AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old September 26, 2011, 21:23   #31
Nomad
Swordsman

Nomad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
In fact also trapdoor should act like that. It is a trap, so you should not have first move. In fact with that you should always start with zero energy in new level.
It always seemed to me that falling through a trapdoor should leave you stunned when you hit the bottom if you don't have feather falling. What, trying unsuccessfully to bash a door can knock you silly, but falling 50' isn't a problem?
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2011, 22:32   #32
UglySquirrell
Swordsman

UglySquirrell is on a distinguished road
Hengband nature magic had a spell create walls, it created a stone wall on four sides around you. Maybe add this and give the spell the ability to knock back monsters next to you. and remove destruction or make it incredibly rare. This was also a fun spell to block of corridors, and alter the dungeon so you wouldn't have to teleport the level but still had to use it carefully.
UglySquirrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2011, 23:17   #33
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Plenty of variants have create-walls spells, and I always find them to be unbalancingly powerful. Restricting enemy LOS is bad enough, but restricting their movement is too easy to abuse.

Let me put it this way: I'd accept a create-walls spell, if it were mage-only and mages lost banish / mass-banish.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2011, 23:56   #34
nppangband
NPPAngband Maintainer

nppangband is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Plenty of variants have create-walls spells, and I always find them to be unbalancingly powerful. Restricting enemy LOS is bad enough, but restricting their movement is too easy to abuse.

Let me put it this way: I'd accept a create-walls spell, if it were mage-only and mages lost banish / mass-banish.
That's like the old wand of wall building from Moria. It was taken out because it was just way too unbalancing.
nppangband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2011, 00:11   #35
bio_hazard
Swordsman

bio_hazard is on a distinguished road
It's always seemed weird that @ is almost the only thing that can dig. Create Wall would not be as unbalanced if more monsters could go through walls.
bio_hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2011, 01:07   #36
Jungle_Boy
Swordsman

Jungle_Boy is on a distinguished road
I really like Timo's suggestion about Banishment and Mass Banish eating up all your mana but I do not like that it means warriors cannot banish, perhaps allow them the option of letting it eat their hitpoints to a certain threshold.

In response to some previous posts about foolproof escapes and Timo wanting to add variability here are some suggestions as to how we could change foolproof escapes.

Teleport-level - give it a chance to have a delayed action a la Recall, not as long though. Same for deep-descent

Destruction - allow the destruction radius to be variable, from 1 square to current radius, both 1 square and current radius should probably be pretty rare.

Teleportation - allow variable teleportation distances, sometimes it only moves you around the corner and sometimes across the dungeon, usually somewhere in the middle. Could also be used with phase door.

Teleport other - this was already nerfed significantly with the change to bolt but we could give monsters a resistance check against it the higher their resistance the less far it teleports them.

I think tha covers most of the escapes, now a suggestion about potions. Give healing potions an effectiveness timer. The way this would work is that when you chug a potion to increase your health it reduces the effect of the rest of your potions by a certain amount, could be very high, and could also be different for different level of potions. Then every turn you do not drink a potion their effectiveness increases. Basically say you drink a CLW potion, this would make a potion drunk on your next turn only heal 80% of normal, but if you waited a turn or two for your next one it would be 85%-90% effective. The effiectiveness reduction could be much higher for potions such as *healing* or life, perhaps reducing potion effectiveness to 0% and slowly building back to normal. This would prevent people from chain-chugging CCW in some late dungeon fights and would also provide some interesting tactical situations, should you drink the potion now when it is only 70% effective or try to hold out for a couple more turns and get more healing from it? This could also be applied to priests and paladins spells.

Finally a suggestion for magic devices, i really like the suggestion to make using a rod or activation simply increase the failure rate or set it to 100%, the gradually lowers back to normal. The increase or reset should happen regardless of whether or not the activation was successful. Multiple rods in a stack could make the failure rate restore more quickly or the decrease from a use not be as much.

Magical wands should continue to stack but the max charges should be 25, any more wands added after that simply make recharging easier without adding charges

Staffs should not stack they are big and bulky anyway.

I think these changes would go a long way to increasing interesting decisions for the player and also would make the game harder without increasing tedium or frustration.
Old September 27, 2011, 01:16   #37
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio_hazard View Post
It's always seemed weird that @ is almost the only thing that can dig. Create Wall would not be as unbalanced if more monsters could go through walls.
This is one of those things that would be an improvement but is difficult to implement. Specifically the question of, "when should I dig, and when should I move instead" is sort of tough to answer.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2011, 02:26   #38
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
In fact also trapdoor should act like that. It is a trap, so you should not have first move. In fact with that you should always start with zero energy in new level.
I've always felt that taking the up staircase shouldn't give first move either. No one walks back to town. Taking up staircase = fleeing or scumming. Neither should be protected.

I've also felt that everything, including the player, should start each new level with a random amount of energy.
Old September 27, 2011, 02:49   #39
Nick
FAangband maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
This is going sound harsh, but it's the way feel so bear with. My apologies to the dev team in advance. If you know my PoV, then you don't really need to read this because it's more of the same. I just don't think that the current dev's have the stomach to take the game back to anywhere near the difficulty it held it the old days.

The first thing that needs to be done is to eliminate scumming, stair scumming and town scumming. Make scumming so cumbersome and boring that people will refrain from doing it in all but the most severe cases. Essentially, scumming and suicide should be equally attractive options. My guess is the dev team has no stomach for this.
I can sympathise with your PoV here, but I think you're coming at it from the wrong angle.

Scumming in all it's forms is boring. It follows that the main reason for doing it is because it gives a significant advantage over non-scumming play. So two things here:
  1. Making the game harder is likely to increase the motivation for scumming and
  2. Making the game more interesting is likely to decrease that motivation.

So the thing to focus on is taking the boring bits out of the game. Danger, challenge, choices and chance of reward all make the game interesting; IMHO the big boredom-maker is enforced repetitiveness (Eddie's "press this button to not die" mechanic).

As for the difficulty question, I think it depends on the kind of difficulty. If I had the choice between
  1. Driving for 12 hours a day for two weeks on a perfectly straight road and
  2. winning Wimbledon
- both of which (a) are difficult and (b) require endurance and concentration - I know which I'd rather do.
Old September 27, 2011, 03:41   #40
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
I've always felt that taking the up staircase shouldn't give first move either. No one walks back to town. Taking up staircase = fleeing or scumming. Neither should be protected.
I used to, at least up to 250'. Now that I'm playing with no selling and recall scroll is standard equipment (that's one more thing that made game easier) I still don't use it unless I can buy another (which is easy).
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote