Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

View Poll Results: Which tile set do you use?
32x32 6 12.77%
16x16 0 0%
8x8 3 6.38%
I don't use tiles at all - ASCII rules! 38 80.85%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 1, 2010, 20:03   #1
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Which tiles do you use?

I don't use graphics tiles at all, but just wanted a quick poll of those who do. Buzzkill has kindly made a couple of new 32x32 tiles (for bucklers and mining gloves), and I'd like to assess the demand for updates to the 16x16 and 8x8 tilesets. (If there's nobody to make new 8x8 or 16x16 tiles, we can still introduce the new items, simply by re-using existing tiles.)

P.S. Only choose the fourth option if you NEVER use tiles. Even if you only use them very occasionally, it would still be good to know which ones you use. If you use more than one type, choose the type you use most often.

Last edited by Magnate; March 1, 2010 at 20:08.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2010, 20:13   #2
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

Donated: $10
will_asher is on a distinguished road
I sometimes play with tiles and sometimes without, depending on what mood I'm in and what computer monitor I'm using. Whenever I play with tiles, I use the normal sized ones (8x8). I tried the 32x32 tiles once, but I can't see enough of the map at once for detection to do any good. It seems to me you'd need something like a 30 inch monitor.

Play DaJAngband:
http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home
will_asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2010, 20:21   #3
SilverD
Scout

SilverD is on a distinguished road
Actually, good topic. I was thinking maybe now that we have more colors, maybe it would be possible to look into giving some tval to text color variety and maybe variety to some ascii equipment symbols?
Old March 1, 2010, 20:23   #4
ekolis
Knight

ekolis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ekolis Send a message via MSN to ekolis Send a message via Yahoo to ekolis Send a message via Skype™ to ekolis
Heh, looks like NOBODY here uses tiles so far! :P
Actually, Angband is pretty much the only roguelike that has a tiles option that I prefer in ASCII... maybe none of the tilesets are good enough to distinguish between different monsters all that well, or maybe with Angband I really need the "dungeon overview" that I can't get with the 32x32 tiles (I simply can't stand the smaller sets)... in Crawl, for instance, the tiles are readily distinguishable, very pleasant to look at (not tha David Gervais' tiles are BAD, they're just not AS good IMO), and the game doesn't have these ginormous vaults and monsters with insane LoS radius like Angband does where I'd need a strategic overview!
ekolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2010, 21:09   #5
Dz.
Rookie

Dz. is on a distinguished road
I use old tiles, got used to play them on Amiga 15 years ago. I tried larger ones once or twice, but I was confused from the screen appearance so I stay with old tiles.
Dz. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2010, 21:10   #6
RogerN
Swordsman

RogerN is on a distinguished road
I've tried using tiles with Vanilla, but quickly found them to be unplayable. I have a hard time distinguishing between the smaller tiles. I might use the 32x32 tiles if I had a larger monitor or if LOS range was smaller.

The problem is that monsters can see you from 20 tiles away in both directions. Therefore it's desirable to be able to see 40 tiles in both X and Y dimensions. With 32x32 tiles, that corresponds to 1280 pixels of data in the vertical dimension - my monitor just isn't that big.

It's hard for me to pay careful attention to the monster list window (even though I leave it on), so if a monster isn't visible on the main display I'm likely to be killed by it while it's still off-screen.

I do like the idea of tiles, though. For my own project I'll probably lower LOS range from 20 to 15 tiles to make the game more playable on laptops, etc...
RogerN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2010, 21:20   #7
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverD View Post
Actually, good topic. I was thinking maybe now that we have more colors, maybe it would be possible to look into giving some tval to text color variety and maybe variety to some ascii equipment symbols?
Yes, I had that idea too. I was thinking of springing it on d_m when he was distracted ...
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2010, 22:29   #8
Speusippus
Rookie

Speusippus is on a distinguished road
How do I activate 32x32 tiles? All the tile options I can see give me small looking tiles that are hard to distinguish.
Speusippus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2010, 02:38   #9
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
32x32 exclusively. If it doesn't support this tile set, I probably won't play it for long. Playing with tiles means never having to l)ook (unless you want to see what just nearly killed you from off-screen).

If anyone is unaware, you can scale down the 32x32 tile set to something smaller, like 24x24 (via ini editing or the cumbersome in game menu). I use 30x30 on my laptop, or I wouldn't be able to see the status indicators at the bottom of the screen.
Old March 2, 2010, 04:24   #10
Malak Darkhunter
Knight

Malak Darkhunter is on a distinguished road
I don't use tiles, but that's just because I feel like I can see more of what's around me, as far as looks go, I think the 16x16 tiles do a good job, but you can't tell what your facing, it's hard to see. The 32x32 tiles are easier to tell whats going, and look pretty nice, but you don't see as much of the dungeon around you. I think continous development on the 32x32 tiles are a good idea, It would be nice to see angband in a nice fleshed out graphical world someday.