Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 22, 2007, 21:44   #11
Daven_26d1
Adept
 
Daven_26d1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North of England.
Posts: 211
Daven_26d1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al;
I assume that you're talking about the floating eyes even though you called them evil eyes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian;
> The Floating eye gazes at you.
> *** LOW HITPOINT WARNING! ***
> The Floating eye gazes at you.
Chose not to clarify this earlier, so I didn't spoil anything, but yeah, I guess he means floating eyes. =)
__________________
You sold a Broken Sword (1d2) (-2,-4) {average} (j) for 1 gold.
The shopkeeper howls in agony!
You say "Dude, the clue is in the name...".
Daven_26d1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2007, 23:37   #12
Ian
Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4
Ian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimoni View Post
In both V3.0.6 and V.3.0.9, the paralyze attack inflicts a minimum of 4 normal-speed turns of paralysis, and a maximum of 3+(monster level) normal-speed turns of paralysis.

I don't see any changes in the C source (either timeout code or attack code) that would cause an increase in paralytic efficiency.
Ok my bad on calling them evil eyes, I guess they were evil to me and eyes. Ok floating eyes in 3.0.6 never dirrectly killed any of my early characters. I mean a level 10 and 7 priest plus a few other priests that lvl just never saved even once to get away, just instant killed?

What damage does a floating eye do and take my little bit of AC plus health at that level, plus good resist chance, plus floating eyes chance to miss and how many turn about does that run? Alot and you would think 1 of my priest so far would have had a fraction of a chance in all the turns to maybe be able to react and move away.

Possible reason I didnt think of is I usualy run into them going down a hall way and they surprise me, using the quick move stopping at doors and the like. Could the program just keep saying im tring to move down the hall way, but not noticing the blocking eye thus every time I do save or come out of paralyze i just auto move again?
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2007, 23:46   #13
Daven_26d1
Adept
 
Daven_26d1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North of England.
Posts: 211
Daven_26d1 is on a distinguished road
No. If you move into the eye, you'll attack and if you move into a wall you won't waste a turn. I can't think what else you mean, and I presume by "auto-move" you mean "running" and you won't keep on trying to run in this situation.

The eyes are really just traps that catch you out if you aren't paying attention; also be aware that it can be dangerous to run into unexplored corridors if you cut the corners...
__________________
You sold a Broken Sword (1d2) (-2,-4) {average} (j) for 1 gold.
The shopkeeper howls in agony!
You say "Dude, the clue is in the name...".
Daven_26d1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2007, 01:11   #14
andrewdoull
Unangband maintainer
 
andrewdoull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Age: 40
Posts: 871
andrewdoull is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
What damage does a floating eye do and take my little bit of AC plus health at that level, plus good resist chance, plus floating eyes chance to miss and how many turn about does that run? Alot and you would think 1 of my priest so far would have had a fraction of a chance in all the turns to maybe be able to react and move away.
A floating eye does no damage to you unless you are paralyzed, in which case it does 1 hp.

This is to prevent you sitting for an infinite length of time getting gazed at and suffer the indignity of starving to death.

Andrew
__________________
The Roflwtfzomgbbq Quylthulg summons L33t Paladins -more-
In UnAngband, the level dives you.
ASCII Dreams: http://roguelikedeveloper.blogspot.com
Unangband: http://unangband.blogspot.com
andrewdoull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2007, 11:14   #15
Magnate
Angband Devteam member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 5,008
Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Ok my bad on calling them evil eyes, I guess they were evil to me and eyes. Ok floating eyes in 3.0.6 never dirrectly killed any of my early characters. I mean a level 10 and 7 priest plus a few other priests that lvl just never saved even once to get away, just instant killed?
Ian, you're not quite getting it. It doesn't matter how many times you save (and your priests probably both saved quite often), if you are still paralysed by a previously failed save. Don't forget that each failed save paralyses you for FOUR turns, not just one. So once you're paralysed, you have to save four times *in a row*, because the first three will be part of the existing paralysis, and only the fourth will actually let you move again.

Is that any clearer? This is why people are telling you not to fight floating eyes by standing next to them. By all means chuck rocks at them or fire arrows at them, but don't stand next to them. It's really not difficult.
Quote:
Possible reason I didnt think of is I usualy run into them going down a hall way and they surprise me, using the quick move stopping at doors and the like. Could the program just keep saying im tring to move down the hall way, but not noticing the blocking eye thus every time I do save or come out of paralyze i just auto move again?
No, I'm pretty confident that this isn't happening. You are simply continually paralysed, because you never make four saves in a row. If your priest has a 60% chance of saving (I have no idea what the real figure is, but bear with me), then making four saves in a row is only 13% likely. (EDIT: it's actually even worse than this, because when you fail a second save another four turns of paralysis are added to however many you have remaining, rather than just re-setting the counter to four - so you can end up needing 8 ... 12 ... 16 consecutive saves ....)

You shouldn't run into them, because the running code should always stop you as soon as a monster comes into view. The only possible issue is if you are using the run_cut_corners option, which is unwise because you can step round a corner and be right next to a monster.

CC
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2007, 13:41   #16
Seany C
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Deepest, darkest Yorkshire...
Posts: 278
Donated: $20
Seany C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Is that any clearer? This is why people are telling you not to fight floating eyes by standing next to them. By all means chuck rocks at them or fire arrows at them, but don't stand next to them. It's really not difficult.
Simple(ish) solution: buy a sling and a bunch of rounded pebbles/iron shots - once you see an eye,'f'ire these from a minimum of 2 squares away until the eye is one big dead mush of conjuctivitis. At the risk of sounding spoily, once you get into double figures for CL, you should have a spell that can do damage from a distance so you won't need to use the sling/pebble method.

Also, as someone said earlier, once your AC is above 15 or so, you'd be quite unlucky to get 'hit' (i.e. "gazed at") by the eye before you splat it with your mace/whip/blunt object of choice...
Seany C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2007, 17:32   #17
Big Al
Swordsman
 
Big Al's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Calgary
Age: 26
Posts: 327
Donated: $18.32
Big Al is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
You shouldn't run into them, because the running code should always stop you as soon as a monster comes into view. The only possible issue is if you are using the run_cut_corners option, which is unwise because you can step round a corner and be right next to a monster.
New in 3.0.9 is torches have radius-2 light if they have over 2500(or is it 3000?) fuel, so always try to keep torches fueled up at least that much - that way, you'll see the monsters before you're right next to them.
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2007, 11:11   #18
Magnate
Angband Devteam member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 5,008
Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
New in 3.0.9 is torches have radius-2 light if they have over 2500(or is it 3000?) fuel, so always try to keep torches fueled up at least that much - that way, you'll see the monsters before you're right next to them.
Thanks for the reminder - I'd forgotten that you could also run into them if your light source is only radius 1, even without run_cut_corners on. But I don't think I've ever played with a light source of radius 1, so I neglected to mention it!

CC
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Object Stacking bug 309 APWhite Vanilla 3 October 23, 2007 11:04
[D] Bug tracking help request. APWhite Variants 1 July 24, 2007 11:35
Terrain changes visible outside characters sight -- Feature or Bug?? Elsairon Vanilla 3 June 12, 2007 14:04
Problems accessing bug tracker Faust Vanilla 3 April 26, 2007 17:29


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.