Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old July 11, 2011, 20:41   #11
CJNyfalt
Swordsman

CJNyfalt is on a distinguished road
Suggestions:
- Anthill as a beginner pit.
- Eye pit. A room full of eyes, creepy.
- Birds nest. Directed by Alfred Hitchcock.
CJNyfalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2011, 21:00   #12
Nomad
Swordsman

Nomad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJNyfalt View Post
Suggestions:
- Anthill as a beginner pit.
- Eye pit. A room full of eyes, creepy.
- Birds nest. Directed by Alfred Hitchcock.
I did try an ants' nest. Trouble is, some of them have the 'trample weaker monsters' ability, so by the time I actually got to the nest, there weren't very many ants left inside it. I also tested both bat and bird pits; they worked well enough, but I thought they were a bit boring to clear.

Eyes could be an interesting experiment though. Eh, why not: version three, now with completely untested eye pits! I have no idea how those will turn out, so I've stuck 'em at level 30 for the moment. Undead beholders and hive mothers are excluded, but you might get ordinary beholders in there.
Attached Files
File Type: zip new_pits_v3.zip (1.9 KB, 41 views)
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2011, 21:20   #13
Nomad
Swordsman

Nomad is on a distinguished road
Okay, I scummed for an eye pit, and they seem like they could be quite fun. All the eyes that can actually move end up stuck in the middle behind a wall of non-moving ones, but they can still cast spells from there. The gauths do have a tendency to wipe out the weaker eyes with cold balls, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing, because it means they can free themselves and the beholders to come after you. I think eye pits have potential.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2011, 21:46   #14
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
Okay, I scummed for an eye pit, and they seem like they could be quite fun. All the eyes that can actually move end up stuck in the middle behind a wall of non-moving ones, but they can still cast spells from there. The gauths do have a tendency to wipe out the weaker eyes with cold balls, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing, because it means they can free themselves and the beholders to come after you. I think eye pits have potential.
I think these new pits sound fantastic, and I'm seriously considering delaying 3.3 to include them ... ;-) .... but you were right in your other post - they will need significant playtesting. Ho hum. I promise they'll be in the first nightly after release.
Old July 11, 2011, 21:50   #15
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I did try an ants' nest. Trouble is, some of them have the 'trample weaker monsters' ability, so by the time I actually got to the nest, there weren't very many ants left inside it. I also tested both bat and bird pits; they worked well enough, but I thought they were a bit boring to clear.
That's pretty much what happens with horned reapers in Demon Pits.

You're right that lots of ants have KILL_BODY though, so it would be worse.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2011, 22:13   #16
JohnCW9
Adept

JohnCW9 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So, I've had a go at designing some new types of pits and nests to add a bit of variety to the first half of the dungeon. The attached zip file has the amended pits.txt and limits.txt files if anyone wants to give them a try.

Playtesting and feedback would be much appreciated: too shallow, too deep, too much or too little reward for the risk level? I've been stair-scumming a lot in my test games to find the things, so the figures I've chosen for the average depths are a bit of a shot in the dark.

There are four new types of pit added:

* DL 15 - Kobolds
* DL 20 - Spellcasters (apprentices and kobold/orc/dark elf mages)
* DL 25 - Naga
* DL 30 - Dark elves

And four types of nests:

* DL 30 - Creepy crawlies (centipedes, killer beetles, spiders excluding phase/drider/aranea)
* DL 40 - Minor demons (excluding bodaks and death quasits)
* DL 50 - Serpents (snakes, naga, low-end hydra)
* DL 55 - Lesser undead (skeletons, zombies, low-end wraiths)

I think I corrected for the more bizarre results I got in testing, but if any monsters show up that seem like they shouldn't have been included, let me know.
I have seen what are called clone pits which say be of priest of all kinds or maybe a single chairter or Money pits
JohnCW9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2011, 23:24   #17
Antoine
Ironband/Quickband Maintainer

Antoine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
That's pretty much what happens with horned reapers in Demon Pits.
hey, how about we take horned reapers out of demon pits?

A.
Old July 11, 2011, 23:46   #18
CunningGabe
Swordsman

CunningGabe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoine View Post
hey, how about we take horned reapers out of demon pits?

A.
If people think that's a good idea, it can be accomplished by adding "s:HASTE" to the major demon pit. This forbids any major demon that can cast HASTE, and the Horned Reaper is the only one.

As far as Quylthulgs and animal pits: would anyone care if Quylthulgs just weren't animals anymore?
CunningGabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2011, 23:52   #19
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CunningGabe View Post
If people think that's a good idea, it can be accomplished by adding "s:HASTE" to the major demon pit. This forbids any major demon that can cast HASTE, and the Horned Reaper is the only one.

As far as Quylthulgs and animal pits: would anyone care if Quylthulgs just weren't animals anymore?
It makes more sense to use s:KILL_BODY since that's the problem with Horned Reapers.

I've lobbied for removing ANIMAL flags from Qs for awhile. I think there might be enough support for it now.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2011, 23:54   #20
CunningGabe
Swordsman

CunningGabe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
It makes more sense to use s:KILL_BODY since that's the problem with Horned Reapers.
It does make more sense, but it doesn't work currently -- s is for forbidden spell flags, not forbidden monster flags. But it would be easy to add the capability to forbid monster flags. I'll do that soon.
CunningGabe is offline   Reply With Quote