Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 20, 2011, 03:18   #1
Jungle_Boy
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 434
Jungle_Boy is on a distinguished road
Monster fear

Were ny changes made to monster fear recently? It seems when monsters get afraid they stay afraid longer now. Specifically I noticed this with an Umber Hulk and Adunaphel the Quiet. I literally chased that umber hulk in multiple complete circles of the entire level and he never stopped being afraid. Adunaphel I got down to one or two stars and he got afraid and hid in the rock and never came out again while I cleared the whole level. He was at 7 stars when I gave up and left but he was still showing as afraid. This is in the August 15th nightly
__________________
My first winner: http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=10138
Jungle_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2011, 08:08   #2
Magnate
Angband Devteam member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 5,057
Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle_Boy View Post
Were ny changes made to monster fear recently? It seems when monsters get afraid they stay afraid longer now. Specifically I noticed this with an Umber Hulk and Adunaphel the Quiet. I literally chased that umber hulk in multiple complete circles of the entire level and he never stopped being afraid. Adunaphel I got down to one or two stars and he got afraid and hid in the rock and never came out again while I cleared the whole level. He was at 7 stars when I gave up and left but he was still showing as afraid. This is in the August 15th nightly
Thanks for the report - I don't think this was a conscious change, but may be a side effect of some refactoring of the mon_timed code.
__________________
"3.4 is much better than 3.1, 3.2 or 3.3. It still is easier than 3.0.9, but it is more convenient to play without being ridiculously easy, so it is my new favorite of the versions." - Timo Pietila
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2011, 15:59   #3
Nomad
Knight
 
Nomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: England
Posts: 958
Nomad is on a distinguished road
I've just encountered this same issue, also with an Umber hulk. Not sure it happens every time, but I was able to replicate the effect by zapping another hulk with a wand of scare monster.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2011, 16:08   #4
Magnate
Angband Devteam member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 5,057
Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
I've just encountered this same issue, also with an Umber hulk. Not sure it happens every time, but I was able to replicate the effect by zapping another hulk with a wand of scare monster.
I find it hard to believe that it's specific to umber hulks (though that wouldn't be the strangest quirk in the code). Let's see if it be replicated on orcs or trolls or whatever.
__________________
"3.4 is much better than 3.1, 3.2 or 3.3. It still is easier than 3.0.9, but it is more convenient to play without being ridiculously easy, so it is my new favorite of the versions." - Timo Pietila
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2011, 16:31   #5
Nomad
Knight
 
Nomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: England
Posts: 958
Nomad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
I find it hard to believe that it's specific to umber hulks (though that wouldn't be the strangest quirk in the code). Let's see if it be replicated on orcs or trolls or whatever.
I think the hulks are just the most visible because you can't trap them in a corner and kill them. After zapping a few random monsters I came across, it does affect others, but it seems to be intermittent: a Forest troll recovered as normal, but a Vampire lord stayed afraid even after I rested 9999 turns; 9-headed hydra stayed afraid, Stegocentipede recovered.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2011, 16:59   #6
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Climbing up from hole I just dug.
Posts: 4,096
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
I think the hulks are just the most visible because you can't trap them in a corner and kill them. After zapping a few random monsters I came across, it does affect others, but it seems to be intermittent: a Forest troll recovered as normal, but a Vampire lord stayed afraid even after I rested 9999 turns; 9-headed hydra stayed afraid, Stegocentipede recovered.
Sounds like higher the level they are afraid longer. Kind of opposite that it should be. Some logic error somewhere?
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2011, 17:06   #7
CunningGabe
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 250
CunningGabe is on a distinguished road
I think I see the problem -- I had put in a check to prevent overflow, but ended up in most cases setting the fear or whichever effect to its maximum amount instead. I'll push a fix shortly!

EDIT: by the way, the weirdness of which monsters recovered probably has to do with the fact that if a monster is afraid and it has no valid moves, then it becomes unafraid.
CunningGabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[3.3.0] Mimics and fear Atanvarno Vanilla 2 August 12, 2011 01:36
bug 3.2.0 - fear Tibarius Vanilla 4 July 16, 2011 10:45
r1500 fear bug miyazaki Vanilla 3 July 22, 2009 19:06
Fear!!!! slashme Vanilla 22 January 8, 2009 08:14
[FA] Not dead but big fear chris28 AAR 9 June 29, 2008 17:09


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.