Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old August 24, 2007, 11:15   #1
AR_chie
Apprentice

AR_chie is on a distinguished road
[U] beginner

ok, I want to try Uangband... choosing a hero: wood-elf ranger... and... damn.. I can't see any stairs to explore dungeon (town either hasn't door to wilderness). What's wrong make I?
AR_chie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2007, 13:46   #2
Matthias
Adept

Matthias is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Matthias
Press "<" as in stair up to see a list of locations to travel too.
Matthias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2007, 15:01   #3
AR_chie
Apprentice

AR_chie is on a distinguished road
a, I see... my stomach was 'epty' and I couldn't see any way, but when I feed yourself the list appears
AR_chie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2007, 22:10   #4
Bandobras
Knight

Bandobras is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR_chie View Post
wood-elf ranger?
A good choice. The best missiles skill ever. What did you specialize in? Bows and crossbows are great, because you can coat their missiles with mushrooms or potions (in particular flasks of oil, for the start).
Bandobras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2007, 18:20   #5
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

Donated: $10
will_asher is on a distinguished road
Since it's my first game of Un in a long time, I thought it be appropriate to add my question to this thread. I went down in the dungeon in Bree and I can't hit any monsters. I miss about 98% of the time. I tried again spending more points on agility for to hit, but the same thing happened. Why am I not hitting anything?
will_asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2007, 19:14   #6
Bandobras
Knight

Race, class, weapon? You seem to be just a pitiful melee fighter. Don't worry, you may still find your way.

You should be spending point on DEX and INT, in that order, if you want increased to hit chance. But if you are not a fighter of a fighting race, this will work only after some more levels --- you'll gain both level bonuses and DEX bonuses (if you choose to increase DEX). For now try to inflict damage in a manner that gives good to hit chance for your race/class (every combo has some way, we hope), or even in a way independent of hit chance (there are some). Remember that throwing and missiles launchers are separate skills.
Old August 25, 2007, 20:19   #7
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

Donated: $10
will_asher is on a distinguished road
I was a shadow fairy paladin with a long sword, and I didn't bother spending any points in intelligence because I forgot that it was important for non-magetype spellcasters in UnAngband.

OK, I've looked at my character screen with says my fighting is awful (I don't understand why I have 15 str and 15 dex it shouldn't be thAt bad), shooting is very bad, and throwing is poor. So throwing sounds like the least bad of those, but there's no throwing weapons in the weapon store. Seems like even if my fighting is awful I should be able to hit a white snake once in awhile.

BTW, is there a way to turn off mouse support? I click back and forth between the game and my internet browser.

Last edited by will_asher; August 25, 2007 at 20:30.
will_asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2007, 20:44   #8
Bandobras
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by will_asher View Post
OK, I've looked at my character screen with says my fighting is awful (I don't understand why I have 15 str and 15 dex it shouldn't be thAt bad)
Shadow fairies are almost immaterial, so they are _really_ bad at anything involving physical strenght. But they, as the only race, regenerate mana faster!

Quote:
shooting is very bad, and throwing is poor.
Yeah, you've managed to choose the only race that is poor at all fighting. Moreover, Paladin is initially poor at magic. However, you'll get nice bonuses to fighting every level and quite soon also Bless, etc. Anyway, probably the weakest starting combo in the whole game.

Quote:
So throwing sounds like the least bad of those, but there's no throwing weapons in the weapon store.
But there is a lot in other stores. Use your imagination. Some items even don't have to hit to cause damage. There are also traps, magic devices, etc., etc.

Quote:
BTW, is there a way to turn off mouse support?
No clue.
Old August 26, 2007, 00:14   #9
Daven_26d1
Adept

Daven_26d1 is on a distinguished road
Strangely I find the idea of a poor, frustrated, shadow fairy paladin one that I'd like to play. I haven't grabbed Un yet, but I'm guessing if you try to grab a bit of gold somehow - (maybe sell your sword and buy a smaller blade, seeing as how you can't hit anything anyway) - I imagine that the cheapest attack wand and/or some ?bless or !hero (or whatever Un has) should give you the levels and treasure you need to get started.

I have a sort of related question - how many races/classes are in Un? It sounds a bit Z to me for character creation.
Daven_26d1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2007, 02:11   #10
Big Al
Swordsman

Donated: $18.32
Big Al is on a distinguished road
As far as I can recall, twenty-six races, eleven classes, thirty-two or so 'styles' (kind of sub-classes).
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote