Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 26, 2011, 21:58   #21
konijn_
Hellband maintainer
 
konijn_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York, the Big Apple
Age: 37
Posts: 346
Donated: $120
konijn_ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by konijn_ View Post
First off, awesome !! Github is what I've been ranting about without being able to put a name or technology on it.

Second off, I forked Angband and it wont compile for Cygwin with .win ( which wants me to use Ming ?? ) , the .std compiles till it hits wiz-stats.c and then dies on this :

wiz-stats.c:1107: error: `for' loop initial declaration used outside C99 mode
wiz-stats.c:1115: error: `for' loop initial declaration used outside C99 mode

And the crapton of warnings... makes my eyes bleed and sigh deeply. Are these warnings only visible in cygwin or do we no longer care about clean compiles ?

T.
As always, when flaming, I find stuff out.
I guess you dont see the warnings because of
-Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-missing-field-initializers -std=c99 -Wdeclaration-after-statement

which is most interesting.

Also, I read the docs which said 'Cygwin is not advised' which stinks for me personally since I need cygwin and Ming and cygwin dont play nice together ( or at least havent played nicely together in the past )

I will reply to myself with anything else of interest.

T.

-or- I could just keep editing this message.

Whoever took care of the Mac Port is a frickin genius !!! It compiles and works beautifully....

T.
__________________
* Are you ready for something else ? Hellband 0.8.7 is out! *

Last edited by konijn_; May 27, 2011 at 01:25.
konijn_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2011, 22:02   #22
konijn_
Hellband maintainer
 
konijn_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York, the Big Apple
Age: 37
Posts: 346
Donated: $120
konijn_ is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb direct <> dirent

Quote:
Originally Posted by takkaria View Post
Actually, it's not just a simple misspelling, because that works absolutely fine when building the game for me. But if it fixes it for you, excellent.
Greetings,

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct.h and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirent.h

I would vote to use dirent.h, since it is posix and direct.h is a c++ header file ?

T.
__________________
* Are you ready for something else ? Hellband 0.8.7 is out! *
konijn_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2011, 05:34   #23
d_m
Angband Devteam member
 
d_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA, USA
Age: 34
Posts: 1,500
d_m is on a distinguished road
Hey Konijn, Good to see you again!

The Windows port is in a weird state, sadly. Right now only one of the active devs uses Windows (Mingw) and everyone else cross-compiles (also with Mingw) and plays the Windows port with WINE. So... support is a bit bad for other situations (Cygwin and MSVC++ for instance) simply because we can't support them very well without using them.

If you haven't already, I would strongly recommend creating yourself a Github account and forking angband, to make it easy to send us patches, suggestsions, features, etc.

If you made a patch to Makefile.win that will allow things to work with Cygwin, that would be great. I haven't had time to fully understand your comment about dirent.h versus direct.h but I will try to. Even though I mostly use Linux I'm trying to improve the Windows port (I just checked in PNG support which was mostly written by Blue Baron but hacked in by me), so please feel free to send me feedback about it.

Thanks!
__________________
linux->xterm->screen->pmacs
d_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2011, 12:51   #24
konijn_
Hellband maintainer
 
konijn_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York, the Big Apple
Age: 37
Posts: 346
Donated: $120
konijn_ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m View Post
Hey Konijn, Good to see you again!

The Windows port is in a weird state, sadly. Right now only one of the active devs uses Windows (Mingw) and everyone else cross-compiles (also with Mingw) and plays the Windows port with WINE. So... support is a bit bad for other situations (Cygwin and MSVC++ for instance) simply because we can't support them very well without using them.

If you haven't already, I would strongly recommend creating yourself a Github account and forking angband, to make it easy to send us patches, suggestsions, features, etc.

If you made a patch to Makefile.win that will allow things to work with Cygwin, that would be great. I haven't had time to fully understand your comment about dirent.h versus direct.h but I will try to. Even though I mostly use Linux I'm trying to improve the Windows port (I just checked in PNG support which was mostly written by Blue Baron but hacked in by me), so please feel free to send me feedback about it.

Thanks!
Greetings, for direct vs dirent, there is an another forum post that discusses that direct.h is not available under cygwin, but dirent.h is. I just downloaded VC Studio 10, so I will try my luck with that.

