Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old December 27, 2007, 20:39   #11
Nick
FAangband maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorgot View Post
How does one enable additional term windows in the linux version? I've been running the windows version in wine because I needed the other windows.
./unangband -mx11 -- -n<number of terms>

is the short answer.
Old December 27, 2007, 20:42   #12
Bandobras
Knight

Bandobras is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arendil View Post
First, "Ignore corpses by default" is just not working. At all.
It works for me. All the time. Which binary? Could you supply some more random details, like a screen dump of the options screen, etc.?

Quote:
Second, dropped items (both by monsters and from inventory) cause "X dissapears from view" message, and become invisible until I step on them.
Only when on grass, or on which kinds of terrain? On grass this is normal (not that I insist on keeping this features).

Quote:
Last, for the moment at least, and not a bug, I really hate that pressing Enter opens a menu of some kind. I use that key as a "more" key, and no, I can't use Space instead.
Perhaps you can make a macro that maps [Enter] to [Space]? Or to [0], which sometimes works the same as [Enter] (e.g. when targetting)?

Quote:
Also maybe that just me, but I really don't like unlockable races.
How do they work? I've never had to unlock anything, so I'm curious...

Quote:
Well, still this variant is one of the best and also most buggy...I guess those two are inevitably tied together......
The price of progress...
Bandobras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2007, 21:11   #13
Arendil
Apprentice

Arendil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandobras
Could you supply some more random details, like a screen dump of the options screen, etc.?
It seems that I can't do an in-game screen dump with any prompt on. At least I don't know how. As for option (Ignore corpses) I set it to "yes". Just to be safe tried also with "no". Same result. Do you think I made this up? I'm using Win98SE if that's of any importance. And latest Unangband 0.6.2-wip7e downloaded an hour or two ago.

Quote:
Only when on grass, or on which kinds of terrain? On grass this is normal (not that I insist on keeping this features).
I actually made a test char and went to Maggot's farm, so I mean grass. Also it seems that dropped items sometimes really dissapear for good.

Quote:
Perhaps you can make a macro that maps [Enter] to [Space]? Or to [0], which sometimes works the same as [Enter] (e.g. when targetting)?
I'm not sure I understand. The only Enter I can use for this game is on numerical part of keyboard. If I can bind it to work as a Space, then perhaps this is a solution of some kind...

Quote:
How do they work? I've never had to unlock anything, so I'm curious...
I have no idea. But from this thread, and looking into "p_race.txt" I can see that there are many more races to play than those few that appear on starting screen when first running this game. (i.e. "Man of Bree", "Wood-Elf", "Hobbit", "Dwarf", "Dunadan", "High-Elf", "Maia", "Man of Dale/Rohan/Gondor"). Where are "Ents", "Trolls", Giants" and all the rest defined in above file?
Arendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2007, 21:39   #14
Bandobras
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arendil View Post
It seems that I can't do an in-game screen dump with any prompt on. At least I don't know how. As for option (Ignore corpses) I set it to "yes". Just to be safe tried also with "no". Same result.
OK, no screen dump needed, then. You are the first to report this bug. I'll put it on the bug tracker and we'll try to find ways of reproducing it. Was it a fresh install? A fresh savefile? Fresh preferences directory (it's at ~/.angband/UnAngband on Linux, no clue where on Windows)? Did it ask you about laptop keys, familiarity with Un, etc?

Quote:
Do you think I made this up?
Well, if we didn't make errors there wouldn't be bugs in Un, so do you blame me for assuming others may misinterpret their experiences, too? But from the details you provide now, you seem to know where the rear end of monitor is... ;D

Quote:
I'm using Win98SE if that's of any importance.
It may be. I wonder if any other Windows or Win98 users experience such problems? If so, perhaps the Windows code needs a look...

Quote:
I actually made a test char and went to Maggot's farm, so I mean grass. Also it seems that dropped items sometimes really dissapear for good.
I hope not. They drop up to 2 squares away in grass, I think. If they really disappear, please tell us again.

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand. The only Enter I can use for this game is on numerical part of keyboard.
Oh, even better. Go into @ menu and bind the keypad enter to space, via keymap or macro (it's quite self-explanatory, I hope it'll work). If [Enter] is needed during the game, just use the normal enter.

Quote:
I have no idea. But from this thread, and looking into "p_race.txt" I can see that there are many more races to play than those few that appear on starting screen when first running this game. (i.e. "Man of Bree", "Wood-Elf", "Hobbit", "Dwarf", "Dunadan", "High-Elf", "Maia", "Man of Dale/Rohan/Gondor"). Where are "Ents", "Trolls", Giants" and all the rest defined in above file?
Oh, I see now. Probably you get less races when you admit you have little experience with Un. Lie to the game and you'll get them all, I think. I guess any unlockable things are still a TODO item, though documentation is ahead of the actual coding. But I may be mistaken --- Un is misterious and suprises even most rabid fans.
Old December 28, 2007, 01:44   #15
andrewdoull
Unangband maintainer

andrewdoull is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandobras View Post
Oh, I see now. Probably you get less races when you admit you have little experience with Un. Lie to the game and you'll get them all, I think. I guess any unlockable things are still a TODO item, though documentation is ahead of the actual coding. But I may be mistaken --- Un is misterious and suprises even most rabid fans.
Unlockable races are in - you can unlock them. What is missing is the documentation when you do, telling you the abilities of the race you unlocked.

Andrew
Unangband: http://unangband.blogspot.com
andrewdoull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2007, 05:16   #16
thorgot
Apprentice

thorgot is on a distinguished road
I'm having the same problem with ignoring corpses. This started happening when I updated to (the windows version of) .627e, and continued when I just switched to the linux version. The character file is quite old. I'll see if it is fixed with a new character file.

Quote:
Quote:
I didn't realize "or you can treat the symptoms" meant the disease would be cured if I treated all the symptoms.
Any suggestions to make this clearer?
It's one of those things which is very obvious to some people but not to others, and seems like it should have been obvious to me now that I've experienced it. If you want to make it clearer, changing it to something like "or you can cure it by treating the symptoms" would work.
thorgot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2007, 12:02   #17
Bandobras
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoull View Post
Unlockable races are in - you can unlock them.
Well, then I report a bug: for me the races are always unlocked --- they are greyed out, but I can always choose them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorgot View Post
I'm having the same problem with ignoring corpses.
Hmm, even on Linux? You mean, you have to answer y/n every time you walk over them? If so, could you attach a savefile?
Old December 28, 2007, 15:59   #18
thorgot
Apprentice

thorgot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Well, then I report a bug: for me the races are always unlocked --- they are greyed out, but I can always choose them.

Hmm, even on Linux? You mean, you have to answer y/n every time you walk over them? If so, could you attach a savefile?
Here you go.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Lucas_XXI.zip (25.1 KB, 106 views)
thorgot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2007, 18:25   #19
Orillian
Scout

Orillian is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure what races are supposed to be locked. I see a full list of white named races to pick from no greyed out ones and they are all selectable.

Windows port latest binary release. Running under Vista.

O.
Orillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2007, 18:43   #20
andrewdoull
Unangband maintainer

andrewdoull is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Do you have birth_advanced to yes? If so, they're all unlocked...

Andrew
Unangband: http://unangband.blogspot.com
andrewdoull is offline   Reply With Quote