Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old January 27, 2011, 14:57   #11
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tregonsee View Post
I know that drops do not affect level feelings because they are generated afterward, but what about what may or may not lie under rubble?

Is the rubble generated with what is underneath when the level is generated
(adding to the level) or is the potential stuff under the rubble generated after the rubble is removed?

The answer may make it so people stick around on a level longer to uncover rubble piles...
Any object is only generated when the rubble is removed, so they cannot currently affect level feelings. This could be changed - along with generating monster drops at level creation - and could be incorporated into the new level feeling system.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2011, 15:26   #12
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Rubble items are generated when you clear the pile, 10% of the time. They do not exist beforehand.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2011, 16:18   #13
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Rubble items are generated when you clear the pile, 10% of the time. They do not exist beforehand.
In the future, I'd like to pre-generate the items for rubble, monster drops, chests, and everything else... there's no good reason not to do this and it makes a lot of interesting things possible.
Old January 27, 2011, 17:44   #14
Tiburon Silverflame
Swordsman

Tiburon Silverflame is on a distinguished road
Ehh...I'm not sure about pre-generating the drops *if* it's going to affect level feelings. You get, say, a Superb level feeling, use !Enlightenment...no vault, no pit interesting enough, no monster...so it's probably an item. OK, you decide, the level's pretty much worth checking extensively.

So you do. Nope, nothing dramatic.

Do we really want to say, OK, go clear *all* the rubble until you find it (and/or clear all the monsters still alive that have drops)...or forget about whatever was causing the feeling. Damn sure hope you've got Preserve Artifacts on.

Either way, it feels potentially tedious.

If it doesn't affect level feelings, there would still be the issue in No Preserve mode. In No Preserve, artifacts 'carried' but never dropped, should be preserved...otherwise, playing No Preserve is just too much of a pain.
Tiburon Silverflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2011, 18:10   #15
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiburon Silverflame View Post
If it doesn't affect level feelings, there would still be the issue in No Preserve mode. In No Preserve, artifacts 'carried' but never dropped, should be preserved...otherwise, playing No Preserve is just too much of a pain.
Without that no matter how carefully you play you might end up losing artifacts, because new monsters spawn before you go to next level with any exploring.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2011, 16:55   #16
Tregonsee
Adept

Tregonsee is on a distinguished road
I went from 3.09b to 3.2 and the level feelings are different. Is there a list somewhere about these new level feelings?
Tregonsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2011, 18:27   #17
Nomad
Swordsman

Nomad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tregonsee View Post
I went from 3.09b to 3.2 and the level feelings are different. Is there a list somewhere about these new level feelings?
Here you go.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2011, 03:45   #18
Hariolor
Swordsman

Hariolor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiburon Silverflame View Post
Ehh...I'm not sure about pre-generating the drops *if* it's going to affect level feelings. You get, say, a Superb level feeling, use !Enlightenment...no vault, no pit interesting enough, no monster...so it's probably an item. OK, you decide, the level's pretty much worth checking extensively.

So you do. Nope, nothing dramatic.

Do we really want to say, OK, go clear *all* the rubble until you find it (and/or clear all the monsters still alive that have drops)...or forget about whatever was causing the feeling. Damn sure hope you've got Preserve Artifacts on.

Either way, it feels potentially tedious.

I would think that if any level takes too long, regardless of how good the feeling is, I'd just leave. It's really not worth the risk of hanging around clearing levels. If something isn't relatively easy pickings, it's likely not worth finding.

Now, if level feelings gave a lot more detail in terms of items, such that I could reliably know I'd find something out-of-depth-good, I'd be tempted to stick around. But I don't personally think giving that much info beforehand would be much fun.

So I guess I don't see your point, Tiburon. If you think digging up all the rubble on a level is a hassle, then don't. You'll find another good item soon enough anyway, unless, as you say, you have preserve-off. But then that's your own fault for being masochistic
Hariolor is offline   Reply With Quote