Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old December 16, 2011, 01:24   #31
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malak Darkhunter View Post
To be fair some new people to the game could quickly become frustrated without lack of progress and constant dying, this gives them an option to actualy just play so to speak.
Obviously the problem my_hobbit is having is lack of knowledge of rogue-likes in general. It's not the monsters that are killing him. It's lack of a FAQ for absolute beginners. Cheat death isn't going to help with that, and I feel that cheating (death) is poor advice to give anybody who has barely had a chance to get his feet wet.
Old December 16, 2011, 01:29   #32
buzzkill
Prophet

Quote:
You might not have any other option depending on the circumstances.
What the hell are you talking about? Hypothetically, what would these circumstances be, and how is anything concerning banishment/mass banishment relevant to a player who can't surpass dlvl 10?

Maybe you should turn cheat death off?
Old December 16, 2011, 02:28   #33
Malak Darkhunter
Knight

Malak Darkhunter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
What the hell are you talking about? Hypothetically, what would these circumstances be, and how is anything concerning banishment/mass banishment relevant to a player who can't surpass dlvl 10?

Maybe you should turn cheat death off?

lay off the trolling, please, why does a few people on these forums turn everything into an argument?
Use your head a little bit, if you think i'm stupid, It's not uncommon to find scrolls of banishment in the black market(Go figure)duh. You can amass enough wealth to buy one by level 10. And since you can't seem to look into what situations might arise, I will explain it to you, your staff of teleport might burn up, and everything else, but guess what you just might have a scroll of banishment to save the day.
before you think that your right, you know some people that's new to the game might just enjoy playing it, and learning it before getting serious, but anyway that's his choice, he can play the way he wants to . Bite me.
Old December 16, 2011, 02:46   #34
buzzkill
Prophet

Quote:
if you think i'm stupid... your staff of teleport might burn up, and everything else, but guess what you just might have a scroll of banishment to save the day.
Forgive me wise one, I didn't realize that scrolls of banishment were fireproof, and otherwise indestructible, which they would have to be for this to make even the slightest bit of sense.

And even if that were the case, which it isn't, there are literally hundreds of more piratical solutions. Say no to drugs!
Old December 16, 2011, 02:57   #35
Malak Darkhunter
Knight

Malak Darkhunter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
Forgive me wise one, I didn't realize that scrolls of banishment were fireproof, and otherwise indestructible, which they would have to be for this to make even the slightest bit of sense.

And even if that were the case, which it isn't, there are literally hundreds of more piratical solutions. Say no to drugs!
And this isn't a viable way of escaping death? you must be a less knowledgable player than I thought.
I didn't start this crap, i simply mentioned something that nobody else did, quit thinking you are the only one who has an opinion.
I dread even trying to discuss anything about this game anymore, because of you and a few others ready to verbally beat the hell out of somebody for their suggestions or ideas. This is why nobody want's to maintain angband, because of idiots like you. That's my final say on it, fool.
Old December 16, 2011, 03:11   #36
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Okay, this is getting ridiculous. Cool it, guys.

Malak: the odds of having a Banishment scroll before even 1000' are exceedingly slim, let alone by 500'. Given that, I'd rather not introduce concepts that are practically irrelevant to someone who's still learning the more important basics of the game. There's time enough to learn about that stuff later.

Both of you: it should be possible to disagree with someone without being argumentative about it. No need to go "what the hell are you on about" or "lay off the trolling". Nobody in this thread is trolling. Let's keep things amicable, hey?
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2011, 07:06   #37
dying_is_my_hobbit
Rookie

dying_is_my_hobbit is on a distinguished road
Thanks Derakon for the good points, the fact that the people having an argument are all just trying to help makes it worse.

Malak, thanks for the advice, but my opinion as a noob is that losing from the beginning the fear of dying would at the same time remove the feeling/ambiance of the game and probably prevent me from learning the reflexes. I guess it depends of the player but people trying this kind of games today are probably more here for the particular experience than for an easy and welcoming game.

It's totally true that I'm not used to rogelike games (which may be a little strange because I was yet coding on unix 20 years ago and am still on linux) hence maybe some difficulties with a few conventions (and I confirm that the interface isn't always totally clear and may be a little too much tuned for people having a prealable knowledge - eg my misadventure with the scrolls).

Thanks all !
dying_is_my_hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2011, 10:01   #38
thapper
Adept

thapper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dying_is_my_hobbit View Post
(yes yes, über noob, I was just lured last night into the game due to the wonderful graphics and a post on reddit...)
What was the post on reddit about? I'm curious!
thapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2011, 10:11   #39
dying_is_my_hobbit
Rookie

dying_is_my_hobbit is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thapper View Post
What was the post on reddit about? I'm curious!
The link : http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20...SCIIGames.html

(the words that made me try Angband were "single player" as I am the kind of player who read printed papers and program freewares while playing and chatting with my wife... not really a hardcore gamer...)

The comments :
http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/commen...i_linux_games/
dying_is_my_hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2011, 10:59   #40
thapper
Adept

thapper is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I can clearly see that those screen shots lured you into the game
thapper is offline   Reply With Quote