Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old October 16, 2011, 19:02   #1
BlueFish
Swordsman

BlueFish is on a distinguished road
Why not numeric values for Fighting, Stealth, etc?

One frustration I have with Angband are the one-word descriptions of certain stats - I have no idea what "heroic" or "superb" or "great" actually mean, and worse, it's not even always obvious which is better than the other.

Would it be ok to give a numeric stat for those? I'm sure some people will claim to really love the words, and that's fine, but maybe a parenthetical numeric value could be appended.
BlueFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2011, 19:13   #2
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
A long time ago I made a patch for exactly this. I can do it again if people desire. The reason it was never implemented is that the most relevant information had become available by inspecting monsters. On the inspect screen you are given the %hit chance, provided you know the AC. This is the piece of useful information.

For stealth it's a bit harder, since I couldn't tell you what's the difference between a stealth of 7 and 10. It's hard to convey useful information with a number.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2011, 19:19   #3
BlueFish
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
A long time ago I made a patch for exactly this. I can do it again if people desire. The reason it was never implemented is that the most relevant information had become available by inspecting monsters. On the inspect screen you are given the %hit chance, provided you know the AC. This is the piece of useful information.

For stealth it's a bit harder, since I couldn't tell you what's the difference between a stealth of 7 and 10. It's hard to convey useful information with a number.
Thanks, I'd love such a patch.

Regarding the usefulness of the number, it's all about relative differences. Regardless of what the numbers mean, fighting of 10 can be reasonably expected to be twice as good as fighting of 5 (within the context of whatever it is that fighting means).

No such relative difference can be inferred between "good" and "great" etc.

I understand that even numeric stats aren't necessarily linear in their effect, but still... there's more information there and it's just plain frustrating to wonder whether "heroic" is better than "legendary" etc. It's like the game taunts you by presenting a stat and then making it literally incomprehensible.
Old October 16, 2011, 19:23   #4
bulian
Adept

bulian is on a distinguished road
I decided a while ago that the numeric values don't tell you too much.

The most relevant ones for information are probably "fighting" and "shooting" as fizzix pointed out, but if you have probed a monster, inspecting a monster will tell you the % chance to hit (but only for melee, not shooting, I think). Conversely, if you haven't probed a monster (e.g. don't know its AC), would a fighting value of +140 mean anything?

That being said, beyond legendary being the "best", I've never been able to figure out whether "heroic" was better than "superb," and more information is never a bad thing.
bulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2011, 19:26   #5
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFish View Post
Thanks, I'd love such a patch.
Ok, it may take some time to get around to it. But I'll put it on my to-do list.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2011, 19:43   #6
BlueFish
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
Ok, it may take some time to get around to it. But I'll put it on my to-do list.
Thanks very much, that'd be awesome.

I've been playing rogues lately, so this probably annoys me more than most. Stealth is as far as i know the only of those word-description stats which is affected by equipment choices - I often want to see the numeric value to judge the effect of equipment changes.
Old October 16, 2011, 19:43   #7
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Legendary > Heroic > Superb > Excellent > Very Good > Good, is the scale, I think. Certainly the top four are accurate.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2011, 22:22   #8
Narvius
Knight

Narvius is on a distinguished road
I think more fine-grained colour-scaling for the higher grades (so it's apparent which grades are better) would be enough.
Old October 19, 2011, 07:03   #9
LostTemplar
Knight

LostTemplar is on a distinguished road
Numeric values will barely help here, because it is unclear how good a given number is, same with stats, there is no information in the game how much better is e.g. 18/100 str compared to 18/50, so numbers currently are completely pointless.
LostTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2011, 15:54   #10
EpicMan
Adept

EpicMan is on a distinguished road
Not completely pointless - 18/100 is better than 18/50. All of the stats follow a "bigger is better" pattern. I would prefer to see numbers, both because it allows comparison between characters (i.e. comparing my devices stat to that of a lvl-50 mage characters), and because I am a numbers person and enjoy seeing numbers get bigger on my character.

You could still use colors to illustrate the current rankings, i.e. dark red -> red -> orange -> yellow -> green -> blue -> purple or something like that.

I realize the combat system makes these values somewhat obscure, but that might not always be the case. In any case, we give exact dice and plus values for equipment, not just 'good' 'great', etc for damage/AC, even though the numbers are equally obscure for your to-hit chance (and damage is reduced by monster AC, or is that a variant?).
EpicMan is offline   Reply With Quote