Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old December 23, 2009, 19:51   #1
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
monsters with friends

My wife had a superb feeling playing V3.1.2, and we were trying to figure out why. I checked the native DL on a hellhound using monster memory, and it was a very very big number. It turns out that DL was for the hellhound with friends entry, and the hellhound with no friends has less than half the DL.

One question is which DL should be in the monster memory.

An unimportant question, just for my curiousity, is which DL of the hellhound is used for calculating level feelings currently. And is that the correct choice?

Is this approach of two entries in monster.txt bad enough to be worth the trouble of reimplementing?
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2009, 20:27   #2
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
My wife had a superb feeling playing V3.1.2, and we were trying to figure out why. I checked the native DL on a hellhound using monster memory, and it was a very very big number. It turns out that DL was for the hellhound with friends entry, and the hellhound with no friends has less than half the DL.

One question is which DL should be in the monster memory.

An unimportant question, just for my curiousity, is which DL of the hellhound is used for calculating level feelings currently. And is that the correct choice?

Is this approach of two entries in monster.txt bad enough to be worth the trouble of reimplementing?
There is already a ticket for cleaning up monster.txt, with a particular emphasis on taking out all those duplicate entries (and inserting a simple check in the code to make the native level deeper with friends). So then the recall will tell you the native depth without friends, but will also tell you that the monster may have friends. I'm guessing there will be an easy-to-remember depth adjustment for with-friends.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2009, 22:52   #3
andrewdoull
Unangband maintainer

andrewdoull is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
There is already a ticket for cleaning up monster.txt, with a particular emphasis on taking out all those duplicate entries (and inserting a simple check in the code to make the native level deeper with friends). So then the recall will tell you the native depth without friends, but will also tell you that the monster may have friends. I'm guessing there will be an easy-to-remember depth adjustment for with-friends.
I should really update the ticket with the suggestion, but I just gave the friends monster a different name and appearance. You'll find that they already have different attributes in most cases, and it was faster reconcilling the few entries required this way.

Andrew
Unangband: http://unangband.blogspot.com
andrewdoull is offline   Reply With Quote