T.
__________________
* Are you ready for something else ? Hellband 0.8.7 is out! *
konijn_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011, 15:07   #25
Spacebux
Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 231
Spacebux is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by konijn_ View Post
Greetings, for direct vs dirent, there is an another forum post that discusses that direct.h is not available under cygwin, but dirent.h is. I just downloaded VC Studio 10, so I will try my luck with that.

T.
I cropped the offending part of the code from z-file.c and commented out that dirent.h/direct.h part to get past that compilation error. I also brought forward the old make file from 3.2.0. That's how I was able to get the code to compile (using Cygwin, I could not get mingw to compile, actually), yet, the program only runs now from a cygwin prompt. I couldn't get the DLL fixed (haven't attempted it either, I'm NOT a Windoze expert, but I play one on TV).

-SBux-
Spacebux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2011, 22:56   #26
jens
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Göteborg, Sweden
Posts: 348
jens is on a distinguished road
How to commit to GitHub?

I forked angband a while ago, and have been fetching the changes to look at it. Now I felt it was time to start contributing a bit. So, I've made some code changes I'd like to share, but can't get it to work...

This is what I did:
// make sure I have latest version
git fetch upstream
git merge upstream/master

// create my own branch
git branch feelings
git checkout feelings

// code
Edited the file I wanted to edit (using Notepad), copied the folder (to not mess up the Git folder with compilation junk), compiled and tested. OK, everything is working, time to commit.

// commit
git push git@github.com:jenschou/angband.git feelings

// check result
https://github.com/jenschou/angband/commits/feelings


##

So nothing happened, except I created a new branch on the remote repo. I can mention that I also did push master, and tried to change the url of origin so I don't have to write the url each time.

So, how do I manage to commit to my online repo? Which I suppose is a prerequisite to making a pull request...
jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2011, 00:30   #27
d_m
Angband Devteam member
 
d_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA, USA
Age: 34
Posts: 1,500
d_m is on a distinguished road
I'm about to run, so I don't have time to look at what you did. But this is a procedure that I guarantee will work:

Code:
# assuming you have a remote called official (could be upstream or whatever)

git fetch --all
git checkout official/staging
git checkout -b MYNEWBRANCH

#make some changes

git commit -m "look some changes" -a
git push origin MYNEWBRANCH

# go to github and see your new branch with your code changes.
__________________
linux->xterm->screen->pmacs
d_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2011, 11:00   #28
jens
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Göteborg, Sweden
Posts: 348
jens is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m View Post
Code:
git commit -m "look some changes" -a
Yeay, it works! I have now successfully sent a pull request :-)

The thing I had missed was to make my local commit. I had read the start-up tutorials, and there when talking about contributing they only mentioned how to push your commits. I assumed that pushing commits meant commiting as well, but nope.

I tried to enter a better commit message, but I don't know vim, so it seems a bit of a hassle. How do you guys generally do it? Because when checking your commits you don't generally use one liners...
jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2011, 14:44   #29
d_m
Angband Devteam member
 
d_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA, USA
Age: 34
Posts: 1,500
d_m is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jens View Post
Yeay, it works! I have now successfully sent a pull request :-)

The thing I had missed was to make my local commit. I had read the start-up tutorials, and there when talking about contributing they only mentioned how to push your commits. I assumed that pushing commits meant commiting as well, but nope.

I tried to enter a better commit message, but I don't know vim, so it seems a bit of a hassle. How do you guys generally do it? Because when checking your commits you don't generally use one liners...
If you don't want to use vim, you can change which editor gets used by modifying your .bashrc/.profile, and adding something like:

Code:
export EDITOR=emacs
If you are a beginner you could use nano. I like emacs pretty well and other developers like vim.
__________________
linux->xterm->screen->pmacs
d_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2011, 15:00   #30
jens
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Göteborg, Sweden
Posts: 348
jens is on a distinguished road
Neither are very easy to use on Windows... Though I did have Emacs installed in a previous version. Now I know how to insert text, and exit again from vim, and thats all I'll need, so I guess I can keep using it :-)
jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Compiling Angband on MS-DOS Zababa Development 8 May 27, 2011 17:36
Compiling Angband 3.0.9 w/ xcode on OSX Iemortal Vanilla 8 April 16, 2011 16:41
Compiling Z+Angband under Windows Altefcat Variants 8 December 11, 2008 09:44
compiling vanilla angband on msvc++ 9 express hugh Vanilla 6 March 17, 2008 15:49
Trouble compiling angband 3.0.9 on linux RastaRuedi Vanilla 2 August 1, 2007 17:28


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 17:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.