Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old January 13, 2010, 09:31   #1
Psi
Knight

Psi is on a distinguished road
Max depth of artifacts r1886

In my latest game I was surprised not to see a single 'thanc or Thranduil. On checking artifact.txt I see they all have max depths.

It doesn't seem right that any artifact can be generated on DL1 (admittedly given a ridiculous roll) but they can't all be generated on DL98. Admittedly I wouldn't be using a 'thanc by that stage, but I do not like the thought that I would have to go shallower to find certain items. Particularly an item like Thranduil which is a key find if you don't have ESP yet.

A player shouldn't be penalised by what he can find just because he is deep in the dungeon IMHO.
Psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2010, 09:42   #2
Pete Mack
Veteran

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
@Psi --
I agree; thranduil is potentially as valuable at dl 99 as it is at dl 30.
As for the thancs, I only agree partially: I agree that given a dagger at any depth, it should have a chance of being a Thanc. I don't agree that daggers should appear below (say) dl 80. The only one that is possibly useful is Rilia, and it is quite rare.

A possible compromise: the minimum level of the item in a drop should be based on monster level, not dungeon level, so novice mages still have a good chance of dropping crap.

In fact, I'm not likely to use that new artifact.txt--a lot of them look too strong.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2010, 10:31   #3
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
@Psi --
I agree; thranduil is potentially as valuable at dl 99 as it is at dl 30.
As for the thancs, I only agree partially: I agree that given a dagger at any depth, it should have a chance of being a Thanc. I don't agree that daggers should appear below (say) dl 80. The only one that is possibly useful is Rilia, and it is quite rare.

A possible compromise: the minimum level of the item in a drop should be based on monster level, not dungeon level, so novice mages still have a good chance of dropping crap.
In the absence of a re-working of item drops, max depths for artifacts are a long-planned attempt to address TMJ. There are a lot of artifacts which are simply not useful later on in the game, despite being really quite exciting in the earlier part of the game. The obvious solution to this is max depths. The fact that daggers of slay orc can still drop at dl99 when 'thancs can't is unfortunate, but is not a reason not to implement this solution. One day the same thing will be implemented for ego types. (There's no reason why daggers could not be given a max depth of 80 already - the facility exists.)

I don't agree with Psi that every artifact should be able to drop at dl99: there's been consensus for a long time that this should not be the case.

Now, Thranduil is a bit of an anomaly: it's an otherwise very weak artifact, with telepathy. While telepathy is binary, as it is now, it's massively overpowered and makes any item valuable throughout the game. If telepathy is re-worked to be granular (ticket #1015), this problem will go away. In the meantime, if the consensus is to keep Thranduil available until dl100, I could live with that tweak.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2010, 11:13   #4
Psi
Knight

Psi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Now, Thranduil is a bit of an anomaly: it's an otherwise very weak artifact, with telepathy. While telepathy is binary, as it is now, it's massively overpowered and makes any item valuable throughout the game. If telepathy is re-worked to be granular (ticket #1015), this problem will go away. In the meantime, if the consensus is to keep Thranduil available until dl100, I could live with that tweak.
I'd certainly want to see that as a minimum. I haven't been through the list to see if there are any other similar issues. Thanks for looking at this.
Psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2010, 16:49   #5
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I've never really understood how you can consider artifacts to be junk. I've always liked finding them, even if I don't even bother to pick them up. They only show up once, so they won't keep bothering you.

I've no problem with banning Daggers of Slay Orc at level 99, but artifacts are another thing entirely.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2010, 20:49   #6
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Add me to the list who do not want maximum depths on artifacts. TMJ was never the problem. Lack of efficient squelching has always been the problem.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote