Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old May 24, 2011, 23:54   #1
Tobias
Adept

Tobias is on a distinguished road
Some thoughts on Monster Memory

I recently reinstalled my computer, and now have to play with empty monster memory again. This gave me some thoughts:

Maybe cheat_know should be a birth option instead. Additionally there might be an option for no ancestor recall, where you start your character with an empty monster memory.

This way the usefulness of -Probing stops depending on the last time you reinstalled. And while we are talking about them, why don't they find out breath damage?

On a related note, I am also a bit annoyed that I can't define autoinscriptions for the items I hadn't seen officially yet.
Old May 25, 2011, 00:15   #2
Spacebux
Adept

Spacebux is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
I recently reinstalled my computer, and now have to play with empty monster memory again. This gave me some thoughts:

This way the usefulness of -Probing stops depending on the last time you reinstalled. And while we are talking about them, why don't they find out breath damage?
Hey Tobias,

You can just start with a new savefile if you want to wipe monster memory for your next character.

Relatedly, I think it would be a nice FEATURE if monster memory were EDIT-able to some extent by players. I.e., sometimes you may want to augment information you know to be of value to you in future iterations.

-SBux-
Spacebux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 00:34   #3
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacebux View Post
Hey Tobias,

You can just start with a new savefile if you want to wipe monster memory for your next character.

Relatedly, I think it would be a nice FEATURE if monster memory were EDIT-able to some extent by players. I.e., sometimes you may want to augment information you know to be of value to you in future iterations.

-SBux-
There have long been plans to separate monster memory out from the savefile, so that it is built up over the lives of all your characters, and doesn't disappear if you lose a particular savefile.

Nobody has suggested editing it before (to my knowledge) - that's interesting, and possible once it lives in its own file (though not trivial).

The cheat options will all be removed at some point and put into wizard mode, but you are right that knowing the monster info could be a birth option instead.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 15:42   #4
Tobias
Adept

[QUOTE]Relatedly, I think it would be a nice FEATURE if monster memory were EDIT-able to some extent by players. I.e., sometimes you may want to augment information you know to be of value to you in future iterations.[\QUOTE]
You can already edit the monster description in the edit files. That is, the flavour description.

This reminds me, I would find it usefull sometimes to place the flavour text at the bottom of the monster recall text. This way big M's description fits in all windows, without losing something important.

Maybe there could be an ancestor memory, in the score file, seperate from the character memory. This way you could chose to start with either empty, ancestor of full recall.
Old May 25, 2011, 16:15   #5
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
The monster memory could generally benefit from a non-sentence-based layout. There've been some mockups made of grid-layout item recall, and something similar would do nicely for monster recall as well.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 16:56   #6
Tobias
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
The monster memory could generally benefit from a non-sentence-based layout. There've been some mockups made of grid-layout item recall, and something similar would do nicely for monster recall as well.
The sentenced based layout is great for flavor, and with the color coding it is quite easy to read. So I am somewhat unsure about a change like this, especially how the flavor text fits in.

The lack of flavor is already the reason why I usually play without randarts.
Old May 25, 2011, 16:58   #7
jens
Swordsman

jens is on a distinguished road
Quote:
That I would love! It sure is a hassle checking the monster memory for something specific for a situation, like: can this monster open doors, or pick up items, etc.
jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 17:15   #8
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
The sentenced based layout is great for flavor, and with the color coding it is quite easy to read. So I am somewhat unsure about a change like this, especially how the flavor text fits in.
The flavor text would of course still have its own short paragraph somewhere in the display. Everything else that is currently shown as a bunch of sentences is really just a listing of various values and strings. Is there that much of a difference, flavor-wise, between
Code:
It can breathe fire(1600), cold(1600), nether(550), nexus(400), and disenchantment(400)
and
Code:
Breathes:
Fire           1600
Cold           1600
Nether         550
Nexus          400
Disenchantment 400
?
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 18:37   #9
Tobias
Adept

[QUOTE=Derakon;53319]Everything else that is currently shown as a bunch of sentences is really just a listing of various values and strings. Is there that much of a difference, flavor-wise, between..[\QUOTE]

mmm, the second layout looks like it wouldn't fit into the way I have my layout set up right now. But you are right, mostly. A table based display might also be harder to read for a beginner. We would need to test it.

And also, would it even make sense to segregate breath and magic, it is useless from a pure gameplay perspective that way. Rather:
Code:
                Melee                  Distance         Resist
Physical      4d4+5d5+6d6       1d4                50
Magic                                  500                yes
Fire            3d3                    1600              yes
But when I think about it I can't think of a reasonable efficient layout that wouldn't be empty for most monsters. And if the layout changes from monster to monster than there is really no advantage over sentences.
So if there isn't a quite good layout, I don't support change to tables.
Old May 25, 2011, 21:36   #10
Max Stats
Swordsman

Max Stats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The flavor text would of course still have its own short paragraph somewhere in the display. Everything else that is currently shown as a bunch of sentences is really just a listing of various values and strings. Is there that much of a difference, flavor-wise, between
Code:
It can breathe fire(1600), cold(1600), nether(550), nexus(400), and disenchantment(400)
and
Code:
Breathes:
Fire           1600
Cold           1600
Nether         550
Nexus          400
Disenchantment 400
?
This could be an improvement. I would like to also add that it would be nice if monster recall told you, in addition to what a monster resists, what elements you have determined are effective against a monster. Right now, the absence of an element being mentioned among a monster's resistances can mean either that the monster is susceptible to that element or that you haven't tried using that element on the monster. Currently, there is no way to know which is the case, unless you can remember or reason it out yourself.

This could be added to this layout in a similar way:

Code:
Acid: Resists
Fire: Unknown
Cold: Susceptible
Elec: Susceptible
Pois: Unknown
Or whatever makes sense.
Max Stats is offline   Reply With Quote