Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 6, 2010, 19:37   #1
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Half way to grave
Posts: 3,247
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Random abilities and 3.1.2

Hello.

I'm playing comp which is vanilla 3.1.2 r1971.

I have found a lot of items which should have random ability (regen, ESP etc.) but have not. Some of them do however.

Has something changed, or doesn't ID reveal them always?
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2010, 00:53   #2
d_m
Angband Devteam member
 
d_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA, USA
Age: 33
Posts: 1,496
d_m is on a distinguished road
Which items? There was work on bitflags which could possibly have introduced a bug (there was already an earlier bug relating to randarts and slays). It will be hard to track down without specific items. Also, were these drops, found on the level, bought in a store, etc?
__________________
linux->xterm->screen->pmacs
d_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2010, 06:45   #3
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Half way to grave
Posts: 3,247
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m View Post
Which items? There was work on bitflags which could possibly have introduced a bug (there was already an earlier bug relating to randarts and slays). It will be hard to track down without specific items. Also, were these drops, found on the level, bought in a store, etc?
I think most of them are dungeon findings. Gondolin weapons (all of them, no matter where I see these) some *slay evil* and I'm using a Lothlorien Bow with only FA which is what they have always. I think I have also seen one or two Blessed without extra ability. The last one I'm not sure. Gondolin is definite (found at least 15-20 of those all without anything extra), and the only Lothlorien I have seen is also pretty obvious. *slay evil* has been a bit less noticeable because there has been so few of them and I usually just check "does this have ESP? No?" -> ditch. One latest just didn't have anything: blessed, like all *slay evil*, slay evil (obviously), WIS bonus, other than that: nothing.

I think only those weapons are affected. Everything else I have seen have had something extra. Aman, permanence and elvenkind have extra resist, defenders and holy avengers sustains, helmets with extra abilities have extra ability. Haven't found magi cloak, but there is another comp player that has and he has ESP from magi cloak
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2010, 07:08   #4
PowerDiver
Prophet
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,588
PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
I'm using a Lothlorien Bow with only FA
If you are referring to your comp char, the bow you are wielding has increased light radius for its random ability.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2010, 08:32   #5
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Half way to grave
Posts: 3,247
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
If you are referring to your comp char, the bow you are wielding has increased light radius for its random ability.
You are correct. I didn't notice that when I looked at what it has. Extra lite doesn't show where all the other "extra abilities" are listed. So it is mainly just Gondolin weapons. Or there is something wrong with somewhere deeper (Nearly ready to kill M, and haven't seen single RoResistPoison, which is really weird).
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2010, 04:52   #6
PowerDiver
Prophet
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,588
PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
So it is mainly just Gondolin weapons.
I haven't noticed any problems, and I tend to look for this problem since it happened so many times before. I've put in some debugging code, and haven't seen anything unusual. Take a look at my most recent comp dump to see a gondolin with ESP.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2010, 08:37   #7
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Half way to grave
Posts: 3,247
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
I haven't noticed any problems, and I tend to look for this problem since it happened so many times before. I've put in some debugging code, and haven't seen anything unusual. Take a look at my most recent comp dump to see a gondolin with ESP.
Can the "random ability" hit a already existing ability? If that is the case then what I have seen in Gondolin weapons might just be RNG mocking me. Otherwise I'm definitely seeing a bug here.

Now at work, didn't have time to play yesterday and this day looks to go in similar direction, so might be before I have time to test again.

I think RNG is acting funny in my game anyway. I think I have seen only four RoFA and only one RoSI in entire game, but I have seen at least six or seven Rings of Acid in very short time period. Also not a single Ring of Resist Poison, and I have had access to illumination due finding Palantir for a while. I investigate unknown rings, because at this point unknown rings have high probability to be artifact rings.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2010, 09:25   #8
PowerDiver
Prophet
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,588
PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
Can the "random ability" hit a already existing ability? If that is the case then what I have seen in Gondolin weapons might just be RNG mocking me. Otherwise I'm definitely seeing a bug here.
The code checks against the flags of the ego. It is now considered a bug for the random ability to match the ego. That used to be possible in 3.0, but hopefully not now.

I usually don't bother to ID gondolins without ESP, or even gondolins with ESP , but I will try to check to see if I see this bug happen in my games.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2010, 13:38   #9
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Half way to grave
Posts: 3,247
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
The code checks against the flags of the ego. It is now considered a bug for the random ability to match the ego. That used to be possible in 3.0, but hopefully not now.

I usually don't bother to ID gondolins without ESP, or even gondolins with ESP , but I will try to check to see if I see this bug happen in my games.
I just found pretty good Gondolin with ESP. Apparently RNG was playing tricks on me. I'm sure that none of the previous ones did have anything extra, but now the game is behaving just fine.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2010, 19:19   #10
PowerDiver
Prophet
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,588
PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
I just found pretty good Gondolin with ESP. Apparently RNG was playing tricks on me. I'm sure that none of the previous ones did have anything extra, but now the game is behaving just fine.
I put in some serious debugging code, and everything appears correct. Gondolin generation does not even consider a matching ability of SI, FA, or Lite. Random abilities used to be listed at the end of object descriptions, but now all flags are reported in fixed order. You may have missed the slow dig or feather fall early in the description.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
= and " not really random? SaThaRiel Vanilla 4 April 5, 2010 07:57
Stores and other random thoughts dhegler Vanilla 13 January 17, 2010 07:38
Random ideas... dhegler Vanilla 7 December 18, 2009 09:42
random questions darkdrone Vanilla 3 August 1, 2008 16:00
Random artifact thoughts Jothar Hillpeople Vanilla 2 November 16, 2007 06:40


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.