AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Competition

Old June 26, 2010, 07:23   #11
Pete Mack
Veteran

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Player turns is a crazy metric

It turns out that I can really optimize town movement with a combination of Rest & portal.
Want to go to the other side of town? Rest to full MP, then portal until you get close. Then repeat...
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2010, 08:57   #12
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
It turns out that I can really optimize town movement with a combination of Rest & portal.
Want to go to the other side of town? Rest to full MP, then portal until you get close. Then repeat...
And that takes you real time just as little as it takes turns. So that is probably fastest way to do that. Thanks for the tip, never considered that one.

You can in fact do that same in dungeon if you want to risk death by teleporting in LoS of some nasties.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2010, 08:57   #13
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
That's fine - nobody minds how you get around the town. (I think you mean Active Turns, since resting increments Player Turns)
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2010, 09:56   #14
Pete Mack
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
That's fine - nobody minds how you get around the town. (I think you mean Active Turns, since resting increments Player Turns)
I meant Active turns--sorry for not specifying. Using Active turns also makes Orb of Draining a real winner compared with just about anything else for damage. In fact, it makes just about every kind of spell casting a complete winner. Of course, this favors the dwarf over the troll, as if that weren't already the case...

@Timo -- up to ~1750', portal is the best way to get around the dungeon. After that, it depends on how strong your character is. My character is way too weak and un-stealthy for random jumps at gravity hound depth.
Old June 26, 2010, 20:13   #15
bron
Swordsman

Location: Saratoga, California (in the midst of Silicon Valley)
bron is on a distinguished road
I just downloaded the starting files, and I gotta ask: would anyone ever start out a character with these stats? IMHO the second blow is way more important than the higher wisdom. At least both chars are crippled in the same way ..
bron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2010, 20:29   #16
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bron View Post
I just downloaded the starting files, and I gotta ask: would anyone ever start out a character with these stats? IMHO the second blow is way more important than the higher wisdom. At least both chars are crippled in the same way ..
You can't get second blow with dwarf, no matter how you put your stats, and for priest high WIS is more important than one blow anyway. Half-Troll could get extra blow, but it would mean very low WIS (max 17), which would hurt you later a lot. Especially if you play with RL fast game instead of artificial turncount tuning.
Old June 26, 2010, 21:00   #17
bron
Swordsman

Location: Saratoga, California (in the midst of Silicon Valley)
bron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
You can't get second blow with dwarf, no matter how you put your stats, and for priest high WIS is more important than one blow anyway.
My bad; somehow I thought a dwarf could get 2 blows - don't know where my head was on that one.

That said however, I think that it makes the point even stronger. If the comp is supposed to be trying to explore the differences between a dwarf's better priestly abilities and a half-troll's better fighting ability, I don't think it make a good comparison to start out by crippling the half-troll's fighting ability.

And I completely disagree with your statement that the high WIS is more important than the second blow. A disagreement that (should have been) the whole point of the comp.
bron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2010, 21:42   #18
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I'm getting the impression this competition is biased in favor of the race that Timo was trying to prove makes for better priests. Using active turns makes the troll's regeneration nowhere near as significant a factor (normally it's one of the troll's best attributes), and biasing the troll against combat loses him the major starting advantage of being capable in melee, which makes diving much more feasible in the early game.

Of course, the use of non-preserve mode penalizes diving in general. I'm not sure what to think about that.

I'm not participating in the comp since I just finished playing a priest, mind. This does seem a bit odd though.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2010, 22:31   #19
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I'm getting the impression this competition is biased in favor of the race that Timo was trying to prove makes for better priests. Using active turns makes the troll's regeneration nowhere near as significant a factor (normally it's one of the troll's best attributes),
When I talk about fast game I don't mean some artificial turncount calculation. I mean how it is perceived by the player, IE. resting takes practically no time which means active turns is only reasonable way to somehow count how fast you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
and biasing the troll against combat loses him the major starting advantage of being capable in melee, which makes diving much more feasible in the early game.
I'm not at all convinced that one extra blow means anything. Especially when played with active turns (you can use OoD a lot more). Anyway, with maxed WIS troll still needs only a bit more STR to get second blow with light weapon, which is what my char currently has and I'm only at 1000'. With Dwarf I would still have only one blow (but more OoD to compensate).

In fact H-Troll regeneration do make a difference. I have fought some battles already that I couldn't have won with Dwarf. I really don't know which is better. H-Troll Priest seem to be better than I expected.
Old June 26, 2010, 23:31   #20
Pete Mack
Veteran

Have reached drolem depth, now need to dive fast to get detection.
I do wish that you had spent a few points on CON, rather than completely maximizing STR and WIS.