Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old January 4, 2012, 11:07   #11
Bandobras
Knight

Bandobras is on a distinguished road
Yay, another Tolkienesque variant! So cool! So meticulously researched! Even regardless of the new gameplay, the content itself is priceless (and, presumably, falls under the Angband permission to use the Tolkien's legendarium in a game).

BTW, what is the license? I couldn't find in anywhere in the source. And could you make your source version control repository publicly available? Alternatively, would you mind somebody putting it on github to make it easier to contribute and ease your maintenance burden a bit. Github would make it easier to submit bug reports, pull requests (patches), make forks (if you don't mind), refer to individual source and content files by their URL, etc.. BTW, I couldn't find the content files in the source archive, but there included in the Windows archive (I'm on Linux, myself).

Thank you again and have lots of fun maintaining the game!
Bandobras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2012, 11:56   #12
Nick
FAangband maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
I'd like to add my general congratulations, and also a couple of specific things:
  1. The reversal of "pack AI" so that (for example) orcs get it but wolves don't is a stroke of genius
  2. There is a plan to have a Sil competition fairly soon.
Old January 4, 2012, 12:04   #13
LostTemplar
Knight

LostTemplar is on a distinguished road
Looks like FA mark two. If I will not ever play this it is worth reading the source.
LostTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2012, 12:09   #14
Nick
FAangband maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostTemplar View Post
Looks like FA mark two. If I will not ever play this it is worth reading the source.
I would recommend doing both
Old January 4, 2012, 19:28   #15
half
Knight

half is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_asher View Post
I took the tutorial (smithing was the only thing in the tutorial which wasn't in the manual). One more question- Is pseudo-ID always instant? So if there's no pseudo when you pick up an item, you know there's nothing special about it?
Yes, that is right. Items in Sil can be 'fine' (get a +1 bonus to the number of sides or the accuracy/evasion) and/or 'special' (like the excellent items in Angband). The latter get marked {special}, as do artefacts (though there is an Ability that lets you tell the difference). All numerical combat bonuses are immediately visible. The only weapons/armour you need to identify are the {special} ones. Moreover, Sil treats each special item type like it treats potion or staff types, so if you identify a Longsword of Hador's House, you immediately know all weapons of Hador's House.

Quote:
EDIT: Now we need yet another variant ladder so I can post my dump.
A great idea. I'll ask pav.
half is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2012, 19:40   #16
half
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandobras View Post
Yay, another Tolkienesque variant! So cool! So meticulously researched! Even regardless of the new gameplay, the content itself is priceless (and, presumably, falls under the Angband permission to use the Tolkien's legendarium in a game).
Thanks!

Quote:
BTW, what is the license? I couldn't find in anywhere in the source.
Good question about the license. I forgot to add this information to the packages and will fix that soon, but I'm actually a little confused about the licensing. It is a fork from NPPAngband 0.4.1 as I wanted to make use of the 4GAI code (which I have extended a lot). This forked from Angband 3.0.3. I have done my best to follow the advice here:

http://takkaria.org/angband-osi.html

to make it GPL compliant, but am still a little unsure. If anyone has an pointers, I'd love to hear them.

Good point about including the lib folder with the source too.
Old January 4, 2012, 20:04   #17
half
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by half View Post
I have done my best to follow the advice to make it GPL compliant, but am still a little unsure.
Actually, on re-reading the page, I think I'm safe, as I removed all the main-xyz.c files Takkaria mentions, the relevant fonts, and I wrote my own death-menu code.

However, I may have been overzealous in removing main files as I can't currently get it working under Linux.
Old January 4, 2012, 21:48   #18
getter77
Adept

getter77 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to getter77 Send a message via MSN to getter77 Send a message via Yahoo to getter77
I especially like the "EXP consistently for doing things beyond the actual killing" aspect---great grind deflater and conceptually allows for folks to challenge more full-bodied builds.

I noticed a spot that said something like "not yet" on a graphical mode field---I wonder if Shockbolt's excellent stuff could function with Sil? Or that Unified NPP 32x32 one recently making great strides at being all-inclusive, yet specific to each?
getter77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2012, 23:42   #19
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by getter77 View Post
I noticed a spot that said something like "not yet" on a graphical mode field--
I haven't done any serious testing, but 32x32 tiles DO work with Sil, even on WinVista. Some just don't seem to be mapped correctly.
Old January 5, 2012, 08:34   #20
Storch
Scout

Storch is on a distinguished road
Hello,

I have two questions:
  • what are good starting stats for simple "bang it on the head till it stops moving" warrior?
  • what does the combat rolls window show? Is it useful information or just illustration?
Thanks a lot.
Storch is offline   Reply With Quote