Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > v4

Old October 28, 2011, 11:57   #1
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Stats

I thought people might be interested in an early comparison of stats between 3.3.0 and v4.

For artifacts, current v4 is actually slightly more generous for DLs 1 to 7, then significantly less generous for the rest of the game (the y axis is "artifacts per game at this dungeon level"). It's amazing that two such different algorithms produce numbers that are even the same order of magnitude, let alone vaguely the same shape. I was expecting it to be much more different. It may still be too stingy (it's about twice as generous as it was a few days ago), but let's see how it plays. The optimum distribution is probably between the two lines.

For egos, the picture is significantly more complicated. First, we have to assume for the graph that each item gets three affixes or one theme (I haven't yet worked out how to calculate an average number of affixes per item, but I suspect 3 is not too far off). Second, we have to bear in mind that lots of affixes are nowhere near as good as the old egos - there are currently *no* bad or cursed egos in 3.3, whereas a number of affix items will be pretty much unusable because of Broken or Damaged. Third, I've added the themed items to the affix items, but they are only 1-10% of the total (<1% at shallower levels, rising smoothly to 9.7% at dl100). The stats don't tell us how many of the 3.3 egos are of the "high-end" variety now found as themes(*), but the overall impression is that v4 provides a higher quantity of ego items but with a smaller proportion being really good.

Which was kind of the point. (It's quite possible that affixes will need toning down deeper in the dungeon, but nobody's got that far yet.)

(*) Actually they do, but my SQL-fu isn't up to that yet.

I've just noticed that the colours are reversed on the two graphs. Just to keep you on your toes. Sorry.

EDIT: It's also worth pointing out that the affix items include all those non-egos which 3.3.0 would have termed merely "good", and will therefore not show up in the 3.3.0 counts. To enable a proper comparison I'd need to add "good" items from 3.3.0's stats. Off to work out how to do that ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	artifacts.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	841   Click image for larger version

Name:	egos.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	842  

Last edited by Magnate; October 28, 2011 at 14:32. Reason: Ref to {good} items
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2011, 18:32   #2
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
So, I managed to construct the hideous query to extract the data on the 36 "high-end" egos from the 3.3.0 stats. (I also added the figures for MHDSM, Balance DSM and PDSM, so we can compare against all the themes in v4.)

The first graph looks pretty ugly, but it's not too bad - there's a reasonable correlation in about half of the cases. The big discrepancies are:

More than 4x as common in 3.3.0:
85x *Slay* Orc (#26)
27x Magi cloak (#7)
24x PDSM (#39)
13x Lordliness (#10)
9.7x *Slay* Troll (#27)
9.6x BSDM (#38)
8.3x Blessed (#35)
6.9x Magi crown (#8)
6.1x Haradrim (#32)
5.7x Dwarven armour/shields (#5)
4.9x Might (#9)
4.9x Westernesse (#20)

More than twice as common in v4:
3x Earthquakes
3x True Sight

This threw up some very interesting factoids:

PDSM appears approximately once every ten games in 3.3.0. You may well not see it, of course, but it's generated somewhere in levels 1-100. Balance DSM appears on average every other game!

Using alloc_max is hugely effective in limiting the generation of dross. This is the reason for the lack of *Slay* Orc/Troll weapons in v4.

The distribution curve of these items throughout the dungeon is astonishingly smooth in both cases (though something odd happens in v4 past dl90). Moreover, the relationship between the two curves is amazingly consistent, given their completely different routes to these items. See the second graph.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	themes-by-level.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	845   Click image for larger version

Name:	themes.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	849  

Last edited by Magnate; October 31, 2011 at 15:50. Reason: Added names to x axis and re-ordered data
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2011, 00:16   #3
artes
Adept

artes is on a distinguished road
Diagrams are cool.
artes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2011, 00:35   #4
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
These look cool!

I was thinking about reworking wiz-stats, and I may still at some point in the near future. However, the stats module is probably better suited at answering these questions, which I think are useful for the head to head comparison.

Damage (and to-hit) is probably the trickiest thing to even out with affixes. What do the curves look like for?

weapons with +5 to dam or greater (especially in dlevels 1-10)
weapons with +10 to dam or greater
weapons with +15 to dam or greater
weapons with +20 to dam or greater
weapons with +25 to dam or greater

endgame quality weapons:
needs +15 to dam or greater, big dice (average 18 or greater, 18 is BoC in 3.3.0) and slay evil. Obviously we have many more options with dice in v4, so this should be an interesting comparison.

If you can't figure out how to SQL this, I'll try to put it in wiz-stats.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2011, 02:59   #5
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I don't think requiring 18 average from dice and slay evil is a requirement for an "endgame quality" weapon. What matters is your average damage/round against Morgoth; I'd say if you can manage at least 400/round (per the 'I'nspect screen, which of course ignores misses and monster AC damage reduction) then you're in good shape.

Of course, that's harder to craft a query around...
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2011, 04:55   #6
fizzix
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I don't think requiring 18 average from dice and slay evil is a requirement for an "endgame quality" weapon. What matters is your average damage/round against Morgoth; I'd say if you can manage at least 400/round (per the 'I'nspect screen, which of course ignores misses and monster AC damage reduction) then you're in good shape.

Of course, that's harder to craft a query around...
18 average from dice is a blade of chaos. SoS and MoD are both more. But the ease of the query is the main reason. It's still a bit unsatisfactory, because it may be possible for v4 to create a 50 pound weapon that you only get 3 blows max from.
Old October 29, 2011, 08:57   #7
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Right, what I'm saying is that requiring 18 average from dice will exclude a lot of endgame-quality weapons. I'd say more like SUM(to-dam + (dice + dice * sides) / 2) > 50. That might be a bit high; I don't have a good estimate for how much damage comes from off-weapon sources at the moment.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2011, 12:15   #8
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
18 average from dice is a blade of chaos. SoS and MoD are both more. But the ease of the query is the main reason. It's still a bit unsatisfactory, because it may be possible for v4 to create a 50 pound weapon that you only get 3 blows max from.
18 is Aule. Eonwe, Durin, Ringil, Zarcuthra etc. have smaller dice. I think only Deathwreaker, Doomcaller, Pain and Aule reach that 18.

Try 4d4: 4*2.5 = 10. 18 is way too much.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2011, 16:11   #9
fizzix
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
18 is Aule. Eonwe, Durin, Ringil, Zarcuthra etc. have smaller dice. I think only Deathwreaker, Doomcaller, Pain and Aule reach that 18.

Try 4d4: 4*2.5 = 10. 18 is way too much.
I specifically do not care about artifacts though. If we were testing the randart code, this would be important to consider. I maintain that BoC, SoS and MoD all have average of 18.
Old October 29, 2011, 23:17   #10
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
I specifically do not care about artifacts though. If we were testing the randart code, this would be important to consider. I maintain that BoC, SoS and MoD all have average of 18.
Fortunately we do log the +dam of every item by kind, depth and origin, so this query will be doable (albeit syntactically difficult for a novice). I'll see if I can do it during my next dull day at work (Monday).