Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old April 4, 2012, 09:05   #71
thapper
Adept

thapper is on a distinguished road
Don't worry about the rod bug. I found two rods of recall, who cares if they are called "detect monster"
thapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2012, 13:40   #72
ghengiz
Adept

ghengiz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thapper View Post
Don't worry about the rod bug. I found two rods of recall, who cares if they are called "detect monster"
@Antoine
Interesting...the rod of recall isn't in object.txt, so it shouldn't even be in the game, whereas the rod of detect monster is.
Probably there is a typo in the object management code, so that the IDs have been switched.
ghengiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2012, 11:06   #73
thapper
Adept

@Antoine

In your comment on my dump it sounded as if you expected shops to have !curing. During my games they have never had any (except perhaps BM). I've found them sometimes on early DLs but not very often deeper.

From my first long game I'd say that:

Stat drain is annoying, it is hard to find any restoration. This is not necessarily bad and in my next games I'll do even more to avoid stat drainers. Currently I'm worrying about ghosts since I haven't found any SI.

I wouldn't mind levels being a bit bigger.

The reduced variety of scrolls, potions etc has the good effect that almost everything I find in the dungeon I keep, at least early on.

Finding resists to the base 4 was hard but until DL20 there was not (m)any heavy breathers so avoiding stuff was good enough, at least with good stealth.

Until I found a bronze DSM I worried a lot about confusion since curing was so rare and staffs of teleportation can't be bought. I did not find any other source of rConf and I suppose I can't expect to find bronze DSMs all the time.

Just out of curiosity, when does stat potions start to appear?
Old April 7, 2012, 08:45   #74
Antoine
Ironband/Quickband Maintainer

Antoine is on a distinguished road
Noted all your comments - thanks.

Stat potions are native to DL 20 (which is equivalent to DL 40 in V).

!Curing was supposed to be in unlimited supply in the shops. That alone is worth a bugfix release, I've just done one and forwarded to Pav - will post a link here when available. While it doesn't address all your comments, it covers the most important ones and the rest are filed on my to-do list.

Not quite sure whether the bugfix will apply to your in-progress game...

A.

Last edited by Antoine; April 7, 2012 at 09:12.
Antoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2012, 07:17   #75
Antoine

Posted as http://angband.oook.cz/quickband/minimal-20120407.zip - thanks pav
Old April 8, 2012, 09:18   #76
thapper
Adept

Thanks Antoine,

With guaranteed !curing I don't need to be so worried about confusion which makes the early-mid game much more manageable.

The rest of my comments were more like observations, don't change anything drastic based on my two hobbit rogues
Old April 14, 2012, 19:52   #77
thapper
Adept

Summary from dwarf priest: It's hard to find FA. Did I understand the edit files correctly that "FA is native to DL20? I never got that deep and even so it would have been hard to find one without object detection.
Old May 7, 2012, 17:10   #78
maciejkpl
Rookie

maciejkpl is on a distinguished road
Hi,

First I want to thank you for your variants. I find Quickband and Minimal one of most fun to play variants (altogether with Sangband).

Could you please post what is the status of current development?
Or when we can expect next release?

Thanks!
maciejkpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 07:32   #79
Antoine

Thanks for the ups. I'll do an update if I get some more feedback on balance. if anyone else would like to help work on coding that would be very welcome.
Old May 8, 2012, 13:16   #80
thapper
Adept

I've been meaning to write some more feedback for a while and I was hoping to get a more successful character, proceeding below DL~20.

Since that seems to take a while I'll give some observations now.

Small things:

Trolls and war trolls are the same brown colour to my eyes/screen.

The black market sold a rod of something (charging) and I had not sold it to them first.

Probably inherited from NPP: If I have been shooting, or casting spells, at something and get confused I can continue to shoot (and hit) by using 'n'

I can learn a lot of spells with priests and mages, many more than are in the books.

Balance stuff:

Wands of stinking clouds are virtually useless. I have only seen one type of breeders (giant fruit flies) and they are quite rare. Stinking cloud hardly hurts anything else in the dungeon (to any significant amount). If you want to minimize more, they can go.

Wands of confusion are good, confused things stay confused for a while and even get stunned when they bump into things. Sleep monster seems much worse, all things I've put to sleep have woken up within 2 rounds, one time even the same round I think.

I usually (80% of the time) find free action ("FA) in the BM before I find it in the dungeon. I almost never find it in the dungeon before paralyzers show up and become a problem. Since it is not overpriced in BM I always buy it from there. I don't have a big problem with the way things are but I could also see that "FA could be a bit more shallow.

SI is hard to find but generally does not stop me from descending.

Stat drain was worst in my first games before I got used to the fact that I can not reliably restore stats. I think this works fine, it just took a little bit of getting used to.

Elf mages are hard, I've played them like weak rangers (and they have never survived to become anything else).

The small levels make everything more dense (as intended). This means that even if I can quite easily handle e.g. single dragons on their own when they start appearing I always have to avoid them to not wake up all the orcs in the next room or the umber hulk or something else. 2 groups of creatures + some single creature in a single room is not unusual (around DL 7 or so). Since I've focused on trying to stay alive for a while to give some feedback this obviously slows me down.

Small levels and shafts (+ some detection of stairs) makes it possible to move rather quickly from town to DL10-15, so I often use the stairs rather than WoR to get back into the dungeon and have a better control of escapes when I arrive at some dangerous depth (I've always played with connected stairs so far). If you want to prevent very fast diving you could remove shafts since they in Angband terms now take you down 4 DLs, I don't have a problem with them.

I'm afraid that I have no coding skills so I can't help there.