Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > The real world > Idle chatter

Old April 11, 2011, 21:51   #1
Max Stats
Swordsman

Max Stats is on a distinguished road
Favorite Angbanding keyboard?

My current keyboard is a budget model bought through Wal-Mart's website. It is actually quite a nice keyboard, especially for the price, but it is not quite the ideal keyboard for Angband. It is designed to be compact, and so there seem to be subtle differences in certain key locations. I am a touch typist, and I use the roguelike keyset to try to take advantage of this, so these small differences can be noticeable at times. Also, the feel of the keys is not bad, but far from the best.

I like the tactile, mechanical feel of keyboards from way back in the day. The old IBM keyboards were very nice, with lots of feedback, although a keyboard built exactly like that would probably cost a fortune today. I remember the Focus line of keyboards. They had neat gadgets like a built-in calculator and programmable function keys, but what I really liked was the feel of the keys, because they were very similar to the old IBMs. The company doesn't seem to be around anymore, at least not in the searches I have done.

Does anyone have a favorite keyboard they use that seems especially suited to Angband? The ease of doing Alt, Ctrl, and Shift combos with keys, along with good touch typing feel, would qualify a keyboard as ideal. I don't want to break the bank; I wouldn't spend more than $30 on a new keyboard. Suggestions, anyone?
Max Stats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2011, 21:58   #2
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Sounds like you're remembering the old Model M keyboards that IBM used to make, which had a special "clicky" spring mechanism. You can actually buy modern versions of these keyboards (e.g. link). Might be worth checking out, though they are kinda noisy.

Myself, I just use the keyboard that came with my (Apple) computer when I bought it. It's held up well and I'm used to the layout.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2011, 22:39   #3
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Sounds like you're remembering the old Model M keyboards that IBM used to make, which had a special "clicky" spring mechanism. You can actually buy modern versions of these keyboards (e.g. link). Might be worth checking out, though they are kinda noisy.

Myself, I just use the keyboard that came with my (Apple) computer when I bought it. It's held up well and I'm used to the layout.
Derakon, my hero. I have two original IBM PS/2 keyboards from 1984 which are still delightfully noisy, though one of them has a temperamental connector and the other has a dodgy shift key. I was dreading their eventual demise but you have saved me from the hell of quiet typing. Thank you.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2011, 22:59   #4
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

Donated: $10
will_asher is on a distinguished road
that reminds me of this:
http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news...e-commodore-64
The return of the commodore 64

Play DaJAngband:
http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home
will_asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2011, 23:07   #5
camlost
Sangband 1.x Maintainer

camlost is on a distinguished road
Ah, mechanical switch keyboards. Too bad they're expensive

http://www.overclock.net/keyboards/4...ard-guide.html
Old April 12, 2011, 01:27   #6
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_asher View Post
that reminds me of this:
http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news...e-commodore-64
The return of the commodore 64
Uh, I just have to have one of those. Even if it isn't useful.

I just hope that they fit that OS in some sort of chip so that it starts like the original one, Flip the switch and it's on, no waits whatsoever.

It also looks like that has a fan. It needs to be silent. I sick and tired of constant humming wherever I see a computers. I don't care if it is 1/8 of the modern computer speed if it just is silent.

Here is a link to product: http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_C64.aspx

Last edited by Timo Pietilš; April 12, 2011 at 01:45.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2011, 01:36   #7
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
It also looks like that has a fan. It needs to be silent. I sick and tired of constant humming wherever I see a computers. I don't care if it is 1/8 of the modern computer speed if it just is silent.
This is mostly just a matter of build quality, I'm sure. My Mac only spins up its fan to audible levels when it's really chugging hard; if you were to buy a similarly-well-designed Windows box I'm sure it could be just as quiet. You end up paying more, of course, and most people treat computers as commodities these days, so they aren't willing to pay for quality.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2011, 01:56   #8
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
This is mostly just a matter of build quality, I'm sure. My Mac only spins up its fan to audible levels when it's really chugging hard; if you were to buy a similarly-well-designed Windows box I'm sure it could be just as quiet. You end up paying more, of course, and most people treat computers as commodities these days, so they aren't willing to pay for quality.
All desktop Macs I have seen are just as noisy as PC:s. Laptops are nice.

When I say silent I really mean completely silent. We do have one Lenovo desktop mini-tower in work that is so silent that I can't tell if it is on or off without seeing the lights in front of it, but I can't say is it really silent or just silent enough that all the other background humming is just masking the noise it makes.

Next time I walk into PC-store to buy new computer my first requirement is silent, everything else is secondary.
Old April 12, 2011, 04:36   #9
camlost
Sangband 1.x Maintainer

camlost is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
Next time I walk into PC-store to buy new computer my first requirement is silent, everything else is secondary.
Replacing case fans isn't that hard. Of course, a flimsy case with be noisy regardless.
Old April 12, 2011, 06:57   #10
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by camlost View Post
Replacing case fans isn't that hard. Of course, a flimsy case with be noisy regardless.
Problem with "replacing" is that I need them to be removed, not replaced. That leads to overheating.