Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 16, 2010, 07:10   #1
miyazaki
Adept
 
miyazaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: BC, Canada
Age: 37
Posts: 227
miyazaki is on a distinguished road
Suicide mission?

I have been playing recently with the goal of killing the big M in less than a half-million turns. The deadline is rapidly approaching, and I am feeling less than prepared.

Here's the weird thing: I have some sick gear. Seriously. But some key gaps and a major shortage of consumables. I tried taking on Sauron with my lance and a =acid but couldn't do it. Sauron's charge-draining made melee impractical. Searched for another 100K turns until I found some arrows of acid and he went down.

My character.

It says a lot about the state of the game that I can to dlvl95 in 250K turns, then in the next 200K turns only find 7 healing potions or so while specifically looking for them in the deepest, most dangerous part of the dungeon.

When I get a free evening later this week, I am going for it!
miyazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2010, 08:06   #2
Fendell Orcbane
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Washington state USA
Posts: 454
Fendell Orcbane is on a distinguished road
Yep I know how you feel the only healing potions I've seen have been in vaults. The Black Market doesn't seem to be selling them either.
Fendell Orcbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2010, 14:10   #3
fizzix
Prophet
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, US
Posts: 2,524
fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyazaki View Post
I have been playing recently with the goal of killing the big M in less than a half-million turns. The deadline is rapidly approaching, and I am feeling less than prepared.

Here's the weird thing: I have some sick gear. Seriously. But some key gaps and a major shortage of consumables. I tried taking on Sauron with my lance and a =acid but couldn't do it. Sauron's charge-draining made melee impractical. Searched for another 100K turns until I found some arrows of acid and he went down.

My character.

It says a lot about the state of the game that I can to dlvl95 in 250K turns, then in the next 200K turns only find 7 healing potions or so while specifically looking for them in the deepest, most dangerous part of the dungeon.

When I get a free evening later this week, I am going for it!
Here's what I would do. Leave all the staves at home except banishment and destruction. When you get down, use up banishment to kill Z's, U's, L's or anything else you might not want to face. Use up the _destruction staff making a couple destruction zones to break up line of sight for Ms summonses. Bring down all your healing potions, but don't bother with the staves. You can bring the rod if you want. Personally I think you'd be fine without any !CCW and just using your heal spell, but you can bring some !CCW. However, you definitely want about 30 ?phase and you should be reading these instead of casting blink because of the zero fail.

Anytime you drop below 600 HP, phase and use non potion healing. If the area you're fighting gets crowded with summons TO Morgoth and destruct (either with scroll or by recharging your staves and using all charges) If Morgoth brings in dangerous uniques, TO them. M will come back.

I wouldn't even bother with archery because of your amazing weapon

You don't need pb1 or pb2 although you may want pb3 in case M summons weak monsters and you want to be able to attack him. Use !*healing* or !life after mana storms. You probably won't get hit with more than 4 manastorms during the battle so your consumables *should* be enough.

Good luck! You'll have the first gnome paladin winner!
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2010, 15:19   #4
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,649
Derakon is on a distinguished road
For reference, my last paladin winner used one *Healing* potion, no Life potions, and only a few Healing potions; most of his healing was of the "phase-away, cast Heal/chug CCW" variety. Healing potions (the base type) are not that critical because they only provide 300HP heals. It's the big heals, and the Destruct/Banish effects, that you need to have access to.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2010, 01:19   #5
miyazaki
Adept
 
miyazaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: BC, Canada
Age: 37
Posts: 227
miyazaki is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
For reference, my last paladin winner used one *Healing* potion, no Life potions, and only a few Healing potions; most of his healing was of the "phase-away, cast Heal/chug CCW" variety. Healing potions (the base type) are not that critical because they only provide 300HP heals. It's the big heals, and the Destruct/Banish effects, that you need to have access to.
Done and done.

The final battle was a little hairy but not too bad. I used up my missiles of slay evil pretty quick and only took off two *'s. The rest was melee. My strategy was to try and get Morgoth to summon the remaining uniques early (Vecna, Tarrasque and all the angels remained) and then move to another corner for the battle. I had about 8 healing potions and only used them if I dropped below 550 hp. My 7 !restore mana were much more useful/valuable. Only 4 banishment options and saved them for extremely dangerous summons (pit fiends, gravity hounds, titans). There was one moment when I was facing multiple U's and mis-cast *destruct* thrice. Other than that, it went to plan.

