Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old April 19, 2011, 11:56   #1
dhegler
Adept

dhegler is on a distinguished road
Dwarf Priest RiP

I was having a decent game with my recent dwarf priest after dying a few times in low levels on the nightlies (which I never seemed to do before). However, I get to DL 50 and get the superb feeling. Use !enlighten, see a vault. Cool, I think... Also has purifications and healing, which I needed. Cleared out this infinity sign vault around the exterior. Detected evil, didn't see anything too nasty, a master lich, etc... Had to dig the granite. Voila, greetings Tarrasque! How is that thing NOT evil? Didn't have a chance to do anything, got killed in the turn after I cleared the granite. Talk about serious OOD - I thought he was about 80+. Only had speed +6 since it seems randarts are tough to find speed that is useful (at least for me). I have even been playing "safe", had a stack of -TO, _teleport, and have been making use of fleeing, which I rarely do. Just never got the chance here. Oh well.
dhegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2011, 12:59   #2
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhegler View Post
I was having a decent game with my recent dwarf priest after dying a few times in low levels on the nightlies (which I never seemed to do before). However, I get to DL 50 and get the superb feeling. Use !enlighten, see a vault. Cool, I think... Also has purifications and healing, which I needed. Cleared out this infinity sign vault around the exterior. Detected evil, didn't see anything too nasty, a master lich, etc... Had to dig the granite. Voila, greetings Tarrasque! How is that thing NOT evil? Didn't have a chance to do anything, got killed in the turn after I cleared the granite. Talk about serious OOD - I thought he was about 80+. Only had speed +6 since it seems randarts are tough to find speed that is useful (at least for me). I have even been playing "safe", had a stack of -TO, _teleport, and have been making use of fleeing, which I rarely do. Just never got the chance here. Oh well.
How deep were you? Some monsters in greater vaults are generated as 40 lvl OoD (+ possible OoD checks).
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2011, 15:13   #3
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Speed on randarts is highly variable, and seems to me to be one of the big dictators of how hard your game will be. Sometimes you find it on a bunch of early randarts, sometimes your first source is a ring or standard ego boots.

Shame about the character. Now you know, vaults can hold serious nasties!
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2011, 15:33   #4
Starhawk
Adept

Starhawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Speed on randarts is highly variable, and seems to me to be one of the big dictators of how hard your game will be.

No joke. I'm at +48 base speed in my current randart game and could be higher if I wanted to be. (But I read somewhere on here that I'm at, or over the 'useful' speed cap already.)
Starhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2011, 16:03   #5
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
You start hitting diminishing returns after +26 speed; from that point on each additional point of speed gives you less and less extra energy per game turn. For example, +10 is 2x faster than normal; +20 is 3x faster; +25 is 3.5x faster; +30 is 3.8x faster; +40 is 4.2x faster; +50 is 4.5x faster; +70 is 4.9x faster, and that's where it maxes out. As long as you can get temporarily over +30 speed, no monster in the game can double-move you, and that's the most important thing.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote