Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 13, 2011, 06:02   #1
Zikke
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,020
Zikke is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Champion monsters?

Has anybody mentioned the idea of adding Champion monsters to the game? They are non-unique monsters that are much beefier than their normal versions, but not as beefy as uniques, with improved loot.

In games like Diablo, the system would roll to see if any specific monster spawn would be upgraded to a Champion (and they would have a few escorts). It added a lot of great depth to the game; the excitement of finding a boss-like monster but not one of the named special monsters. Adds a bit more variety to the dungeons, since the uniques aren't common for much of the game, and then eventually get killed off leaving only boring normal monsters. Diablo also increased the chance of getting a Champion based on difficulty level, but here it would probably be based on depth or number of uniques slain.
__________________
A(3.1.0b) CWS "Fyren_V" NEW L:50 DL:127 A++ R+++ Sp+ w:The Great Axe of Eonwe
A/FA W H- D c-- !f PV+++ s? d P++ M+
C- S+ I- !So B ac++ GHB? SQ? !RQ V F:
Zikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2011, 06:31   #2
camlost
Sangband 1.x Maintainer
 
camlost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 521
camlost is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zikke View Post
Has anybody mentioned the idea of adding Champion monsters to the game? They are non-unique monsters that are much beefier than their normal versions, but not as beefy as uniques, with improved loot.

In games like Diablo, the system would roll to see if any specific monster spawn would be upgraded to a Champion (and they would have a few escorts). It added a lot of great depth to the game; the excitement of finding a boss-like monster but not one of the named special monsters. Adds a bit more variety to the dungeons, since the uniques aren't common for much of the game, and then eventually get killed off leaving only boring normal monsters. Diablo also increased the chance of getting a Champion based on difficulty level, but here it would probably be based on depth or number of uniques slain.
I know at least one person who was thinking about random uniques, but that was a long time ago.

Player Ghosts serve a somewhat similar function.
__________________
a chunk of Bronze {These look tastier than they are. !E}
3 blank Parchments (Vellum) {No french novels please.}
camlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2011, 06:49   #3
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,974
Derakon is on a distinguished road
I'd rather have player ghosts than champions. In fact you could extend the player ghost concept to having other adventurers (pre- or post-death) that you could fight.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2011, 07:15   #4
Djabanete
Knight
 
Djabanete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 524
Djabanete is on a distinguished road
Player ghosts and champion monsters, oh my!

Yes please.
Djabanete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2011, 08:53   #5
Remuz
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 77
Remuz is on a distinguished road
I do not really like the idea of having my past characters influence my experience of the game. For example, this basically would mean that I would not get the same game if I played on another computer. I am not too fond of the idea, personnally.

Champions on the other hand? Yes please! Their number might increase when the number of living unique decrease. After all, with management gone, it is only natural that some other guys would step up to take their place and try to become the "next uniques".

This seems variant materiel to me, though.
Remuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2011, 11:14   #6
jens
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Göteborg, Sweden
Posts: 348
jens is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remuz View Post
I do not really like the idea of having my past characters influence my experience of the game. For example, this basically would mean that I would not get the same game if I played on another computer. I am not too fond of the idea, personnally.
I agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remuz View Post
Champions on the other hand? Yes please! Their number might increase when the number of living unique decrease. After all, with management gone, it is only natural that some other guys would step up to take their place and try to become the "next uniques".
I agree, and I've always felt that the wimpy low level monsters should have a hard time surviving deeper in the dungeon, but if they have a strong leader with them it would make more sense :-) That also implies that the more a monster is removed from it's original depth, the higher the probability of becoming a champion.

Should all races be champion material? Only races with FREINDS? Create a new flag: CHAMPION -> if created deeper than normal, have a chance of being buffed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remuz View Post
This seems variant materiel to me, though.
Not to me :-)
jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2011, 12:57   #7
Magnate
Angband Devteam member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 5,003
Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
It was d_m who was keen to implement what he called "random uniques", which is another angle on champion monsters. But his to-do list for 3.4 is pretty long, so don't hold your breath.

In other news, CunningGabe has decided to work on bringing back player ghosts for 3.4 - yippee! (Personally I never understood why they were removed.)
__________________
"3.4 is much better than 3.1, 3.2 or 3.3. It still is easier than 3.0.9, but it is more convenient to play without being ridiculously easy, so it is my new favorite of the versions." - Timo Pietila
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2011, 14:00   #8
buzzkill
Prophet
 
buzzkill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 2,910
Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
I always thought it would be fun if the enemy who offed your character was given a bump up to minor-unique status and allowed to reappear to challenge subsequent characters, if for no other reason so that you can seek your revenge upon it. I like player ghosts, but feel that killing the monster that created the ghost would be more fun. Perhaps avenging a dead ancestor could free his soul, and bestow you a blessing in the process.
__________________
www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.
buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2011, 14:30   #9
Nick
FAangband maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 49
Posts: 4,393
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
I always thought it would be fun if the enemy who offed your character was given a bump up to minor-unique status and allowed to reappear to challenge subsequent characters, if for no other reason so that you can seek your revenge upon it. I like player ghosts, but feel that killing the monster that created the ghost would be more fun. Perhaps avenging a dead ancestor could free his soul, and bestow you a blessing in the process.
That's a really cool idea.
__________________
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2011, 15:33   #10
d_m
Angband Devteam member
 
d_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA, USA
Age: 34
Posts: 1,500
d_m is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
I always thought it would be fun if the enemy who offed your character was given a bump up to minor-unique status and allowed to reappear to challenge subsequent characters, if for no other reason so that you can seek your revenge upon it. I like player ghosts, but feel that killing the monster that created the ghost would be more fun. Perhaps avenging a dead ancestor could free his soul, and bestow you a blessing in the process.
That is a really cool idea.
__________________
linux->xterm->screen->pmacs
d_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Deep monsters fizzix Vanilla 29 July 13, 2011 18:25
Knowledge - monsters Raggy Vanilla 2 June 22, 2011 13:08
New monsters Derakon Vanilla 30 November 11, 2010 00:01
Too much junk or too many monsters? Donald Jonker Vanilla 4 April 24, 2009 11:33
Should any monsters be changed for 3.1.0? Skyknight Vanilla 6 June 16, 2008 16:35


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 13:55.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.