AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old October 19, 2011, 17:02   #31
EpicMan
Adept

EpicMan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
Hmmn... I just noticed that a War Hammer of Lightning that I've been stockpiling forever suddenly seems like it will do immense damage compared to before (92.2 per round compared to the 74 my whip had before it was disenchanted). Maybe it's time to switch!
The damage enchantment to your weapons applies to every blow, so if you got three blows with a whip, going from (+0, +3) to (+0, +1) would reduce your damage by 6, not 1 (+3 * 3=9, +1 * 3 = 3). Disenchantment is bad news.

Of course, if you boosted your stats then you might be getting another blow with your war hammer which would also bring its damage up.
EpicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2011, 17:27   #32
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
I learned another new thing! Getting hit by lightning can blow up rings!

My ring of See Invis was in my pack and it done got blown up by some kind of lightning-man thing. I was so mad at it that I melee'd it to death even though I shouldn't have.

I did pick up a suit of Blue Dragon Scale Mail from a unique, though. Now I can hit with my lightning hammer and BREATHE lightning when I feel like it!

Also, I ditched my ring of strength for a ring of damage I found on the floor somewhere. Woot!

Can lightning blow up rings that you're wearing, as well? Or just stuff that you keep in your pack?
debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2011, 17:57   #33
Nomad
Swordsman

Nomad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Can lightning blow up rings that you're wearing, as well? Or just stuff that you keep in your pack?
Just items in your pack. Lightning can destroy jewellery, wands and some rods (you can use the I key to inspect them and see if they're immune; most of the really good rods are), and cold can shatter potions. You've probably already noticed that fire and acid attacks can destroy most paper and wooden things. The only thing that can be damaged while you're wearing it is armour, which can lose points of AC when it's hit by acid.

If you've got the right resistances, that reduces the odds of things in your pack being damaged by that element, and if you find an artefact that gives you total immunity to one of the elements, it will keep the things in your pack completely safe. (Which is one of the reasons immunities are so rare and valuable.)

When stuff is on the floor, it will be automatically destroyed by any element that can damage it, so watch you don't use your armour's lightning breath when there are useful rings or wands on the ground in front of you.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2011, 18:01   #34
relic
Apprentice

relic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I learned another new thing! Getting hit by lightning can blow up rings!

My ring of See Invis was in my pack and it done got blown up by some kind of lightning-man thing. I was so mad at it that I melee'd it to death even though I shouldn't have.

I did pick up a suit of Blue Dragon Scale Mail from a unique, though. Now I can hit with my lightning hammer and BREATHE lightning when I feel like it!

Also, I ditched my ring of strength for a ring of damage I found on the floor somewhere. Woot!

Sorry about your ring. It was probably a Colbran that you encountered. They cast lightning bolts quite frequently. Your rings that you are wearing should be safe against lightning attacks (unless something's changed in recent versions, which I don't believe). What dungeon level are you on now?
relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2011, 18:26   #35
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Incidentally, I want to caution you that your character is likely doomed, just by the nature of the game. I don't want you to get too discouraged by his almost-certainly-inevitable death. Angband can turn on you fast, even when you know what you're doing.

Still, do your best!
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2011, 18:35   #36
relic
Apprentice

relic is on a distinguished road
I don't know if you already know this, but if you want another source of See Invisible, many Ego weapons have SI. I don't want give away too much information (unless you ask for it), but look for Weapon of Slay Undead, for example.
relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2011, 18:55   #37
debo
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
Just items in your pack. Lightning can destroy jewellery, wands and some rods (you can use the I key to inspect them and see if they're immune; most of the really good rods are), and cold can shatter potions. You've probably already noticed that fire and acid attacks can destroy most paper and wooden things. The only thing that can be damaged while you're wearing it is armour, which can lose points of AC when it's hit by acid.

If you've got the right resistances, that reduces the odds of things in your pack being damaged by that element, and if you find an artefact that gives you total immunity to one of the elements, it will keep the things in your pack completely safe. (Which is one of the reasons immunities are so rare and valuable.)

When stuff is on the floor, it will be automatically destroyed by any element that can damage it, so watch you don't use your armour's lightning breath when there are useful rings or wands on the ground in front of you.
Thanks -- those are hugely useful tips!
Old October 19, 2011, 18:56   #38
debo
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Sorry about your ring. It was probably a Colbran that you encountered. They cast lightning bolts quite frequently. Your rings that you are wearing should be safe against lightning attacks (unless something's changed in recent versions, which I don't believe). What dungeon level are you on now?
That's the thing I was fighting, yes. dlvl 28 is the deepest I've gone, I believe.
Old October 19, 2011, 18:56   #39
debo
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Incidentally, I want to caution you that your character is likely doomed, just by the nature of the game. I don't want you to get too discouraged by his almost-certainly-inevitable death. Angband can turn on you fast, even when you know what you're doing.

Still, do your best!
As I said before, I used to play Nethack quite a bit. I'm used to killing several characters per hour I'm quite ready for my alter-ego's funeral. I've even picked out what I'm going to wear.
Old October 19, 2011, 18:58   #40
debo
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I don't know if you already know this, but if you want another source of See Invisible, many Ego weapons have SI. I don't want give away too much information (unless you ask for it), but look for Weapon of Slay Undead, for example.
Really? I've found 3 or so of those kinds of weapons already, and I sold them :/ Do I need a stronger form of Identify to reveal all the properties of an ego weapon? I thought that was only true of Artifacts.

I actually don't really understand the difference between all these weapon types, to be honest haha