece of code.
Unfo
__________________
The Roflwtfzomgbbq Quylthulg summons L33t Paladins -more-
In UnAngband, the level dives you.
ASCII Dreams: http://roguelikedeveloper.blogspot.com
Unangband: http://unangband.blogspot.com
andrewdoull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2007, 20:31   #3
Elsairon
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 97
Elsairon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoull View Post
Unfortunately, this requires a large rearchitecture of the way terrain works.

Its been done in Zangband, but its not a straightforward piece of code.
Unfo
This would be something to look at improving in the future then. Perhaps someone will come up with a more elegant solution.
Elsairon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2007, 13:04   #4
takkaria
Veteran
 
takkaria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,590
Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsairon View Post
This would be something to look at improving in the future then. Perhaps someone will come up with a more elegant solution.
Oh, the Zangband method is elegant enough, just hard to understand (so I believe). This is a pet peeve of mine, too, though, so I imagine it'll be sorted in V at some point while I'm the maintainer.
takkaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 13:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.