AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old May 1, 2010, 21:13   #11
Ycombinator
Adept

Ycombinator is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirridan View Post
Yeah drop all those, but keep Ulmo, and maybe carry it for the swap. (Ugh 3 swap weps, but imAcid is super useful)
I've just found Thorin. Ironically, it was dropped by acidic cytoplasm I killed with Ulmo. So this makes up CON (further CON boosts don't increase HP). Too bad I am losing rDark and rBlind without Celegorm.
Ycombinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010, 00:28   #12
Sirridan
Knight

Sirridan is on a distinguished road
Nice! Might want to keep Balli for a swap for rBlind now, although with staves of teleport and !CCW, although it's not a thing you direly need since you have telepathy.

Although if you go down to higher Q depth, you definitely want rBlind, being blind and not seeing the Greater Rotting Q summoning a bunch of Black Reavers is not something that ends well.
Sirridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 13:16   #13
Ycombinator
Adept

It's clvl 44, I have +20 speed and Tenser's (dump). Firing branded arrows with Bard feels way overpowered, but at least there are many creatures immune to elements.

Are Cubragol and Umbar of any use for me? I don't think they can surpass damage output of Bard, but maybe with good bolts...

All DROP_GREAT uniques disappointed me: Saruman, Ar-Pharazon, Glaurung. Saruman dropped interesting bow of Lothlorien, but everything else was absolutely useless.

I am a bit unsure what to do next. I was hanging out near dlvl 75 for a while, waiting for Tenser's, mostly avoiding fights. Now I can't think of any game changing item except rings of power and PDSM. Should I dive to dlvl 90 and hunt lonely great wyrms?
Old May 3, 2010, 17:37   #14
miyazaki
Adept

miyazaki is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ycombinator View Post
It's clvl 44, I have +20 speed and Tenser's (dump). Firing branded arrows with Bard feels way overpowered, but at least there are many creatures immune to elements.

Are Cubragol and Umbar of any use for me? I don't think they can surpass damage output of Bard, but maybe with good bolts...

All DROP_GREAT uniques disappointed me: Saruman, Ar-Pharazon, Glaurung. Saruman dropped interesting bow of Lothlorien, but everything else was absolutely useless.

I am a bit unsure what to do next. I was hanging out near dlvl 75 for a while, waiting for Tenser's, mostly avoiding fights. Now I can't think of any game changing item except rings of power and PDSM. Should I dive to dlvl 90 and hunt lonely great wyrms?
You should dive down to dlvl 97, look for dragon pits (you have 3 immunities), vaults or other lesser pits. You need arrow of acid (for Sauron) and slay evil (for Morgoth). With the acid arrows, you are strong enough to take on Sauron right now, but you could use some more consumables for the final battle (depending on how you want to do it). Scrolls of banishment, mass banishment and *destruction* should be saved for Morgoth.
miyazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 17:39   #15
Ycombinator
Adept

UPD: I've found The Crown of Gondor (Witch-King) and Narya (Baphomet) and was able to assemble the kit with basic speed +28 and resist everything except shards and disenchantment. rDisen can be covered at the expence of +3 speed.
Old May 3, 2010, 17:53   #16
Ycombinator
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyazaki View Post
You should dive down to dlvl 97, look for dragon pits (you have 3 immunities), vaults or other lesser pits. You need arrow of acid (for Sauron) and slay evil (for Morgoth). With the acid arrows, you are strong enough to take on Sauron right now, but you could use some more consumables for the final battle (depending on how you want to do it). Scrolls of banishment, mass banishment and *destruction* should be saved for Morgoth.
Thanks for advice. I am not hasty to fight S and M, so I'll spend some time collecting ammo and remaining interesting artifacts.
Old May 5, 2010, 21:42   #17
Ycombinator
Adept

Big thanks to everyone who helped me with my first winning character in Angband :-)
Old May 5, 2010, 22:17   #18
Nemesis
Adept

Nemesis is on a distinguished road
Congratulations! It seems like I'll be facing for the first Morgoth pretty soon too, unless I do something really stupid. I'm also playing a High-Elf Ranger, so how did you do? Did you just shoot at him with short breaks to teleport him away, *Destruct* and kill heal?

Last edited by Nemesis; May 5, 2010 at 22:23.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 22:46   #19
Ycombinator
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Congratulations! It seems like I'll be facing for the first Morgoth pretty soon too, unless I do something really stupid. I'm also playing a High-Elf Ranger, so how did you do? Did you just shoot at him with short breaks to teleport him away, *Destruct* and kill heal?
Exactly. A few times I teleported myself and waited for him to come first. Used Celeborn activation for banishment once. Some phase door dancing in destructed area. I used ~20 seeker arrows of slay evil, ~20 arrows of slay evil and ~20 seeker bolts of holy might with Bard and Umbar.
He only manastormed once, almost dead, and this was the only time I had to use !*Healing*.