Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old September 18, 2011, 23:15   #1
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
3.3.1 Release Candidate available

Hi all,

We're quite close to releasing 3.3.1 now. It looks as if 3.3.0 is the first of the 3.x.0 series to ship with no major bugs for a long time (3.1.0 had the heavy curse bug, and 3.2.0 had everyone drowning in leather boots). But there are a dozen or so fixes and tweaks that should make it a better game.

The release candidate is available for Windows and OSX at http://buildbot.rephial.org/builds/3...se/builds.html. Linux users will need to roll their own using git as described in this thread.

There is one major known bug in this RC - please see this thread for details. If you find any other bugs or oddness, please post in this thread (to keep them separate from bugs in 3.4-dev versions).

Grateful for as much testing as possible, because I'm keen to avoid Nick scoring yet another point off me by announcing a 3.3.1 comp before it's ready ...
Old September 19, 2011, 01:52   #2
Malak Darkhunter
Knight

Malak Darkhunter is on a distinguished road
I have noticed from time to time that new characters sometimes start with 600 gold but no equipment, has happend twice out of about 10 characters drawn up, but don't know if its something in the options i'm changing or just a bug.

I have also noticed that crossbows are very rare in the early game, and aren't usually generated in stores that often, I currently have a half-troll warrior at level 30 and haven't come across a crossbow yet. Would appreciate crossbows in store at game begining. other launchers and are findable in the early levels of the game, but I haven't seen them much in stores either. there are melee weapons applenty but not much choice for missle weapons in the store. This is the september 14th build.
Old September 19, 2011, 02:08   #3
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
If you have no-selling on, or you choose the "start with money but no gear" option, then you'll start with more money and no gear.

Otherwise, your starting equipment is debited from the 600AU you'd "normally" start with.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2011, 02:43   #4
Malak Darkhunter
Knight

Malak Darkhunter is on a distinguished road
That explains it- thanks!
Old September 19, 2011, 12:28   #5
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
I don't think the absence of crossbows from the early game is a problem. If everything was available at the start, there'd be no sense of progress. I think it's a positive thing that finding an unenchanted crossbow can be a little "ooh" moment, if it's an improvement on your existing launcher. In fact I think longbows should also be unavailable at the start for this very reason - but of course the ranger lobby wouldn't like that ;-)
Old September 19, 2011, 16:07   #6
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
I don't think the absence of crossbows from the early game is a problem. If everything was available at the start, there'd be no sense of progress. I think it's a positive thing that finding an unenchanted crossbow can be a little "ooh" moment, if it's an improvement on your existing launcher. In fact I think longbows should also be unavailable at the start for this very reason - but of course the ranger lobby wouldn't like that ;-)
The problem is that enchant scrolls are still too common. If you remove them *entirely*, then finding an early +2+2 shortbow is interesting even if you give the player access to unenchanted longbows and crossbows from the start.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2011, 16:14   #7
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
The problem is that enchant scrolls are still too common. If you remove them *entirely*, then finding an early +2+2 shortbow is interesting even if you give the player access to unenchanted longbows and crossbows from the start.
Hmmm, that's interesting. Time to query the stats db - my instinct was that the vast majority of enchant scrolls came from the shops, but if you're right then it should be easy enough to make them rarer. Thanks for the tip.
Old September 19, 2011, 16:36   #8
redrobert
Scout

redrobert is on a distinguished road
another possibilty would be crossbows with a damage multiplier of x2 making available early on. they can also be unhandy und heavy.

longbows making available later is an interesting thought in my opinion

as exchange you could make a few throwing weapons available

i would delete the enchant weapon scrolls from all shops except black market and making them rarer in the dungeon, especially early on

just a few thoughts, might not be the best ideas, but it is a forum so i thought i might drop a few lines
redrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2011, 17:46   #9
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I will grant I haven't played for a month or so, but in my experience enchant scrolls are sufficiently rare that I've completely discounted them from my strategy. I have often found myself having to decide between an un- (or under-) enchanted launcher with a high multiplier and an enchanted one with a low multiplier. Certainly it's not worth the bother of buying a high-multiplier launcher and saving enchant scrolls for it.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2011, 18:41   #10
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
I have not had this experience. Enchant scrolls seem reasonably rare now.

However, I would like *enchant* to be a bit more powerful. Maybe allow enchantment up to +15, +15.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote