Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old November 3, 2011, 02:35   #1
Tyrion
Rookie

Tyrion is on a distinguished road
YA(my first)WP

After playing on and off for a long time, I'm proud to say I got my first ever legitimate win--a dwarf priest in 3.3.0.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to make a file dump; I think the game is trying to create it to a directory that doesn't exist?

Great fun, though. Well worth it.

Some observations:

I really like a lot of the changes in this version. I think I first started playing on 2.something, and the interface in particular is a lot nicer. I know the dev team takes a lot of flak at times, but they've done a great job making the game more accessible while preserving the challenge. Keep it up!

Priests are boring, especially since I'm used to playing with rogues/rangers--they dive much faster, but somehow always get overcome by their own greed. I finished the game with melee using the great axe of Eonwe, which was doing 300ish dam/round against evil. My con was maxed and I had a massive stack of !rMana, so I'd just sit on a rune of protection and melee until I needed to heal. Not (usually) terribly dangerous, but it takes forever to knock down something with high hp like that. My fight against Morgoth lasted so long that my temporary haste from my only rod of speed wore off while he still had 4 stars; that made things a lot hairier suddenly.

Having a kit that gives all 4 immunites is amazing. Wow. Dragon pits suddenly went from terrifying to juicy. On the other hand, it doesn't quite seem fair that some high-level uniques (the 2 big Cs come to mind) only have elemental melee. Fighting Huan and only taking damage from his breaths just feels...cheap.
Tyrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2011, 03:35   #2
Tyrion
Rookie

Found the dump! For some reason the game is creating dumps to a location outside of its own folder; is there any way to fix that?

Anyway, here ya go:

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=11946
Tyrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2011, 06:03   #3
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Congrats!

I don't know what platform you're playing on, but on OS/X I can specify the whole path when it asks me where to dump. So, I can type "~/<name>.txt" to put it in my home directory.

If you're on windows, you might be able to do something like "C:\<name>.txt" to put it right in the root dir.
debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2011, 08:10   #4
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrion View Post
Found the dump! For some reason the game is creating dumps to a location outside of its own folder; is there any way to fix that?
Chardumps should go to lib\user -directory in windows. Might depend on platform though.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2011, 17:37   #5
Max Stats
Swordsman

Max Stats is on a distinguished road
I suppose you could have abbreviated YA(my first)WP in the title of your post to YAMFWP, but some people might have misunderstood what it was supposed to stand for.
Old November 10, 2011, 18:36   #6
Tyrion
Rookie

They might mistake me for Samuel L. Jackson. Not that I'd complain about that or anything...
Old November 12, 2011, 18:47   #7
Max Stats
Swordsman

Max Stats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrion View Post
They might mistake me for Samuel L. Jackson. Not that I'd complain about that or anything...
I know what you mean, I get mistaken for Brad Pitt all the time!