One of the reasons I love randarts. There are no no-brainers. In the final battle, I left these boots at home because they didn't work for my strategy/final kit.

Code:
The Pair of Mithril Shod Boots of Celeb [7,+17]
-----------------------------------------------
+2 wisdom, dexterity, shooting speed.
Provides immunity to cold.
Provides resistance to lightning, confusion.
Cannot be harmed by acid, electricity, fire, cold.
Sustains strength, wisdom.
Speeds regeneration.  

When activated, it hastens you for d20+20 turns.
Takes 110 to 200 turns to recharge.
miyazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2010, 19:57   #6
Magnate
Angband Devteam member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 4,980
Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyazaki View Post
One of the reasons I love randarts. There are no no-brainers.
Thank you. I think that's the best result so far.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2010, 20:19   #7
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Half way to grave
Posts: 3,247
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Thank you. I think that's the best result so far.
Tiny note: for this current competition randarts there are several very good items that have max depth shallower than 95. That includes one melee-weapon with +3 blows and big dice, and one item with IM_FIRE.

Also I think there are too many items with immunities. I could have all basic4 elements covered several times over.

Maybe you should revisit those depths and immunities. Otherwise it looked quite good.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2010, 20:46   #8
fizzix
Prophet
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, US
Posts: 2,524
fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
Tiny note: for this current competition randarts there are several very good items that have max depth shallower than 95. That includes one melee-weapon with +3 blows and big dice, and one item with IM_FIRE.

Also I think there are too many items with immunities. I could have all basic4 elements covered several times over.

Maybe you should revisit those depths and immunities. Otherwise it looked quite good.
immunities are hit and miss with randarts. Some games I have 3 or 4, some I have none. My last game had no immunities in my final kit. Just like everything else with randarts, it's random. I haven't found it to be too much different than the standart immunity set over a large enough sample size.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2010, 21:37   #9
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,649
Derakon is on a distinguished road
I've played a few games with randarts now, and what I'm noticing is that randarts leave you relying on ego items much more often than standarts do, for the majority of the game until you start collecting endgame gear (and sometimes even then). If you take a look at the standart list, you have pretty good odds that a character in the 2000' range will have found at least one each of:

* Cambeleg, Cammithrim, or one of the Paur* gauntlets
* Thorin, Celegorm, or Aragorn
* Thranduil, Thengel, or Holhenneth
* Colluin, Holcolleth, Collanon, or Thorongil
* Any number of probably-somewhat-useful weapons

These are all solid, useful pieces of gear that set the character up nicely for the mid-late game. They may not show up in final loadouts but they're instrumental in letting the player get the gear that will.

In contrast, my randart characters are running around with cruddy ego-item gear well into the late game because nothing's been generated for that equipment slot that can be created earlier on. I had a priest wearing Gloves of Agility (+5) at clvl 45! Not to mention going a long time without See Invisible because the only egos it generates on are weapons and helms, both of which I needed for other purposes (weapon with telepathy, helm with a desperately-needed WIS/CON boost). In fact, at one point, my priest was running around the 4000' area with this loadout:

* Blessed Executioner's Sword (+1 WIS, telepathy)
* Heavy Crossbow of Extra Shots (+1)
* Ring of Constitution (+3)
* Ring of Constitution (+4)
* Amulet of Wisdom (+5)
* Elven Cloak of Stealth (+5)
* Gloves of Agility (+5)
* Randart helm (+4 WIS, SI, some random not-very-useful resists)
* Elvenkind armor (+3, resist confusion)
* Boots of Stealth (+3)
* Randart shield (+3 CHA, some not-very-useful resists)

So sure, late-game randarts may have the potential for overpoweredness, but getting to that point is often nontrivial!
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2010, 22:12   #10
Zikke
Knight
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 968
Zikke is on a distinguished road
Well written, Derakon. I have had the exact same experiences with my randart games. Very few useful randarts until very late.
__________________
A(3.1.0b) CWS "Fyren_V" NEW L:50 DL:127 A++ R+++ Sp+ w:The Great Axe of Eonwe
A/FA W H- D c-- !f PV+++ s? d P++ M+
C- S+ I- !So B ac++ GHB? SQ? !RQ V F:
Zikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Would you suicide this guy? Dragonboneman Vanilla 13 October 30, 2008 09:05
[Z2.74c] (Nightmare mode) - Suicide's Mission quaxocal AAR 7 October 24, 2008 19:24
Suicide dive with mage Pete Mack AAR 9 April 22, 2008 12:01


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 19:12.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.