AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old June 25, 2011, 16:42   #1
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Teleport Level breaks game balance

I put this in the dev forum as it's a widespread problem not specific to V or any particular variant.

Stacks of teleport level completely break game balance. They are not uncommon in town, and at a ridiculously low price considering their functionality. At almost any point in the game given the choice of having only one to choose from, a scroll of tele level (100 GP) or a useful stat potion (5000+ GP), I'd take tele level every time. I strongly feel these should NOT be sold in stores, not even the BM, and certainly not in stacks and certainly not at the current, absurdly low price.

More than any other item I can think of, a tele level is akin to an extra life. It should be both rare and expensive.
Old June 25, 2011, 20:06   #2
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
I put this in the dev forum as it's a widespread problem not specific to V or any particular variant.

Stacks of teleport level completely break game balance. They are not uncommon in town, and at a ridiculously low price considering their functionality. At almost any point in the game given the choice of having only one to choose from, a scroll of tele level (100 GP) or a useful stat potion (5000+ GP), I'd take tele level every time. I strongly feel these should NOT be sold in stores, not even the BM, and certainly not in stacks and certainly not at the current, absurdly low price.

More than any other item I can think of, a tele level is akin to an extra life. It should be both rare and expensive.
I would be fine with this, but in exchange i'd demand ?teleport be sold in the alchemist.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2011, 20:23   #3
jens
Swordsman

jens is on a distinguished road
I guess people have different tastes... I guess that ?TL is really good, but I usually don't want to leave the level I am on, so I prefer to us ?T. So much so that I usually don't even bother to collect ?TL. I'd say both are too good to sell other than at BM.
jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2011, 21:15   #4
Zyphyr
Adept

Zyphyr is on a distinguished road
Do you also want to remove it from spell books? Or is it primarily a 'screw the warriors' proposal?
Zyphyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2011, 22:51   #5
Zikke
Veteran

Zikke is on a distinguished road
I always squelch ?TeleportLevel in every game I play, and don't cast the spell. I try not to cast Create Stairs either, which is even more cheesy, imo.
Zikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2011, 23:11   #6
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyphyr View Post
Do you also want to remove it from spell books? Or is it primarily a 'screw the warriors' proposal?
I must not play a lot of mages, cause I never think about things, such as TL, being available in spellbooks. My focus is on the stores selling stacks of 20+ TL.

Presumably, if you can cast it from a book, you've earned the right to cast it. That come with a mana cost and a failure rate that I'm unfamiliar with, but could certainly be adjusted if it's out of whack. IMO that's a slightly different problem.

My main gripe is that a level 10 character, a newb, a novice, can stumble in whichever store happens to sell TL scrolls in whatever variant you happen to play and buy ~10 of 'em for about ~1000 GP, and become pretty much immortal. He can then pursue insane power diving and take suicidal risks (in search of more game breaking gear) until his supply of TL runs out. It hard to balance the game around such things.

I'm not saying remove TL form the game. I love TL. Just make it special, like the other deep scrolls that can save your life in a pinch.

@Zikke: I agree that create stairs is every bit as screwy, but one can't buy a gross of 'create stairs' (or any at all) at the magic shop.
Old June 26, 2011, 00:55   #7
Tobias
Adept

Tobias is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
I must not play a lot of mages, cause I never think about things, such as TL, being available in spellbooks. My focus is on the stores selling stacks of 20+ TL.

Presumably, if you can cast it from a book, you've earned the right to cast it. That come with a mana cost and a failure rate that I'm unfamiliar with, but could certainly be adjusted if it's out of whack. IMO that's a slightly different problem.

My main gripe is that a level 10 character, a newb, a novice, can stumble in whichever store happens to sell TL scrolls in whatever variant you happen to play and buy ~10 of 'em for about ~1000 GP, and become pretty much immortal. He can then pursue insane power diving and take suicidal risks (in search of more game breaking gear) until his supply of TL runs out. It hard to balance the game around such things.

I'm not saying remove TL form the game. I love TL. Just make it special, like the other deep scrolls that can save your life in a pinch.

@Zikke: I agree that create stairs is every bit as screwy, but one can't buy a gross of 'create stairs' (or any at all) at the magic shop.
I almost never use and never carry ?Tlevel. I prefer normal _Tp.
I also don't relay on scrolls, you can't read when you are confused or blinded after all. So you have to earn the right to use scrolls for escaping, by getting the right resists

Last edited by Tobias; June 26, 2011 at 11:51.
Tobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2011, 00:56   #8
Antoine
Ironband/Quickband Maintainer

Antoine is on a distinguished road
I took ?Teleport Level out of the stores in Quickband for exactly this reason.

A.
Old June 26, 2011, 01:04   #9
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Just keep in mind that Teleport Level is by no means a panacea. I routinely find that when I'm in dire enough straits to need to use it once, I have to use it at least another time because the first time dumped me into a situation that I can't handle in my weakened state (e.g. pack of hounds in LOS, adjacent to a nasty pit, etc.).

That said, I wouldn't especially mind it being less common and/or more expensive. I do buy all the scrolls of it I see in the BM.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2011, 21:25   #10
dos350
Swordsman

dos350 is on a distinguished road
excuse me, i dont see wat the hype is..

if u think ?tele lvl is pro leet, try ?detect treasure and a staircase,

please~ no rage!

also, deep decent >

Reality hits you -more-

S+++++++++++++++++++
dos350 is offline   Reply With Quote