Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old September 25, 2011, 23:26   #1
BlueFish
Swordsman

BlueFish is on a distinguished road
Wand of slow monster bug?

I just shot a scruffy hobbit with a wand of slow monster 3 times, got the message that he "looked slowed", then "more slowed", then "more slowed". He still kept up with me step for step after that. This is in 3.3.1.
BlueFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2011, 16:50   #2
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
This is very interesting. I can't find the code that actually slows the monster down! Working on it ...
Old September 26, 2011, 17:06   #3
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Bother. Somehow the code stanza in dungeon.c which makes this happen got elided. Thanks for the bug report - looks like we will need a 3.3.2 after all ...
Old September 26, 2011, 17:42   #4
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
there was an issue of the slowing down stacking. Was the elision a result of fixing this bug?
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2011, 18:10   #5
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I'm pretty sure we had a (possibly not released) version in between "Slow Monster is overpowered" and "Slow Monster doesn't work". If only because I have faith in our devs to test their work.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2011, 18:41   #6
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I'm pretty sure we had a (possibly not released) version in between "Slow Monster is overpowered" and "Slow Monster doesn't work". If only because I have faith in our devs to test their work.
Well, in order to fix the "wands IDd on unseen monsters don't give any messages" problem I had to backport a fairly large mon-timed refactor back to the 3.3-release branch. This was in one of the two RC releases of 3.3.1 in the days prior to its release. Looks like I didn't do or allow enough time for testing, because this didn't get picked up then. I of course had concentrated on the messaging (which is fine!) and failed to notice that the slow effect wasn't actually happening.

Before I release 3.3.2 I need to check that none of other timed status effects are broken ...
Old September 26, 2011, 19:35   #7
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Er, yes. I meant that when you fixed the "Slow Monster is overpowered" you presumably tested that it was no longer, in fact, overpowered. You didn't test for unexpected changes elsewhere, which is usually how bugs sneak their way in.

A unit test suite for Angband would be pretty heinous...
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2011, 23:53   #8
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Er, yes. I meant that when you fixed the "Slow Monster is overpowered" you presumably tested that it was no longer, in fact, overpowered. You didn't test for unexpected changes elsewhere, which is usually how bugs sneak their way in.

A unit test suite for Angband would be pretty heinous...
Heh - we do actually have over a hundred unit tests now ... and code coverage is 10.4%. So just under nine hundred more tests to write then ...