Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old September 12, 2010, 20:22   #1
Fendell Orcbane
Swordsman

Fendell Orcbane is on a distinguished road
Max Depth...

So I've been running my winner into the ground looking for artifacts just for the hell of it, and I get to lvl 127 and it seems that I can't go any further down. Which is fine by me. I was just wondering if drops got better past 100.
Fendell Orcbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2010, 20:30   #2
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
The drops you get depend on a combination of the monster's level and your dungeon level (or just the dungeon level for floor items), so yes, drops should get better as you get deeper.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2010, 21:18   #3
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
The drops you get depend on a combination of the monster's level and your dungeon level (or just the dungeon level for floor items), so yes, drops should get better as you get deeper.
IIRC the version he is playing has max (mlevel, dlevel), so dungeon bottom is absolutely the best place to be. Also some bonuses in items increase the deeper you are (like RoS bonus).

OTOH I think modern angband has maxed most items to dlvl 100, not dlvl 127, which just feels wrong. I'm quite sure how this is visible in playing though (one thing I haven't done is stay playing after winning any prolonged period of time).
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2010, 22:19   #4
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
OTOH I think modern angband has maxed most items to dlvl 100, not dlvl 127, which just feels wrong. I'm quite sure how this is visible in playing though (one thing I haven't done is stay playing after winning any prolonged period of time).
The game is over before DL101 for all practical purposes. I don't see any reason for DL 101 to 127 even to exist.

Do you want those fantastic items to only show up "in depth" as 30 level OoD in greater vaults at DL 97-99? I'm not sure.

Max of DL100 is bad with 3.1.2v2 drops, but it might be fine now that monster drop depth isn't so deep.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2010, 23:09   #5
Fendell Orcbane
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
IIRC the version he is playing has max (mlevel, dlevel), so dungeon bottom is absolutely the best place to be. Also some bonuses in items increase the deeper you are (like RoS bonus).

Honestly I just want to see how many points I can get at this point. But I've been thinking of starting a new character up...maybe a warrior. I'm guessing that a warrior is going to be harder than a Ranger or a Mage.
Old September 13, 2010, 00:32   #6
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
The game is over before DL101 for all practical purposes. I don't see any reason for DL 101 to 127 even to exist.
Max the dungeon. Push it to 256 levels. At DL128 initiate mandatory ironman style play and eliminate monster memory. Additionally all enemies get 2x all abilities (speed, HP, damage) + random abilities. After DL200, 2x once again (4x). Forget about overpowered randarts. Let's see who can find, and maybe even kill the toughest enemy ever .
Old September 13, 2010, 00:43   #7
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fendell Orcbane View Post
Honestly I just want to see how many points I can get at this point. But I've been thinking of starting a new character up...maybe a warrior. I'm guessing that a warrior is going to be harder than a Ranger or a Mage.
It really depends. Warriors have blazingly fast starts and can absorb way more punishment than rangers or mages can. They aren't as versatile, sure, but items make up for most of the deficit. Their big lack is monster detection; once you get -Detection you're pretty well set.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2010, 01:52   #8
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
Let's see who can find, and maybe even kill the toughest enemy ever .
M is the toughest enemy ever in V. If that ever changes, M needs to be upgraded to fix it.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2010, 06:43   #9
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
It really depends. Warriors have blazingly fast starts and can absorb way more punishment than rangers or mages can. They aren't as versatile, sure, but items make up for most of the deficit. Their big lack is monster detection; once you get -Detection you're pretty well set.
Warriors are a bit like Priests, fast to play at start, slow at stat-gain region and again fast at the end.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2010, 23:06   #10
Fendell Orcbane
Swordsman

Yes a warrior it will be! I like the idea of a fast start.