Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old November 1, 2011, 19:35   #11
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
One other very minor thing, related to the recent changes to lights; now that it's impossible to refuel torches, could the number/frequency of "your light is growing faint" messages be reduced? It's a bit annoying to keep getting that every ten paces when you're deliberately letting a torch burn all the way down before you replace it.
Actually I think that message can just go. It was not only a reminder to refuel, but also a reminder that your light radius had shrunk from 2 to 1. Since it's now 1 at all times with torches, it's almost completely pointless. I'll leave one in about 20 turns before it goes out.

EDIT: Done. It will now print that message twice: 40 turns left and 20 turns left.

Last edited by Magnate; November 1, 2011 at 19:44.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2011, 20:40   #12
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
If I recall correctly, that message goes back all the way to the Moria days and would print at semi-random intervals once you got down below 100 turns left. Once at 40 and once at 20 seems good; enough time for you to swap it out during some downtime (or at least prepare for when it goes out during a long fight).
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2011, 20:58   #13
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
If I recall correctly, that message goes back all the way to the Moria days and would print at semi-random intervals once you got down below 100 turns left. Once at 40 and once at 20 seems good; enough time for you to swap it out during some downtime (or at least prepare for when it goes out during a long fight).
Well, it wasn't random - it was set to print every 10 turns from 90 down to 10, so I just changed the numbers. Printing it randomly would be ... weird.
Old November 1, 2011, 21:03   #14
Derakon
Prophet

Hey, that's just what I remember about the old days. There might well have been a pattern that I never sussed out.

(Recent Angband was certainly more consistent in its messaging, if perhaps a bit too frequent)
Old November 5, 2011, 18:11   #15
Nomad
Swordsman

Nomad is on a distinguished road
I'm really enjoying the new fuzzy object detection - it makes exploring levels a bit more unpredictable and interesting. I'm missing Rods of Treasure Location, though; it seems pretty unnecessary to have removed them on top of the change to fuzzy detection. I'd like to see the rods restored: I think having a reliable source of this type of limited detection is a good thing, since it encourages the player to explore more of the level to find out what the blips are.

Is a shift to fuzzy ESP also on the agenda? That would be awesome.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2011, 21:43   #16
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
Is a shift to fuzzy ESP also on the agenda? That would be awesome.
Yes, it is (#1015 and #1408). But it's *much* more work, so don't hold your breath.
Old November 6, 2011, 17:56   #17
fph
Swordsman

fph is on a distinguished road
I also see that the number of stat points to spend with the point-based "roller" has been recently lowered from 24 to 20 --- is this a recent decision? Surely it makes the early game more challenging: less blows, mana and weight allowance for everyone.

(this is not a complaint --- I was just wondering if I have missed a thread mentioning it recently on the forum...)
Old November 6, 2011, 18:47   #18
Derakon
Prophet

I don't think the decision was recent; there was discussion about it awhile back and people generally thought it was a good idea. The implementation certainly is recent though.
Old November 6, 2011, 18:57   #19
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran

Mikko Lehtinen is on a distinguished road
How about making manually rolled characters better? In FayAngband they always have the maximum amount of points in stats and it seems to work really well.
Mikko Lehtinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2011, 19:10   #20
Derakon
Prophet

Ehh. Either everyone rolls a few million characters with the autoroller, or (if there is no autoroller) they sit there manually rerolling until they get close to what they want. Either way just seems to me to be rewarding tedium.