Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old June 20, 2011, 11:54   #21
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m View Post
So, the usual pattern is after running "make" you have to copy the executable out of src/ into the parent and run it from there (so that lib/ is the in working directory). Not sure if that's what you did but if not that could be the problem.
It doesn't usually matter where the executable lives, but where it is invoked from. The reference to "src/nppangband" in artes's post looks like how I usually invoke src/angband after building it.

@artes: not being able to create the notes file sounds like it may be a permissions issue? Do you have write access to the directory where it's trying to create it? Did you build it with setgid? Or with PRIVATE_USER_DIR set?
Old August 18, 2011, 02:17   #22
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
NPP 0.5.2

"Looking" at a player ghost, it's name is shortened to the first 3 characters. "You see Van" instead of "You see Vanity Queen". Her full name is displayed on the recall screen.

edit: It gets stranger... see attached message dump.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	van.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	793  

Last edited by buzzkill; August 18, 2011 at 02:24.
buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2011, 02:39   #23
buzzkill
Prophet

NPP 0.5.2 thoughts and comments (as they come to me).

I've said it before (in this thread) and here it is again, the clusters of stairs really do seem very buggy. I get why it's happening, but I stand firm that it needs to be fixed. I'd rather have the V behavior of a staircase in the middle of a room, than have 3 tucked consecutively into a dead end, or wandering a would level in search of any staircase just to finally find seven in one room within 50' of one another. It happens far to frequently to be justified as an aberration.

The in game description of the rogue (in the help files) erroneously states that rogues can set traps using 'p' and modify traps using '+'. As with the brigand, 'o' is the correct keystroke in both cases.

Rogues and brigands seem *very* similar (only rogues can cast a few spells).

I'm fully against rogues being able to cast CLW.

Every once in a while I trigger a trap in a grid that I've previously walked on. Do traps spawn or are PC's able to occasionally bypass them without setting them off?

I want to be able to run through a combination of consecutive grids of the same type of non-native terrain and normal dungeon floor.

{more to come, I'm sure}
Old August 25, 2011, 13:35   #24
nppangband
NPPAngband Maintainer

nppangband is on a distinguished road
AFter I finalize 0.5.3 (a bugfix version), I am going to break savefile compatibility and completely re-do how player ghosts are done. That bug where the name is shortned should hepefully go away at that point.

I am going to work on staircase placement before 0.5.3 is finalized.

Brigands are much stronger at fighting; only slightly weaker than warriors. Rogues get some spells, but are much weaker at fighting. But yes, they are pretty similar. (I didn't know rogues could cast CLW. That much have changed during my break.)

Traps do not spontaneously generate.

Which terrains? We usually interrupt running when the amount of energy to go through them changes, for safety and double-attack reasons. I can check all of the FLOOR terrains and see which ones don't have the RUN flag, and see if there are some inconsistencies.

Thanks. I will try to address these before 0.5.3 is finalized.
nppangband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2011, 14:22   #25
buzzkill
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nppangband View Post
Which terrains? We usually interrupt running when the amount of energy to go through them changes, for safety and double-attack reasons. I can check all of the FLOOR terrains and see which ones don't have the RUN flag, and see if there are some inconsistencies.
Right now it's sand. I frequently encounter sand filled corridors or sand and normal floor interspersed. As an elf, I have to pretty much single step through these areas.
Old August 27, 2011, 15:22   #26
buzzkill
Prophet

Trap doors and recall seem to place you into dead ends (as staircases do), which seems wrong, less so for recall, more so for trap doors which should land you randomly and with a loud 'thump'.

Walls carved by elvish hand illuminate the floor near them, but they don't illuminate themselves as they should. I'd wouldn't mind seeing the illumination extended to 20' either. One grid of illumination is more distracting than useful.

Is there a disconnected stairs option?
Old August 28, 2011, 00:40   #27
nppangband
NPPAngband Maintainer

I do that for safety's sake, because there would be too many instadeaths if the player could sometimes start in the middle of a room.

I will add the disconnected stairs option. Does vanilla have it?
Old August 28, 2011, 06:19   #28
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Yep, and it's generally used for competitions to avoid the issue of stairscumming.
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2011, 11:14   #29
BlackFlame
Rookie

BlackFlame is on a distinguished road
New to NPP (and not an expert at *bands in general):

Is the "Disable shop services" birth option broken (running 0.5.2, that's the current stable release, right?), or am I doing something wrong? I set it to yes during creation, and they're still there. I like a lot of what I've heard about NPP, and maybe I'm not jaded enough by grinding yet, but it feels a little "wrong" to me to just be able to buy some of these things at will. I suppose I could just not use them, but I'm still curious if I'm doing it wrong because other birth options seem to work fine.
BlackFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2011, 15:27   #30
nppangband
NPPAngband Maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFlame View Post
New to NPP (and not an expert at *bands in general):

Is the "Disable shop services" birth option broken (running 0.5.2, that's the current stable release, right?), or am I doing something wrong?
It's broken. Good catch. So is the birth_no_quests option. Both are fixed for the next release.