Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old December 26, 2009, 21:18   #1
TJS
Swordsman

TJS is on a distinguished road
Died to starvation!

Playing as an ironman half-troll paladin and wasn't doing too badly for my ironman attempts, but ended up getting both my pb2 books burned by a giant salamander (in one breath which I didn't think was possible) and never found another one.
Had 8 scrolls of satisfy hunger and a ring of slow metabolism on, but they got used up gradually and it started to feel a bit inevitable as my food supply was never replaced.

Tried farming black oozes for ages (about half an hour my time), but no food, satisfy hunger or pb2 dropped. Don't think I saw a mushroom the whole game.

In the end had to quaff all my potions, which didn't seem to do much good at all. Then had to cast CCW to keep my health up whilst teleporting about looking for food. No luck alas and slowly starved to death.

Any tips to avoid this happening in future?

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=9735
TJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2009, 22:44   #2
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Burn chance is done per-item, not per-stack. So as long as you're vulnerable to the element in question, any attack can theoretically destroy every vulnerable item in your inventory.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2009, 23:23   #3
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
I don't know. I'd have thought that 8 satisfy hunger's w/slow digestion would last just about forever, and I'm always finding mushrooms, even if they are not beneficial you can still eat them. You didn't have food and (a lot of) mushrooms squelched, did you? or maybe had 'squelch worthless' turned on?
Old December 27, 2009, 01:45   #4
tummychow
Apprentice

tummychow is on a distinguished road
What about WoR?
tummychow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2009, 02:03   #5
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tummychow View Post
What about WoR?
It's an Ironman game.
Old December 27, 2009, 02:36   #6
tummychow
Apprentice

tummychow is on a distinguished road
Oh right....
tummychow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2009, 07:38   #7
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
How about not playing a half-troll?
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2009, 11:09   #8
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
I don't know. I'd have thought that 8 satisfy hunger's w/slow digestion would last just about forever, and I'm always finding mushrooms, even if they are not beneficial you can still eat them. You didn't have food and (a lot of) mushrooms squelched, did you? or maybe had 'squelch worthless' turned on?
That is amazing. Satisfy hunger sets you to 15,000 food, which is 7,500 player-turns of life for a half-troll, 15,000 with slow digestion. So you had 120,000 *player* turns of food, which is more than some whole games. Let's call it 100,000 if we cut out the faint/starving stages. To me it's incredible that you found no food at all during that time.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2009, 11:23   #9
TJS
Swordsman

Quote:
Burn chance is done per-item, not per-stack. So as long as you're vulnerable to the element in question, any attack can theoretically destroy every vulnerable item in your inventory.
Seems a bit harsh to me, might be better to cap maximum damage at half a stack maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
A couple of scrolls were burned/melted, but I used up the rest.
Trouble is that as far as I know you use up more food with slow digestion + regen than you do with neither. Might try a dwarf next time instead.
Old December 27, 2009, 11:31   #10
TJS
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
That is amazing. Satisfy hunger sets you to 15,000 food, which is 7,500 player-turns of life for a half-troll, 15,000 with slow digestion. So you had 120,000 *player* turns of food, which is more than some whole games. Let's call it 100,000 if we cut out the faint/starving stages. To me it's incredible that you found no food at all during that time.
Yeah pretty bad luck I guess. I must have got 200 drops from black oozes and the only things that gave me any extra food at all were two potions of boldness. Maybe the number of consumable drops could be increased slightly again?