Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old October 14, 2010, 12:14   #41
ewert
Knight

ewert is on a distinguished road
Okay a three tiered version with first info being pit/vault that comes instantly upon entering level, then uniques after a while and finally artifact info some time later.

Reasoning: uniques and artifacts can't be "missed" (unless preserve off, but that is a very special case), so no need to tell them straight off. A level without a pit or vault is totally boring, so I'd rather not even bother with levels like those after some depth. Even a pit will call me to clear it though, so giving that info straight away will most likely lure me into exploring the level and clearing the pit, and then the unique/artifact info will prod me into exploring even more thoroughly the level if there are any.
ewert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2010, 12:54   #42
ewert
Knight

Hmm, well rethinking while looking at the code and noticing I don't know right away how to code a delayed level feeling ... =P

I think giving pit spesifics with the feeling is too much. Graveyards and jelly pits will be skipped even without having to go see which pit it is.

Not sure if there is any harm in telling if there is a unique present right away. I mean, it is no "look here, free treasure" like clairvoyance was.

Artifacts ... Pits, vaults and uniques cover most of artifacts found I guess. Pit/vault/unique feeling would thus cover "fight for it and may find artifacts" mostly. Just an "artifact here somewhere", in the case of vaults, is just surplus info. If it is an artifact lying around in a normal room ... Do we want "free treasure here" signs? Probably not ...

I think I'll code a straight up non-delayed version first, with artifact feeling only for preserve_off.
Old October 14, 2010, 13:02   #43
Nick
FAangband maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewert View Post
Hmm, well rethinking while looking at the code and noticing I don't know right away how to code a delayed level feeling ... =P
NPP and FA have them, if you're up for some code theft.
Old October 14, 2010, 14:11   #44
ewert
Knight

Yeah thought NPP had it, couldn't bother (headache, ungh) to go find it.

Well now the feelings are done. No boring "wait on stairs 1000 game turns" delays for new feeling. no_feelings option is there if you don't want this autoscum-type feature, as is disconnected_stairs, so honestly it was just tedium that you didn't always get level feeling.

Next LoS trap detection I guess, then fracblows ... and then I might actually play the game a bit too! =P
Old October 15, 2010, 15:34   #45
EpicMan
Adept

EpicMan is on a distinguished road
Hengband also implemented delayed level feelings, though I suspect NPP or FAAngband's implementation will be easier to since they are both closer to your port.
EpicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2010, 21:15   #46
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewert View Post
Next LoS trap detection I guess, then fracblows ... and then I might actually play the game a bit too! =P
Hi Ewert - much as I remain slack-jawed with admiration at the speed of your progress, it's quite hard to follow your development intentions. Would you mind writing up a few of your ideas into tickets at trac.rephial.org? (If you don't have a login, takkaria can give you one.) That would make it much easier to, er, track them, alongside what everyone else is working on.

There are already two tickets for level feelings (#50 and #1184), but nothing for clairvoyance. If you put links to the relevant branch of your repo into tickets, we can then close them when the branches are merged into the nightlies' master.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2010, 23:27   #47
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Attempted to compile ewert's git code and ran into problems in cmd4. Has anyone else attempted to compile this?
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2010, 07:00   #48
ewert
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
Attempted to compile ewert's git code and ran into problems in cmd4. Has anyone else attempted to compile this?
Using the ivanilla branch? The master is mostly something I tried to delete but it won't for some reason. :P Prolly due to starting the fork with master branch name.

Mingw32-make -f Makefile.win works on my Windows platform. Note though, birth screen is still broken with takkaria's version with my windows compiled .exe, so don't know if it has some quirk that is different ...
Old October 16, 2010, 07:05   #49
ewert
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Hi Ewert - much as I remain slack-jawed with admiration at the speed of your progress, it's quite hard to follow your development intentions. Would you mind writing up a few of your ideas into tickets at trac.rephial.org? (If you don't have a login, takkaria can give you one.) That would make it much easier to, er, track them, alongside what everyone else is working on.

There are already two tickets for level feelings (#50 and #1184), but nothing for clairvoyance. If you put links to the relevant branch of your repo into tickets, we can then close them when the branches are merged into the nightlies' master.
TL;DR.

Joking. =P

Yeah I think mostly the ivanilla branch at the moment is sort of save-file for myself, not a superuseful tracking branch, as there are sometimes different things within a single commit. I guess I could make a "pushvanilla" branch, and start it from the "virgin" state and do single-thing-single-commit things to it to get it up to same place as my current vanilla, so you could more easily see what is done, how it is done and grab it.

I am trying to keep the readme.txt updated on what I have done in general sense though, and what I'm looking at next.
Old October 16, 2010, 07:16   #50
ewert
Knight

Ahh

http://github.com/ewert/angband/compare/ivanilla

That's a very cool thing, can instantly see all changes compared to original.