Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old May 13, 2010, 07:31   #11
Ashkir
Rookie

Ashkir is on a distinguished road
Once you have cured the disease you have a couple of options. If you can afford it, you can restore lost stats at the temple. If you have a potion that temporarily raises a stat, when you quaff it, it will return the drained stat(s) to normal as well as give the boost. Or, if you don't have enough money or potions, buy a load of food, make sure you are in a safe place, eat until you are full and then rest. Use (R)est, then $ for regain stats. You will sleep for a long period, use up food then wake with a message telling you you feel a little better or words to that effect. Take a single move then look at your character sheet and you will see the drained stat has increased, probably by just a single point.

Just keep eating and resting this way and eventually it will return to normal but beware as you can become faint and weak from hunger while doing this and may pass out so make sure you are somewhere safe and quiet.

One other thing. If the drained stat is showing orange after a recent drain, that means it will slowly rise naturally as you play and it won't take long until it shows as a yellow number. This yellow number is now your maximum in the drained stat until you restore it by the methods above.
Ashkir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2010, 09:59   #12
andrewdoull
Unangband maintainer

andrewdoull is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashkir View Post
Once you have cured the disease you have a couple of options. If you can afford it, you can restore lost stats at the temple. Or, if you don't have enough money or potions, buy a load of food, make sure you are in a safe place, eat until you are full and then rest.
You can also chose to rest where a store service lets you do so.

Andrew
Unangband: http://unangband.blogspot.com
andrewdoull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2010, 17:03   #13
Nero
Scout

Nero is on a distinguished road
What decides the blows per round, I equiped a dagger and I was like ONE BLOW PER ROUND?!?!?!!?!?!
Nero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2010, 20:07   #14
Vario
Rookie

Vario is on a distinguished road
Disease

im newbie and hooked to UnAngband. And my char is diseased. About all stats are at 3... at least now after reading this thread, i know what to do with disease, thanks.

About my game, i think i will restart. I used all my money to healing on town but "Unfortunately healing will not cure disease you have" So, im size 5, str 6 and int 3 and all town animals are attacking me, and i have 0 gold. I need 650 gp for cure disease and lots of more for restorations... lol

But im just learning game, so restarting is just fun. I really like this, good work! Game goes smooth without bugs (i tried tome 3 before and it is _buggy_).

Also i like blood and body parts, a bit similar as DF, thats rough cool effect
Vario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2010, 11:23   #15
Bandobras
Knight

Bandobras is on a distinguished road
> My best character just got his stats pegged at 3 for the rest of his life,
> town cats regularly drown him in blood and puppies play with his body parts
> on the streets. I love this game!!!

Roguelike fans are the best in the world!

Now, where was the tread about making the game harder?
Bandobras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2010, 13:26   #16
LostTemplar
Knight

LostTemplar is on a distinguished road
When I played UN it seemed to me that it is too hard in the beginning and way too easy in late game.
LostTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2010, 06:53   #17
andrewdoull
Unangband maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostTemplar View Post
When I played UN it seemed to me that it is too hard in the beginning and way too easy in late game.
I'm curious as to how long ago and what class?

Andrew
Old June 22, 2010, 11:34   #18
LostTemplar
Knight

LostTemplar is on a distinguished road
It was 0.63 version, I played priests, mages and warriors. shallow depth monsters have various nasty attacks, all this conf, disen, etc. breathers on dlvl about 10 make start somewhat hard unlike V or FA. It maybe is not really hard but it seems hard, too many different monsters, dont even know what to avoid, but later all this imba spells, archery and tons of HP make game too easy, and bags contribute too, no inventory management at all, just carry everything, also no scroll, potion destruction due to elemental attacks.
LostTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2010, 11:57   #19
andrewdoull
Unangband maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostTemplar View Post
It was 0.63 version, I played priests, mages and warriors. shallow depth monsters have various nasty attacks, all this conf, disen, etc. breathers on dlvl about 10 make start somewhat hard unlike V or FA. It maybe is not really hard but it seems hard, too many different monsters dont even know what to avoid,
The total number of different monster types is limited per level so that you don't run into too many at once. That's the best approach I've been able to take while keeping the overall variety high.

Quote:
but later all this imba spells, archery and tons of HP make game too easy, and bags contribute too, no inventory management at all, just carry everything, also no scroll, potion destruction due to elemental attacks.
I won't disagree with you because I don't usually make it deep, but the feedback I've had from the ladder is that the game remains hard even with 2000+ hp characters. I hope this means hard/interesting but I'm always worried it starts to get hard/tedious.

The magical bags are a way of balancing inventory slots against spell books. This was directly inspired by the way that Hengband handles wands - as it encourages you to experiment with more item types. I've made them make their contents immune to elemental attacks to allow a massive hack to the internal data structure that stores the contents.

I wonder if leaving their contents vulnerable to damage, plus items not going into magical bags if you've made the item immune to damage by enchanting it might be the other approach to take here. It seems less consistent - I mean they are *magical* bags, but it might be better from a game balance point of view. (The trade off being of elemental resistance vs. higher carrying capacity).

Alternately limiting the different types of contents of bags to maybe 10 slots instead of up to 22 slots per bag either by having a hard limit ("The bag has no more pockets.") or dividing up the bag types to be more granular.

Any other suggestions are welcome...

Andrew
Old June 24, 2010, 16:57   #20
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoull View Post
The magical bags are a way of balancing inventory slots against spell books. This was directly inspired by the way that Hengband handles wands - as it encourages you to experiment with more item types. I've made them make their contents immune to elemental attacks to allow a massive hack to the internal data structure that stores the contents.

I wonder if leaving their contents vulnerable to damage, plus items not going into magical bags if you've made the item immune to damage by enchanting it might be the other approach to take here. It seems less consistent - I mean they are *magical* bags, but it might be better from a game balance point of view. (The trade off being of elemental resistance vs. higher carrying capacity).
I could imagine making bags somewhat vulnerable to fire... if the bag is destroyed, its contents spill into the inventory (and presumably onto the ground once that fills up). This might make them too annoying... maybe the odds of it happening should be smaller, I don't know.

Disclaimer: I have been trying to figure out how to do well in Un with a Maia druid for about a year, so I'm not exactly an "advanced" player