Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old July 31, 2009, 15:43   #1
ehertlein
Scout

ehertlein is on a distinguished road
Obere my High-Elf Mage...

So I just came across this and I am not sure how to go about clearing it.

Code:

High-Elf                                                                        
Evoker                                                                       *  
Mage                                                                            
LEVEL     26                                                                    
Nxt     3366                                                                    
AU     12102                                                                    
\}=="~(()]]]                                               ##############       
STR:      18            +                                  #............#       
INT:   18/60        +     +        +                       #............#       
WIS:      11                          Z                    #............#       
DEX:   18/30      ^^^^^                     ################.........?..####### 
CON:      12 S W  OOO^^  T p = ^         .....@...........................'.... 
CHR:      17 P p   O   ppp p  ! =           ##.#############............####### 
             +  !  O O  p  ' =    o     Z    ..#           #............#       
Cur AC    88   K! O O Z    Z "^ h  uoo  ZZ                 %#%##%##%##%%#       
HP  140/ 140      O O Z    Z  )  T                                *             
SP   59/  59  ^  O OOZ Z  Z  l  T  T  S  Z                                      
             ^^+OO O Z   Z^Z+ b+TF+Xp Jq      '                                 
              ^    ^Z^ Z  Z  a  T  k  O     ZZ                                  
                  Z Z         -  T       I    '              o                  
               !v Z   Z uE   ^^ T  ZZZ         ZZ Z          o  o               
Slow (-2)    +  S  Z Z  q  + ^    Z                            ooo        ~     
1300' (L26)  Full Study (9) DTrap                                               
Any suggestions? Here's a link to my character.

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=9157
ehertlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2009, 16:06   #2
Zikke
Veteran

Zikke is on a distinguished road
Those vaults are kinda tricky because, besides a few small 1x1 chambers that are enclosed in granite, the rest of the vault is open in a diagonal pattern, which means if things are awake they can all get to you together.

Based on your gear, you may have trouble actually killing the monsters in there. As a mage, you can pull some out, kill what you can and teleport away and repeat. Also, I don't remember what level Teleport Other becomes available in mage book 4 but if you have that, it's a good way to clear vaults.

Because there are hounds, etc, in that vault, I would avoid fighting inside in case they breathe and break valuable potions, scrolls, etc.
Zikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2009, 16:37   #3
ehertlein
Scout

Wow stuff got out of hand very quickly. I ended up turning tail and running as I just want to get a winner for once. Beorn and Sangahyado<sp?> really just were too much. Teleport Other is at a 40% fail rate so I just couldn't get stuff away fast enough.
Old July 31, 2009, 17:23   #4
Zikke
Veteran

If you really want a winner, you should run a lot more often, especially as a mage. It'll only get thicker at lower levels. There will plenty of vaults to crack by then.
Old July 31, 2009, 17:24   #5
LCC
Adept

Donated: $20
LCC is on a distinguished road
You did the wise thing IMHO. The stuff in vaults is generally junk until dlvl 60+. I have opened and cleared 8 vaults, including 3 greater vaults. None of them was worth the hassle of dealing with OOD monsters and uniques.
Old August 1, 2009, 17:28   #6
Zikke
Veteran

The number 1 thing that you should be looking for in lower level vaults is the Escapes book, which will make it much easier to survive throughout the game.
Old August 1, 2009, 20:04   #7
ehertlein
Scout

I will be sure to keep my eyes out. In the meantime I am down at level 30 skulking around. I still feel like I don't deal very much damage. Not sure how to go about improving that.

Updated the dump at http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=9157
Old August 3, 2009, 17:57   #8
ehertlein
Scout

Is a Rod of Probing worth keeping? I found one on my last dive and I am not totally sure if its worth the slot.

Also is there a place I can find the fail rates for activating a rod? I also found a Rod of Teleport Other and I'd like to know if its more reliable then the spell.
Old August 4, 2009, 04:39   #9
Pete Mack
Veteran

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehertlein View Post
Is a Rod of Probing worth keeping? I found one on my last dive and I am not totally sure if its worth the slot.
No.

Quote:
Also is there a place I can find the fail rates for activating a rod? I also found a Rod of Teleport Other and I'd like to know if its more reliable then the spell.
Not really. Assume that the failure rate on the rod is around 3%. A mage may still want to carry the rod (or some wands) for
* Blindness.
* Amnesia
* Preserving mana
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2009, 14:26   #10
ehertlein
Scout

I didn't think so on the Rod of Probing, I'll sell that off.

As far as the Rod of Teleport Other... 3% is much lower then the 30 something fail rate that the spell currently has for me. I'll be keeping that!