Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old September 12, 2009, 00:23   #1
half
Knight

half is on a distinguished road
Compiling under Snow Leopard

I've just tried to compile NPP under the new version of Mac OS X (Snow Leopard), but it has multiple errors in 'main-crb.c'. Is main-crb.c finally broken? Have other people run into similar problems? Does this affect V as well? Is there some easy way out?
half is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2009, 01:47   #2
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
I can't speak to NPP, but I'd be interested if you cared to post the error(s) you're getting when trying to compile V.
Old September 12, 2009, 01:50   #3
zaimoni
Knight

zaimoni is on a distinguished road
While I don't have a Mac to check, I am reading about Snow Leopard's predatory consumption of software. The two big things making the mailing lists I am on are:
* API deletion: there were a number of archaic OS functions whose last version is OS X 10.5 . The software using these functions makes a tasty snack for the Snow Leopard. (Side benefit: outdated malware also helplessly dies.)
* Default binaries are now 64-bit rather than 32-bit: the Snow Leopard consumes vast quantities of developer time in inexplicable link-time errors.

I'm unclear whether V has been updated enough to avoid being eaten by the Snow Leopard. I do know that there was a burst of updating the mac backend for V, so it's possible.
zaimoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2009, 08:35   #4
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by half View Post
I've just tried to compile NPP under the new version of Mac OS X (Snow Leopard), but it has multiple errors in 'main-crb.c'. Is main-crb.c finally broken? Have other people run into similar problems? Does this affect V as well? Is there some easy way out?
1. Fix Makefile.osx:
Code:
-arch ppc -arch i386 -mmacosx-version-min=10.0
should be
Code:
-arch x86 -mmacosx-version-min=10.5
Also try -arch x86_32 as the default target has apparently changed to 64 bit, and 64-bit OSX doesn't have Carbon support, much less QuickDraw support.

2. Try compiling V or FA. There have been a few modernizations to Makefile.osx that aren't in NPP. Porting Makefile.osx from UnAngband or V shouldn't be a big deal.

3. If it doesn't work, I will have to bite the bullet and learn Cocoa. At which point, it will be time to think about the iPhone port...
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2009, 11:24   #5
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
1. Fix Makefile.osx:
Code:
-arch ppc -arch i386 -mmacosx-version-min=10.0
should be
Code:
-arch x86 -mmacosx-version-min=10.5
Also try -arch x86_32 as the default target has apparently changed to 64 bit, and 64-bit OSX doesn't have Carbon support, much less QuickDraw support.

2. Try compiling V or FA. There have been a few modernizations to Makefile.osx that aren't in NPP. Porting Makefile.osx from UnAngband or V shouldn't be a big deal.

3. If it doesn't work, I will have to bite the bullet and learn Cocoa. At which point, it will be time to think about the iPhone port...
It may be worth starting to nick stuff from http://ridiculousfish.com/angband/ to phase out the Carbon stuff with Cococa.
Old September 12, 2009, 11:39   #6
half
Knight

half is on a distinguished road
Thanks Pete, your advice has worked perfectly. I'm actually compiling from an old branch of NPP as it is my own variant, and the compiler flags were:

-Wall -W -O0 -fpascal-strings -DMACH_O_CARBON

which I changed to:

-Wall -W -O0 -fpascal-strings -DMACH_O_CARBON -arch i386

and then it worked fine. It also worked with:

-Wall -W -O0 -fpascal-strings -DMACH_O_CARBON -arch ppc -arch i386

It just looked like I must have been using a pretty old mac makefile in the first place, as this last version seems to be what you were saying that I was starting with.

So, good news for Snow Leopard Angband, bad news for iPhone Angband...

Thanks everyone,
half.
half is offline   Reply With Quote