Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old February 13, 2010, 02:39   #1
robbio
Rookie

robbio is on a distinguished road
Best variant to play??

Hi I've just rediscovered angband after about 12 years in the wilderness, just wondering which variant is the best? or is that an unanswerable question? I've been playing Zangband because of the nostalgia attached to it. Is it a good variant or are there better? Also I'm playing as a beastman nature monk, is this a good idea? or are my race and class choices going to hinder me later in the game? cheers
robbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2010, 03:31   #2
Djabanete
Knight

Djabanete is on a distinguished road
Everyone's got their own favorite variant. The best thing is probably to give them all a go and then see which you like best. ToME/Fury, Heng/Entro, Steam, NPP, FA, and Un all have devoted fans and are worth a look (at least FA and Un are being actively developed, maybe others). Hellband is a newer variant with a lot of unique features that's undergoing active development. PosBand is extremely cool (monster races!) but no longer in development.

As for your current character --- Nature Monk is very strong throughout the game.

Good luck and have fun!
Djabanete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2010, 04:05   #3
Pete Mack
Veteran

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Like Malak says, those are the primary groupings, though I would note that V is a pretty popular variant, that FA is in a group with O (if you don't like wilderness), and that NPP is again under active development.

Finally, if you need to knock off the rust before going in deep, there's Quickband/Ironband. A fast Quickband win makes for a nice lunch break.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2010, 04:09   #4
Nick
FAangband maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
If you like Zangband, too, there's also Z+Angband.
Old February 13, 2010, 13:14   #5
robbio
Rookie

Nature Monk

Cheers for the response I'm gonna stick with Zangband while this character is still living because he's made it to level 16, what's a good level to be fighting on if i'm playing cautiously? I was wondering if there might be a problem later in the game getting all the resistance needed without being able to wear much armour or wield a weapon. Or are their artefact weapons that will be better than my martial arts? And artefact armour that will not disrupt my balance? As a monk should i be meleeing or doing this phase door tactic i've heard about? How can i take a screenshot to post a character dump?
Old February 13, 2010, 14:27   #6
robbio
Rookie

dumps

or do you only get dumps when you die? oh and what potion restores exp, f***ing grape jellies keep sapping mine right before a level up.
Old February 13, 2010, 17:13   #7
fph
Swordsman

fph is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbio View Post
or do you only get dumps when you die? oh and what potion restores exp, f***ing grape jellies keep sapping mine right before a level up.
1) IIRC, 'C' and then 'h' should get you a chardump. There should be a reminder at the bottom of the 'C'harater info screen.
2) you're looking for potion of restore life levels
3) you'll run into far more trouble than grape jellies if you keep meleeing every monster. Kill them with a ranged weapon, or just ignore them -- there are plenty of other sources of XP.
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2010, 01:40   #8
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
To make dumps, you want 'C' then 'f'. 'h' gets you additional pages of the character screen, to look at things like resistances, stat adjustments, and so on.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2010, 08:47   #9
Rizwan
Swordsman

Rizwan is on a distinguished road
Wasn't there a poll in the forums for which variant was the most popular? If not can we have one?
Rizwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2010, 08:22   #10
rdanhenry
Scout

rdanhenry is on a distinguished road
Gumband is obviously the best variant. I can give a more objective endorsement of Steamband. However, unless you can specify what *you* are looking for in a variant, nobody can give advice that will really be useful.
rdanhenry is offline   Reply With Quote