Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 16, 2009, 15:54   #1
dhegler
Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 239
dhegler is on a distinguished road
Random questions - randarts and artifacts

I think there should be a way to revert to randarts mid-game (in case like me you forget to turn it on at birth). Is there any way to really take advantage of that potential feature? Also, I thought someone told me to switch birth options the next time I created a character and it would "stick" to randarts = yes. Well, it didn't for me in 3.1.1 and now I am stuck without randarts ofter playing up to level 26 dlvl 20 and finding the Phial, realizing what had happened.

Also, is anyone else upset that uniques don't drop more artifacts like they used to in early(ier) version of Angband? Perhaps I am crazy, but I just remember getting a lot better stuff from uniques...

I saw someone mentioned that we should "flavor" item drops to the monster who dropped them. That would be a great idea IMHO, if it is at all possible. Mages (h's) would drop spellbooks, potions, scrolls, etc with a small chance of anything but their base items, etc. What the heck is that swordsman doing with that spellbook anyway?
dhegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2009, 18:38   #2
PowerDiver
Prophet
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,588
PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhegler View Post
I thought someone told me to switch birth options the next time I created a character and it would "stick" to randarts = yes. Well, it didn't for me in 3.1.1
I remember telling someone here to change the option ASAP. That means while playing the current game in prep for the next. I hope it wasn't me who steered you wrong.

You have to change the option before the birth for it to take effect at birth. Unfortunately, I think the startup has changed since 3.0 so that you can no longer access birth options through '=' until after birth. I know I haven't figured that out the couple of times I tried it. I have to start, change, suicide, restart.

DL20 is not that deep. Quit and restart. Well, double-check the birth options menu first of course! It's a pain, but you'll be glad you did.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2009, 19:41   #3
bron
Swordsman
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Saratoga, California (in the midst of Silicon Valley)
Posts: 344
bron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhegler View Post
I saw someone mentioned that we should "flavor" item drops to the monster who dropped them. That would be a great idea IMHO, if it is at all possible. Mages (h's) would drop spellbooks, potions, scrolls, etc with a small chance of anything but their base items, etc. What the heck is that swordsman doing with that spellbook anyway?
There was a discussion about this sort of thing almost exactly 1 year ago (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=1180). I think it would add a nice "flavor" without really changing the game play significantly. Don't think that the idea ever went anywhere (the other thread eventually wandered off into a discussion of parsing the *.txt files).
bron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2009, 19:56   #4
konijn_
Hellband maintainer
 
konijn_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York, the Big Apple
Age: 36
Posts: 345
Donated: $120
konijn_ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhegler View Post
I think there should be a way to revert to randarts mid-game (in case like me you forget to turn it on at birth). Is there any way to really take advantage of that potential feature? Also, I thought someone told me to switch birth options the next time I created a character and it would "stick" to randarts = yes. Well, it didn't for me in 3.1.1 and now I am stuck without randarts ofter playing up to level 26 dlvl 20 and finding the Phial, realizing what had happened.

Also, is anyone else upset that uniques don't drop more artifacts like they used to in early(ier) version of Angband? Perhaps I am crazy, but I just remember getting a lot better stuff from uniques...

I saw someone mentioned that we should "flavor" item drops to the monster who dropped them. That would be a great idea IMHO, if it is at all possible. Mages (h's) would drop spellbooks, potions, scrolls, etc with a small chance of anything but their base items, etc. What the heck is that swordsman doing with that spellbook anyway?
Personally, I feel the game should offer artefacts + randarts like any decent variant.

T.
__________________
* Are you ready for something else ? Hellband 0.8.7 is out! *
konijn_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2009, 20:23   #5
fizzix
Prophet
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, US
Posts: 2,524
fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by konijn_ View Post
Personally, I feel the game should offer artefacts + randarts like any decent variant.

T.
I don't think this is necessary. Although if you can alter egos to have more than one random effect and more than one random pval, you'll pretty much get that.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2009, 20:49   #6
Magnate
Angband Devteam member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 4,980
Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
I remember telling someone here to change the option ASAP. That means while playing the current game in prep for the next. I hope it wasn't me who steered you wrong.

You have to change the option before the birth for it to take effect at birth. Unfortunately, I think the startup has changed since 3.0 so that you can no longer access birth options through '=' until after birth. I know I haven't figured that out the couple of times I tried it. I have to start, change, suicide, restart.
No. You can press = at any time during character creation to get to birth options.

However, since the "quickstart" feature came in, you don't do character creation at all. So if you want to change birth options, you have to press N to reject the offered quickstart character, and go through the normal character creation process (which now offers pretty well optimised stats IMO, so it's not hard).
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2009, 20:52   #7
Magnate
Angband Devteam member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 4,980
Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by bron View Post
There was a discussion about this sort of thing almost exactly 1 year ago (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=1180). I think it would add a nice "flavor" without really changing the game play significantly. Don't think that the idea ever went anywhere (the other thread eventually wandered off into a discussion of parsing the *.txt files).
It didn't go anywhere because it's a colossal amount of work for relatively little gain. There are over two hundred other things that I would rather spend my time improving, and though I can't speak for other devs, it won't happen until someone decides to code it.

(Don't get me wrong, I'm not against it - I just think there are many higher priorities.)
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2009, 20:58   #8
Magnate
Angband Devteam member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 4,980
Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
I don't think this is necessary. Although if you can alter egos to have more than one random effect and more than one random pval, you'll pretty much get that.
I don't see the point of non-random artifacts at all - with the exception of a tiny handful of themed mega-items. That said, fizzix is absolutely right - the time to make this change is once we have sorted multiple pvals. No idea what Takkaria will think, but if it were me I'd introduce an extra tier of items between ego and artifact, with more powers. Then we could reduce the artifact set quite a lot, and still have plenty of variety of kit.

@dhegler: artifacts are fixed at birth, so no you cannot revert to or from randarts during a game.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2009, 21:05   #9
PowerDiver
Prophet
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,588
PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
No. You can press = at any time during character creation to get to birth options.

However, since the "quickstart" feature came in, you don't do character creation at all.
Silly me, I think of quickstart as a means of character creation. I'm sure you are right that my failure to change birth options was after a quickstart.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2009, 23:45   #10
Nick
FAangband maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 48
Posts: 4,219
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
I don't see the point of non-random artifacts at all - with the exception of a tiny handful of themed mega-items.
Well, the point is that the game is at least notionally Tolkien-themed. The classes aren't, the objects aren't, only a few ego-items are, the races are filtered through D&D, the monsters largely aren't; artifacts are just about the main thing that stops the game from degenerating into bland generic hack and slash.
__________________
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Randarts now have random activations in trunk Magnate Vanilla 60 December 30, 2009 12:25
Randarts dhegler Vanilla 30 November 5, 2009 22:51
Randarts question fizzix Vanilla 4 October 11, 2009 18:12
random questions darkdrone Vanilla 3 August 1, 2008 16:00
[FA] Cursed randarts Psi Variants 3 May 25, 2007 15:36


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:02.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.